Quiche

Quiche

This is a great basic quiche recipe I got from my sister in law Mary. You can add a different kind of meat, or omit the onions and spinach. However, I wouldn’t dare make it without a lot of cheese and some sort of meat. This recipe calls for bacon and Swiss. Sausage or ham would also be great. I made this for a baby shower last week and it turned out quite well. You could easily purchase a ready made pastry shell. I have posted a from scratch recipe for the crust  that I used to make this quiche. Have fun!
Quiche
Filling for 1 quiche:
8 slices bacon, crumbled
1 C spinach
1/3 c chopped onion
1 C Swiss cheese
2 C heavy cream (I used whole milk)
4 large eggs
1/4 t salt
1/4 t cracked pepper
1/8 cayenne pepper
Pastry Crust: (this recipe makes 3 crusts)
3 C flour
1 t salt
1 1/3 C shortening
1 T sugar
5 T cold water
1 egg, beaten
1 t vinegar
1. For the pastry crust combine flour, salt and sugar. Add the shortening and mix with a pastry blender of fork. Mixture should be coarse.
2. Add the cold water and keep mixing.
3. Add the egg and vinegar.
4. Roll the dough out on your counter until it will fit in a 9 inch pie plate.
5.  For the filling, beat the eggs, cream, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl.
6. Layer the bacon, cheese, onion, and spinach on top of the crust. Careful not to put the cheese on top.
7. Pour the egg mixture over the other ingredients.
8. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
9. Turn down your oven to 300 and cook for another 45 minutes. This time is approximate, stick a knife in the center and when it comes out clean, it’s done. Enjoy!
If you make the quiche in a glass pie plate it can easily be reheated in the microwave.

November 24, 2009 at 5:48 pm

I made this last night and it was SO yummy! Thanks for the recipe!
    P.s. you might want to add in how much heavy cream to use:)

February 3, 2010 at 4:38 am

As a general rule can you use whole milk in place of heavy cream?

February 3, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Michelle,
    I almost always substitute whole milk for heavy cream. It works particularly well in this dish. However, when I'm making some kind of dessert, I tend to always follow the recipe and add the ingredients it calls for (I use the heavy cream….) It is dessert, after all!
    Thanks for your comments, and happy cooking!

December 3, 2011 at 2:24 pm

WHen you make this, what do you use your 2 other pastry crusts for???

December 6, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Hi Christen,
    I usually wrap the other two crusts in a freezer safe ziploc bag and save them for later. There is a pie crust tutorial on the site, if you haven't seen it…it gives a lot of good tips and shows how to package the crust to freeze it. Here is a link.
    Good luck!

February 19, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Jamie,

This looks really yummy! I am going to try it with no cayenne pepper, and with bacon and broccoli instead of spinach! Thanks for the recipe!
    Susan