Grandmas Chocolate Chip Cookies

Grandmas Chocolate Chip Cookies
Pocket

I have had a lot of folks ask me lately if I have a good
Chocolate Chip recipe.
The truth is….I have about 5!
They are all great for different reasons.
This is the recipe I use the most.
I love the buttery and rich flavor of the cookie.
They also turn out super soft on the inside.
Love them.
Love Cookies.
Pretty much my favorite thing to bake….there is really nothing quite like a hot cookie out of the oven, now is there?
Pure heaven.
This Chocolate Chip recipe was passed onto me by my dear mother in law. She has been making them for years, and so have I.
She usually adds one bag of semi sweet chocolate chips and one bag milk chocolate chips.
I like to make them with 2 bags of Guittard Chocolate Chips.
These particular chocolate chips are larger than most and have such a smooth, sweet flavor.
They are exceptional!
Which is what you will be with these cookies in tow.
Hope you enjoy!
1 t salt
2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
2 t vanilla
5 C flour
2 bags Guittard Milk Chocolate Chips
1. Cream butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla together for about 3 minutes. You want the mixture to be well incorporated.
2. In a separate medium sized bowl mix the dry ingredients.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed ingredients and mix until all the flour is incorporated.
4. Add the chocolate chips and mix.
5. Roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet.
6. Bake at 350 for about 8 minutes. Do not over bake. You’ll want to take the cookies out of the oven when they start to crack, then let them stay on the hot cookie sheet to continue cooking for about 5 minutes. (I have a convection oven and bake them at 325 for 6 1/2 minutes.)
Enjoy!

June 3, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Sadly, it's very hard to find a chocolate chip cookie that isn't incredibly delicious. This one certainly seems to live up to that reputation!!

🙂
    ButterYum

June 3, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Jamie, these look so great! I love CCC's 🙂 I'll definitely have to try these!

xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

June 3, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Oh my goodness those look good! I wish I could take a bite out of one to see the inside! I bet it's chocolatey with 2 bags of chips. Yum! I just need a couple of those and a big glass of milk (fat-free of course) and I'll be a happy woman! I guess I will have to go make them! Thanks for sharing!!

June 3, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Ok So i make cookies for my husband who loves loves loves them and he alwasy says he is looking for something more. So i showed him a picture of these and he said that is what hs is talking about. So thanks for the post and hopefully they will be the one he is looking for. They look sensational.

June 4, 2010 at 2:35 am

It must be chocolate chip cookie season… these look decadent. The word “soft” always brings me right in… Great photos Jami!

June 4, 2010 at 3:06 am

They look great!

Maranda, 2 bags is actually the normal amount for this recipe, which is double the recipes you usually see for chocolate chip cookies :). Now that's how to make cookies!

June 4, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I will have to try this recipe. I LOVE CCCs. They are my favorite. I found a recipe online and so far, they are the best ones. I will bake these and see how they stack up against my other recipe.

June 4, 2010 at 6:01 pm

These look amazing I definitely have to try it! But one quick question, you really think that milk chocolate is better than semi sweet in CCC?? I tried girardelli milk chocolate once in my own cookie recipe and wished I had went with semi sweet..

June 4, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Pooja,
    It really depends on what kind of mood I'm in…semi sweet or milk chocolate. The milk chocolate in these is super creamy and sweet, it goes great with the buttery dough. However sometimes a like more of a bite and so I add 1 package of milk, and one of semi sweet. The cookies are great which ever way you go. Good luck! Hope they turn out well.

June 5, 2010 at 12:22 pm

YOU ARE AMAZING!!! This recipe is AWESOME!!!!!
    The ONLY chips I use are Guittard. I buy them in bulk so I have them on hand whenever I need them.

June 6, 2010 at 1:17 pm

These sound and look amazing! I can't wait to try them 🙂

June 8, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Every cookie I try turns out flat. What do you suggest doing? My husband says “add more flour”. They always taste fine but look thin. Any suggestions?

June 9, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Humphrey Family,
    Sometimes (in the summer especially) if my butter gets too soft, it can make the cookies flat. You can add a bit more flour (about 1/4 C) to help this. Also, if you have a pizza stone or other stone bake-ware, that can help in getting the cookies to not flatten out so much.
    Good Luck. Let me know if you have any more questions!

June 10, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Thanks!! I will give it a try.

July 4, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I've always thought that my Nana's chocolate chip cookie recipe was the best in the world. That was until I made these! They blow hers out of the water. They are my new choc chip cookie recipe. AMAZING!

September 25, 2010 at 1:34 am

Hi Jamie! I saw these on your blog and I just had to make them immediately. My daughter helped me tonight and they are amazing! I like how it makes tons of cookies so I can send some to work with my husband too. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy your blog-great recipes and the pictures always look sooooo scrumptious.

December 5, 2010 at 11:51 pm

I just made these for the first time and I can honestly tell you, these are the first Choc chip cookies I've ever made without messing something up! They came out wonderful! Thanks so much for giving me a new go-to cookie recipe!

January 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I made these last week and they are fantabulous!! Perfect texture.. not all flat and yucky like most other recipes.Definitely my new go to recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies!! Thank you (and Grandma too…lol)

January 8, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I just baked these for my son (a 22 month connoisseur of chocolate chip cookies)! OMG! The were the best we have made yet!!

January 29, 2011 at 2:50 am

Very good recipe! I quartered the recipe and it made the perfect amount- one cookie sheet full. For better results chill the cookie dough in the refrigerator about an hour before baking. This will ensure that the cookie dough doesn't spread when you bake them. Delicious texture and taste! Thank you!

October 30, 2011 at 10:11 pm

The best chocolate chip cookies I have ever had!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

December 19, 2011 at 7:22 pm

We tried these out, and loved them! I've always used the Toll House recipe on the back of the bag, but I think I like these better! I used Ghirardelli milk chocoate chips.
    Found this on Pinterest.

January 22, 2012 at 2:21 am

I will attempt to try this out. For the baking flour…is it 1 Tablespoon? or is it one cup? I'm sorry, i'm new at this.

January 22, 2012 at 2:23 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 22, 2012 at 3:54 am

^ that was my comment right above. I read it incorrectly. So please disregard my question. Sorry about that!

February 14, 2012 at 9:23 am

This really looks delicious. I'm definitely craving for a plate of that right now. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. This is definitely a must do recipe this weekend since I got my ISO 22000 Training. Happy Valentines Day!!!

February 24, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Just have to tell you I'm making these for my family for the 2nd time. I'm using Nestle's Milk Chocolate and only 1 bag but let me tell you these are by far so much better than any other chocolate chip cookie I've had. I've even made your Red Velvet Cream Cheese Brownies. Delicious – even better after a few days. Just found your blog a few months ago and love everything so far.

March 2, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I'm sure this is a novice question, but do you use your electric mixer to mix in the flour? We have a disagreement about this at our house 🙂

March 5, 2012 at 5:25 am

Anonymous,
      That's not a silly question at all. If you have a stand mixer, such as a Kitchen Aid or a Bosch mixer you can use it to mix in the flour. If you are using a hand held mixer, the motor isn't powerful enough to mix in the flour and you'll burn your mixer out faster if you try to mix flour into cookie dough with it. (Personal experience here.) 🙂
      Good luck!

June 8, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I made the cookies tonight.. they didn’t seem to cook all the way. The first pan I didn’t roll into balls- but scooped… worked much better in balls. Are they supposed to be pretty soft inside and on the bottom?

June 10, 2013 at 7:42 am

Leah,
      I like to roll mine into balls as well, they seems to cook a better. If they are a too soft for you, you may want to try and cook them just a bit longer.
      Good luck!

Carolyn
    August 14, 2013 at 11:03 am

These cookies are my family’s all time favorite! We like to make this big batch and refrigerate or divide and freeze the cookie dough. We also use one bag milk chocolate chips and one bag white chocolate chips. Every time we bake them up my husband can’t stop complimenting! 🙂 They are also the BEST for cookies and ice cream. YUM!

Ixchel
    October 22, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Your grandma & my granny must have been friends cause that’s her recipe too.. Lol & it’s our family favorite too. That’s so funny you can be happy to know a classic never dies.

October 23, 2013 at 9:50 am

I am a collector of chocolate chip cookie recipes! Having the missionaries from church for dinner tonight and they are getting these cookies for dessert!

Christen
    January 30, 2014 at 11:42 am

Love these!!! Just made them and I’m having a hard time not eating more!!!

Pamela
    July 28, 2014 at 4:24 am

Is the baking sheet ungreased?

July 28, 2014 at 8:37 am

Pamela,
      I like to spray the sheets with a bit of butter flavored cooking spray.
      Best of luck to you!

Anna
    April 9, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Just took these out of the oven and these are yummy..

April 13, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Anna,
      So happy to hear they turned out well for you! Thanks for letting me know. 🙂
      All the best,

Nana in Texas
    May 16, 2018 at 12:51 pm

I made these cookies last week for a family gathering. WOW! They were delicious. I used one bag Giradelli Dark Chocolate Chips, one bag Milk Chocolate chips, and one bag Guittard Vanilla Chips. Every one liked them, kids and adults. Thanks!

May 16, 2018 at 4:48 pm