Creamy Chicken Tacos in the Crock Pot

Creamy Chicken Tacos in the Crock Pot

Well the days of summer are coming to and end.
Coming to end, I am sad to say.
My girls will start school on Monday morning
and when that happens….
I feel a bit of a panic set in.
What causes this?
Remembrance, really
of those blessed hours between
4 and 7.
You know how it goes.
“How was your day?”
 ”Do you have any homework?”
 ”Mark, stop teasing the girls.”
 ”Yes, you can have a snack, but don’t spoil your dinner.”
 ”Emily, I am listening dear. Please stop crying.”
 ”Your teacher said you were wonderful! How nice.”
 ”Your teacher said you talk to much in class? Please don’t.”
 ”Yes Anna, that outfit was a lovely choice.”
 ”Does this paper have to be signed tonight?”
 ”Go and practice the piano please.”
 ”Everyone! The kitchen table is not
where we keep our school bags.”
 ”How did this popcorn get all over the kitchen floor?”
 ”Please remember to get your room picked up.”
 ”Hi, Honey. How was your day.
That good, huh? Tell me all about it.”
 ”Nate and Aaron go ride your bikes so I can talk to Dad.”
“Girls, set the table please.”
Doesn’t really seem like there is a lot of
time left over to prepare a fancy gourmet meal, now does there.
When school starts it seems I’m always eager to make recipes that can be thrown in the crock pot that morning,
or take minimal effort after school.
You like to do that too?
Well.
Great minds think a like.
These Creamy Chicken Tacos are seriously so yummy and easy.
Just what you need on a busy weekday.
The chicken is very saucy, creamy, flavorful…! Woo Hoo!
 It could be used as a dip, as well as a taco filling.
YUM!
YUM, is what we need on a school day every day!
YUM, without a lot of fuss.
Creamy Chicken Tacos
Time: 10 minutes prep! + 5 hours to cook
Recipe created by Jamie Cooks It Up!
5 FROZEN chicken breasts (don’t you love it when you can start with frozen! Me too…)
1 1/2 C salsa
2 cans cream of chicken soup (I use 98% fat free)
2 1/2 T taco seasoning
1 T maple syrup (Yum. Trust me. It adds a lot of yum….
 and I know you have some in your pantry!)
1 t lime juice (you can use bottled)
1 T butter
1/2 C sour cream (I use light)
Serve over Tortilla chips or Tortillas.  Top with tomatoes, onions, cheddar cheese, lettuce, perhaps a little cilantro,  sliced avocado? Maybe we are gourmet after all!
1. Spray the inside of your crock pot with cooking spray and place the FROZEN chicken breasts inside.
2. In a small mixing bowl stir together all other ingredients but the butter and sour cream.
3. Pour the sauce over the top of the chicken. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 7-8 hours.
4. Take the chicken out of the crock and onto a plate. Shred it all up with a fork and throw it back in.
5. Add the little pat of butter and the sour cream, stir it all around until incorporated.
6. Cook for 1 more hour.
Serve with chips and cheese.
Or on a tortilla with taco fixins.
Enjoy!
Good luck with your after school chaos!
May the force be with you.
And with me.

August 16, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Hi Jamie! Can this be cooked in the crock pot on low? I'm at work for 8 hours a day (as is my husband), so I love crock pot recipes that can sit on low all day while we are gone. Thanks!

August 16, 2010 at 3:03 pm

That looks fantastic!! Gotta love the ease of the crock pot :)

August 16, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Rachel,
    Yes you can cook it on low for 7-8 hours. Thanks for the question! Have a great one!

August 16, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Have I told that I want to be just like you when I grow up? You have the most wonderful recipes! I will be adding this one to the back to school menu. Thanks for your hard work!

August 16, 2010 at 8:54 pm

hahahhaa…..I don't know how you have time to blog! I love your posts, I don't always comment, but I do read them.

August 17, 2010 at 3:27 am

Hey Jamie, I made this tonight for dinner and it was WONDERFUL!! I added a few green chilies to give it an extra kick and served it with your Cilantro lime rice. It was perfect-Thank you :)

August 17, 2010 at 3:39 am

Meliss my wonderful sis,
    So glad you guys liked it. Great idea with the chilies. I'll have to try that next time!
    Love ya,

August 17, 2010 at 3:55 am

I love crock pot meals! Thanks for this!

Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

August 17, 2010 at 6:12 pm

YUM! The crock pot is seriously my best friend all year round. And I am making this tonight!! Going to go throw the chicken in it right now. So glad I took a moment to check out your blog. Thanks for the great recipes. Keep them coming!

August 17, 2010 at 6:12 pm

August 18, 2010 at 2:19 am

Sounds really good and easy! One the family will like!

February 7, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Can I make this the day before Thanksgiving (today) wihtout any reheating issues? I can save crunchy onions until serving time but do you have any reheating suggestions?

August 18, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I made this for my family last night. It was a big hit. I'm going to use the leftovers tonight in a casserole. Thanks, for great new recipes!

August 18, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I made this Monday night and served it with your Mexican Rice Salad. Even my picky son who doesn't like spicy foods ate it. I also added roasted green chiles to the pot. I omitted the sour cream, and replaced one can of cream of chicken soup with cream of celery.

Thank you for inspiring me to cook for my family again.

Busybee
    August 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I made this for dinner last night and it was a real winner. This is sure to be a family favorite – and a mom favorite, too, since it's so easy to prepare.

August 26, 2010 at 4:56 pm

This looks fabulous! Thanks for the idea!

August 27, 2010 at 4:13 am

You were my hero tonight!! I made this baby up for my family that hasn't eaten a decent meal in weeks and it was a big hit! I just wish I didn't leave your recipe up on my computer screen so my hubby saw how easy it was to put together!:) I was thinking cream cheese might also make a yummy addition since I am not a spice it up kind a gal, it might kick it DOWN a few notches?! You're the Best!! Loves

September 1, 2010 at 2:17 am

Another awesome meal – just had this for dinner! My family isn't big on all the veggies in the salsa – so I strained the salsa and used the flavorful juices! I made a half of the recipe and used a medium size crackpot. The last 20 minutes of the 1 hour part I headed 1/2 a bag of Trader Joes frozen corn. This was good as is. BUT then we made a casserole out of the mixture with a little sauce at bottom, then corn tortillas, then the chicken mixture, then cheese – repeated 3x and topped with tortillas and cheese – baked at 350 for 25 minutes, let stand 5-10 like a lasagna but mexican style – served with refried beans – very good! Thanks so much for the recipes and the inspiration!

September 27, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Made this last week, it was so YUMMY!!! This is a definite keeper and go-to for me now. I used the leftovers to make creamy chicken taco soup. So good too. Thanks for the great recipes.

September 27, 2010 at 2:02 pm

April 6, 2011 at 12:28 am

Hi Jamie- You always have great recipes! I was wondering if you have made this with cr of mush soup, or any other than cr of chx? I have a huge aversion to cr of chx soup, but think the recipe looks great otherwise!
    Thanks,
    Shannon

April 6, 2011 at 1:19 am

Hi Shannon,
    I haven't ever tried it with cream of mushroom. I bet it would still turn out pretty well. Let me know if you try it. Thanks!

May 23, 2011 at 12:31 am

May 23, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I Love your blog! I tried this recipe but i use bottled chicken and put everything together in the crocpot for a hour and half and i know its going to be yummy for dinner..it smells so good..Thank you for your great ideas..i love them i look her for dinner ideas atleast 5 days a week..

September 30, 2011 at 3:10 am

Absolutely Wonderful. THanks again for an amazing crock pot recipe. My family LOVED this and soooooo easy.

October 24, 2011 at 12:02 am

This recipe looks wonderful! Can't wait to try it. I was just wondering–and this may be a really silly question–if the maple syrup in the recipe needs to be real maple syrup. In our home we buy Eggo “Lite syrup,” which is definitely different than the legit stuff. So, will any kind of mapley syrup do or does it need to be the real deal? Thanks!

October 24, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Hi Courtney,
    Just use the stuff you have. Should be fine.
    Thanks!

November 12, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Hey Jamie. I just have to tell you that I LOVE your blog! 2-3 of the meals I make each week come from your blog. Every Monday before I do my shopping I just jump on here to see what new recipes you've posted. This creamy chicken taco recipe is one of my and my husband's favorites. It's so easy and SO YUMMY! I almost always have all the ingredients on hand so we make it all the time. Thanks so much for all your delicious recipes!

January 21, 2012 at 1:41 pm

this is delicious! My 20 month old and I ate all of it – a new favorite, once a week!

April 3, 2012 at 3:38 am

Do you use chicken taco seasoning or beef taco seasoning? Sounds yummy :)

April 3, 2012 at 3:58 am

Hello!
      I'm not familiar with taco seasoning that is either beef or chicken flavored. The McKormick brand I use doesn't specify. However, if you have a choice I would use chicken taco seasoning for this recipe. Good luck to you!

April 10, 2012 at 4:34 am

Jamie, YET ANOTHER WINNER! I am going to make this and use that one can of cream of celery soup… so many ideas on the comments! xoxoxox

Trimble
    September 30, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Have you ever made this w/ green salsa?

October 1, 2012 at 7:13 am

Trimble,
      I haven’t, but have often wondered how it would turn out. Let me know if you try it and how it goes.

Trimble
    October 2, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I’m making this right now (with the green salsa) and wondering if the last hour is on low or high? Thanks!

October 3, 2012 at 7:11 am

Trimble,
      You just want the ingredients to get warmed through during the last hour. So, low or high would work fine…depending on how fast your crock pot cooks. Hope it turned out well!

Trimble
    October 4, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Sorry to be taking over on the comments. I made this with the green salsa and it was fabulous! Thank you for another yummy recipe!

Stephanie
    November 28, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Is the Cream of Chicken soup two small or two family size cans? Thanks!!

Karen
    December 4, 2012 at 12:46 pm

This was so good, and super easy! I love starting with frozen chicken, makes it faster, easier, and less messy. Seasoninwas perfect. We did think it was a little too soupy, but then we just used a slotted spoon to serve, and the remaining liquid was like a Mexican chicken soup. Yum! To shred the chicken I used the paddle attachment on my stand mixer, so that cut the bulk of the work out of the meal. Thanks for sharing! My crock pot will no longer collect dust!