Caramel Layer Brownies

Caramel Layer Brownies

On to the desserts everyone! What ladies luncheon would be complete without some fantastic sugary delights? I got this great recipe from my dear friend Kristine. She is the kind of gal who makes you laugh just by being in her presence.
 She’s got a lot of funny stories to tell.
Once when she met a very famous LDS church leader
(President Uchtdorf, for those of you who belong to the LDS church)
she shook his hand and said,
“Wow. You are even more
 handsome in real life than you are on TV.”
I wonder if he gets that a lot,
or just when he meets a free speaking,
 fun loving, outgoing gal like Kristine.
This girl and her Caramel Layer Brownies are both something I hope to have in my life for a long, long while.
Caramel Layer Brownies
Yield: approx 25 small brownies
Time: 45 minutes prep and cooking + 1 hour refrigeration
Recipe from the lovely Kristine Anderson
1  -14 oz bag caramels
1/3 C evaporated milk
1 German Chocolate cake mix
1/4 C melted butter
1/3 C evaporated milk
1 C milk chocolate chips
1. In a small sauce pan melt caramels with 1/3 C evaporated milk over low heat. Keep a close eye on it and stir it often. When all the caramels are melted and the milk is incorporated take it off the burner.
2. In a large bowl combine the dry cake mix, melted butter and 1/3 C evaporated milk. Stir it up with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are mixed together nice and sweetly.
3. Press half of the cake mixture into the bottom of a sprayed 9×13 pan. Pour 1 C chocolate chips over the top of the dough.
4. Bake at 350 for 6 minutes.
5. Take the pan out of the oven and drizzle the melted caramel over the top.
6. Crumble the rest of the cake mixture over the top of the caramel.
7. Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 15-18 minutes.
8. Let cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate for 1 hour and then cut into bars with a sharp knife. Enjoy!

March 27, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I have been making these “crack brownies” for years. They are LOVED by everyone that tries them. My husband calls them “crack brownies” because they are evil and you can't just stop at one or even two or even three….. They are wonderful.

March 27, 2010 at 2:51 pm

We love these at our house too. Your pictures are wonderful!

March 31, 2010 at 8:40 pm

My Dad made these brownies a lot growing up. We love 'em! I laughed and laughed when Kristine told that story. I think he is handsome too. My husband loves his hair. I think he is just jealous. LOL.

Becki
    June 3, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Can you please put this recipe into a printable format? I think it looks wonderful!!! Thanks so much!!

June 6, 2011 at 4:15 am

Becki,
    I added the link for you. Hope you enjoy them!

July 12, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Hi there, I have tried several of your recipes, and you have me hooked ! I love your blog, your recipes and menus. Keep it up ! My question: Can I use homemade caramel sauce or store bought caramel sauce instead of using the caramel squares? Please let me know, I'd like to make these latter this week.
    denisecott@yahoo.com

July 13, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Hi Denise,
    Thanks so much for letting me know that the recipes have been turning out well for you.
    As for your question, if you are concerned about how long it takes to unwrap the caramels, never fear. They have come up with caramel pieces that you can purchase by the bag. They should be right next to the bags of wrapped caramels. However, they may be tricky to find this time of year. If you were to use a caramel ice cream topping I would be sure it was one of the thicker varieties, not the caramel syrup you can buy in a squeeze bottle. Let me know how it goes! Good Luck!

January 27, 2012 at 4:40 am

Hello, Jamie. I came across your blog looking for photos of caramel to use as a reference for some graphics I'm trying to put together. I wanted to ask if it was alright if I use your photo of caramels to make a vector graphic of caramel candy. It would be an original drawing, but it would resemble your photograph, which is why I want to make sure it's ok before I start. In any case, thank you for your time and your wonderful blog. I'm always looking for new recipes so I'm sure I'll be back :)
    Lydia

January 30, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Hey Lydia,
    Your graphic looks great! Thanks so sharing my site on your FB page. Have a good one!