Caramel Popcorn Balls

Caramel Popcorn Balls

A couple of weeks ago, when I was at Bear Lake with my
extended family we had a real need for a treat.
Let me rephrase that.
We hadn’t had a treat in almost 3 hours….so we were in need.
Terrible need.
Of something gooey…
Sweet…
Sticky….
My sister in law Miriam pulled this fabulous recipe for
Caramel Popcorn right out of her tick-tock and we got to making.
Let me just tell it to you strait.
We were not disappointed!
This Caramel Popcorn would be great to take along camping, on a picnic, to the drive in movies, to the sit at your house and watch a movie, just about anywhere you go….
this popcorn will put a smile on your face.
Unless you are sitting in the dentist chair.
Let me just give you a heads up…
Generally treats shouldn’t be eaten while at the dentist.
I know, I know.
You are disappointed.
Me too.
Caramel Popcorn Balls
Time: 30 minutes
Recipe from Miriam Pritchett

*Note: I received a comment this afternoon from someone who tried the recipe. She indicated that more popcorn was needed to use all of the caramel. I have tried it with both 1 C and 1 1/2 C popcorn…we liked it drenched in caramel and so I decided on posting the recipe with only 1 C popcorn. However, you may like it more spread out. So…pop to your own liking!

1 C unpopped popcorn
salt
1/2 C butter (1 stick)
2 C brown sugar
1/2 C corn syrup
1 15 oz sweetened condensed milk
1.  Most popcorn poppers can only accommodate 1/2 C corn kernels at a time. This recipe calls for 1 C total, so you will need to pop 2 batches.
2. Put your popcorn into to large bowls, sprinkle the popcorn with a bit of salt.
3. In a medium sized sauce pan melt the butter. Add the brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk Stir it all around until well blended.
4. Heat the mixture to boiling. Boil for 3 minutes while stirring.
5. Remove from the heat and pour caramel over the top of the popcorn. Stir it up with a large wooden spoon until all of the popcorn is covered.
6.  You can serve the popcorn up to your crew in the bowl you mixed it in. Simple is often best. However, you can shape them into balls and then wrap in plastic wrap. Tie a little bow around them if you are feeling fancy, and you have time in your day for that kind of frivolity.
Maybe you could take some to your dentist office after all!
I just had a great idea.
Just pass them around to all of the patients…maybe you can get a secret discount on your bill.
(Not a thing disappointing about that.)

July 21, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Looks so good. I may just have to make some Friday night for our movie. Thanks.

July 21, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I just had a chocolate chip cookie but I may need another snack now! This looks great thanks for the recipe.

July 21, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Yum! My favs! Sounds and looks delicious!

July 21, 2010 at 8:50 pm

These sound lovely. A perfect treat for movie night. Thank you!

July 21, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Yummy!!!! And you gotta love Bear Lake. Just went there last Thursday. Our family is blessed to live in Evanston, WY so we just hoped on over there for a few hours and when we all got tried we just hoped in the car and came home. Beautiful country we live in!

July 22, 2010 at 2:42 am

I made this tonight and you need way more popcorn than 1 cup. At least 1 1/2 if not 2 cups, but it was still yummy! Great and easy recipe!!

July 22, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I LOVE your “goofiness”, it is a light of cheer!!

This looks like a realllll good recipe, and I have used many recipes from your site here, so I'm sure this is as good as the others~ I've never run across this version of a caramel corn before, most of them are the “add-the-baking-soda-then-bake” variety, so I am anxious to get this one tried out soon~ (will let you know when I do, I appreciate the time you take to get 'em up here for us, so will let you know how it rates with my Gang!)

July 22, 2010 at 3:31 pm

p.s. I just noticed my boyfriend has his account on, so his name is tagged on my comment, I'm sorry… my name is Karilyn, “Kari” for short.

October 24, 2010 at 5:34 am

This is the best caramel popcorn recipe I've ever made. The caramel, even the next day, was still soft. Excellent!

November 24, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Yummy! I am going to make some of this up with some other homemade goodies for giftbaskets.

Thanks for sharing all of your goodies. They always look so wonderful.

December 10, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Quick question… Do you know how long the popcorn will be good after making it? I once made caramel corn and it was all stale like the next day (I did store it in an airtight container though)… it was a different recipe, but was wondering if you had any idea how long this one lasts. I want to make some of this yummy caramel corn a day or 2 before I give it away in goodie baskets…(if it lasts that long before getting eaten! LOL) Thanks!!

December 12, 2010 at 12:58 am

Hey there Liz,
    Sorry for the delayed response. Things have been crazy here. The caramel popcorn would be fine to make the day before. I would be a little bit worried about making it 2 days before, but one day will be great. Good luck!

January 18, 2011 at 5:26 am

This is so cool! I love to make caramel popcorns. I prefer it than those salted ones.

March 21, 2011 at 6:54 am

Lovely popcorn balls! I am definitely going to try this one. The kids will like these popcorn balls.

September 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm

This is such a creative snack idea! I love that its something different than the norm and that it’s probably a good source of fiber. I’m always on the look out for good tasting, fiber-rich foods to add to my day.You know more about the Caramel Popcorn visit at Caramel Popcorn | Gourmet Popcorn | Garrett Popcorn

January 4, 2012 at 12:05 pm

This is my favorite. Now that I have moved to India, is there a substitute for corn syrup, it's not easily available here.

January 5, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Anonymous,
    India! Wow that must be really amazing. I don't know of a substitute for corn syrup. My first guess is that you would need to make a simple syrup and then let it reduce. You may be able to find a tutorial on YouTube. Good luck to you. What an amazing adventure!

January 6, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I just made this. I have never made caramel corn before and can't believe how easy this recipe was and it is so good!

Leigh
    A Taste of the Best

February 8, 2014 at 12:13 am

I must express my thakns to you for bailing me out of this type of challenge. Right after looking out through the the web and finding methods that were not beneficial, I figured my life was well over. Being alive minus the strategies to the problems you have fixed by way of this guide is a critical case, as well as the ones that might have in a negative way damaged my career if I had not come across your web site. Your own personal skills and kindness in taking care of all the details was invaluable. I don’t know what I would have done if I had not discovered such a step like this. I am able to now relish my future. Thanks for your time so much for your high quality and sensible guide. I will not hesitate to suggest your site to any person who wants and needs recommendations about this subject matter.

December 6, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Thanks for the recipe! Love the story!

Kristy Babbitt
    September 28, 2013 at 10:57 am

These are awesome! I am taking to the teachers for their birthday luncheon. I added some Halloween M&M’s to them and wrapped with Halloween baggies and ribbon. They look adorable!!! :) Thank you!!!