Sweet Cafe Rio Pork

Sweet Cafe Rio Pork

This yummy sweet pork shows it’s lovely face at our dinner table quite frequently. This is one of those great recipes that is put in the crock pot in the morning, and ready to eat in the afternoon. You do need to be available to take the meat out after 4 hours of cooking, shred it up and put it back in the crock pot. But other than that it’s one of those recipes that is more like a “magic trick” than it is cooking. I say, I’m up for all of the magic tricks I can get! Sometimes we make it into a salad with a great Cafe Rio type cilantro dressing and lime rice. But most of the time, I only have the energy for the pork. Watch for the dressing and lime rice to be posted sometime in the future! Good luck with your “magic trick”!
Sweet Cafe Rio Pork
Time: 5-8 hours slow cooking

1   3 lb pork loin roast (be sure the roast is completely thawed)
1   16 oz jar salsa (2 C salsa)
1 can green chilies
½ C brown sugar
1 can black beans, undrained
Tortillas
Cheese
Lettuce
Tomato

1. In the bottom of a large crock pot mix salsa, green chilies, brown sugar, and black beans.
2. Add the pork roast and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7 hours depending on how hot your crock pot cooks things.
3. Take the meat out of the Crockpot and shred it up with a fork.
4. Return meat to the Crockpot and cook 1 more hour.
5. Serve on tortillas with cheese, lettuce and tomatoes.

January 12, 2010 at 12:17 pm

My kind of recipe. I love my slowcooker and I am always up for new pork recipes.

January 12, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I love crockpot recipes! This would be great for Sundays since we go to church for three hours! And dinner will be ready when I come home. :)

January 12, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I wish I had read this earlier so I could make it tonight!

January 12, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Yummy! I have a pork roast in my freezer just waiting to be cooked. I can't wait to try this one out.

May 24, 2010 at 2:51 am

OH it was so YUMMY!!! Like Cafe Rio, my friend gave me a recipe for green sauce we rolled up our tortillas and poured it over top, and added some sauteed onions and green peppers. For the green sauce: boil up 4-5 tomatillos (little green tomatoes, peal off the skin first) then when boiled (in water as high as the tomitllos, small sauce pan recommended) then put in a few leaves of fresh cilantro, let cool or add a little cold water and put in food processor,or blender, puree..and enjoy. I had to share its so yummy. Thanks Jamie I made them for Todd's birthday dinner, they are his favorite.

May 24, 2010 at 3:20 am

Heather,
    Wow! A yummy green sauce! That sounds fabulous. I just planted 4 tomatillo plants in my garden and am hoping to make some great green enchilada sauce with them. Can't wait to try your idea out! Thanks for letting me know.
    Have a great night!

Lisa
    June 30, 2010 at 10:51 pm

OMG I found your blog through a fellow Babycenter.com mommy but my hubby was on a health kick then, and your food was a bit too… YUMMY for him then LOL but he's off it and OMG I LOVE this blog it's amazing!!! I'm SO going to try this (and the green sauce : )) and I'm not going to tell hubby what he's in store for HA HA HA BUT… Do you season the pork at all B4 putting it in the crock pot We always do but I don't want to ruin this recipe TIA

June 30, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Lisa,
    Seasoning it with a bit of salt and pepper would be fine. I wouldn't imagine it would hurt a thing. Good luck, hope it turns out well for you and your hubby!

July 27, 2010 at 9:06 am

Oh my goodness, so happy I stumbled upon this. I live in Japan and my husband and I miss Cafe Rio SO MUCH! Will try this soon, and please post the Cafe Rio like cilantro dressing when you can!!

Lisa
    July 30, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Just wanted to let you know today I'm buying the ingredients to make this AGAIN… I LOVE the recipe very very much

August 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I just put this in the crockpot for dinner tonight!!! I'm excited to see how is turns out. I was wondering what kind of salsa you use and if you ever have used fresh?

August 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm

August 4, 2010 at 1:20 am

Seth and Cami,
    I actually use homemade salsa we can from the our garden tomatoes. I have in the past used a fresh Salsa that Costco carries called Jack's Salsa. Hope it turns out well!

January 8, 2011 at 6:04 pm

It's in the crockpot right now! Smells so yummy! I can't to eat it! I was wondering if this could be frozen too?

ps love your blog!

January 10, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Joddi,
    Hope your family loved it! It can indeed be frozen. Have a good one!

January 23, 2011 at 2:20 am

I absolutely love this recipe! It's always a winner when we have friends over. Thanks for sharing!

March 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm

i love that you make it so easy by using already made salsa, it saves so much time thank you for all you do love the twins pictures. My twins grandchildren heather and andy are teenages now. Enjoy everyday they go up way to fast. thanks for dinner tonight

April 7, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I know this is not a new post, however I am new to your blog. I am just curious if you brown your roast prior to putting it in the crockpot??
    Thanks. I am loving your blog!!

April 9, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Hi Jaimie,
      Nope, I don't brown it first. Just toss it in the crock pot with the ingredients and you are good to go.

Lindsey
    July 1, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Have you ever used coke with this recipe?

April 12, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Thanks for this pulled pork recipe– oh how I miss Cafe Rio! The first time I went there with my older brother and he happened to get a phone call right as I was ordering.

Apparently, he really wanted me to try the pork barbacoa salad because after his phone call,when he found out I had ordered a chicken salad he was a little bummed out and made me promise to get the pork barbacoa salad next time. And thankfully I kept that promise because it’s now one of my favorites!

I made your recipe the other day (didn’t have green chilies so I didn’t add them), and it turned out delicious! I shredded the meat right in the crock pot to make it a little easier.

You can see my post about it at http://busymomrecipes.com/dinner/slow-cooker-pulled-pork/