No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

Hello to every single one of you.
And hello to every married one of you as well.
I have a very easy and yummy recipe for you on this summer day.
This past weekend my daughter Emily and I were at home together while the rest of our family was at Bear Lake. She and I had a few events to attend, and so..
it was a mother daughter weekend of sorts.
Emily said it was the best weekend ever
“because nobody was around to bug me, Mom!”
I’m pretty sure I bug her too….
but just suffice it to say that this mother has a lot more patience
when attending to 1 child as opposed to 5. I think she enjoyed it!

On Sunday afternoon she and I made a batch of these tasty
No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies.
I got this recipe 16 years ago, just before I got married and MyHandsomeHusband and I started our life together.
The recipe was given to me at one of those fun
everybody bring your favorite recipe to the bride
wedding showers.
I have kept all of the recipes I received that day,
and have to chuckle a little bit each time I get one out.
Chuckle?
Yes, Chuckle.
Mostly because I really didn’t know a thing back then.
And I’m not just talking about cooking!
Back in the day I remember telling one of my High School friends
“Don’t you think it looks so fun to NOT got to work and just stay home with the kids and bake cookies all day?”
I guess I was oblivious to the piles of laundry and dishes my own mother of 6 did every day of her life!
Back in the day I was really quite positive that I would never be frustrated with my kids, and certainly never get angry.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH…..that’s funny isn’t it!
I always figured I would love my kids.
A lot.
But I had no idea,
(and how can a person know, until that sweet baby is in your very arms)
the kind of love a mother feels for her children.
Bring on the laundry and the dishes….
(and the cookies! My goodness, of course the cookies!)

No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 36 large cookies, or 70 small ones
Recipe from Andi Fischer

4 C sugar
6 T cocoa
1 C butter
1 C milk
1 t salt
2 t vanilla
1 C crunchy peanut butter
6 C quick oats (add 7 C if you are using regular oats)

1. Put the sugar, cocoa, butter, milk, and salt in a large sauce pan. Over medium high heat bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally.

2. When it comes to a boil, put on a grin like Emily here! Let it boil while you stir it constantly for 3 minutes.

3. Remove from the heat and add your vanilla, peanut butter, and oats.

4. Stir it around until it is all incorporated. It will seem a bit thin at first, but don’t you worry your pretty little head…it’s going to set up.

5. Drop by large spoonfuls onto wax paper. Don’t have any wax paper? No worries, just spoon the batter onto a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
6. Let the cookies cool and set up for about 20 minutes, then you are ready to chow down!

August 12, 2010 at 2:37 am

I love no bake cookies. I don't put the peanut butter in my recipe, but I may just have to try this out. Yum.

August 12, 2010 at 2:50 am

oh yummy – thanks for all the work you put into your posts….LOVE your blog!

August 12, 2010 at 3:04 am

Even though there are dozens of variations for this recipe, it's still one of my favorites cookies!

August 12, 2010 at 3:57 am

I love these things! Never made it with crunchy peanut butter- I'll have to try it next time! Thanks!

August 12, 2010 at 11:05 am

Oh I first made these years ago in Home Ec class and fell in love with them! They are sooooo good! I should make some later today.

August 12, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Thank you for this post!! I've been wondering what to make for my addition to some gift baskets for a Ward dinner party tonight (the winners of some cook-offs are going to be given gift baskets), and I had absolutely no idea what my contribution would be (“2 dozen whatevers” is what my instructions were) – until I saw this posting… I LOVE these cookies!!! Thank you for your contribution to my inspiration coming in here at such an early time! Have a super day~

August 12, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I have made these cookies since I was a teenager, and can you believe I NEVER DOUBLED THE RECIPE?? Cause your recipe is mine, except doubled. I will be making the DOUBLED RECIPE today! My family will cry with happiness!

February 7, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I have been patiently winiatg to see the baby bump and finally get to see it in the most creative way. Love the picture of big sister playing telephone with her brother and sister. Great pictures ! <3

Nat Alea from OK
    August 12, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I thought this was only a Oklahoma cookie because when I would make them when we lived in Germany (military) no one have ever tried them. These were a staple for 4H demonstrations with us girls. I've made these for years and love them each an every time. A good twist is to NOT add cocoa powder and only use peanut butter. It makes really good peanut butter no bakes. And it's better to use quick cook oats verus regular. I've never had good luck with the cookies setting up with regular oats. But that just means that you can eat the cookies right out of pan with a big spoon and a nice big cold glass of milk!!!!

August 14, 2010 at 12:52 am

I love those cookies! But if you want to make them even better, substitute
    a 12 oz pkg of semi-sweet chocolate chips for the cocoa. Won't make them
    any other way. Mary

August 17, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I love this recipe! I like to take some of it right off the stove and pour it over vanilla ice cream. YUMMY!!

August 18, 2010 at 4:32 pm

We used to call these Missouri Cookies. (don't know why) But the recipe was given to us back in the '60's and we still love making it. So delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

August 26, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Thank you for posting all these delicious recipes! I'm sure going to have to try some of them! And your pictures are amazing!

September 5, 2010 at 8:17 pm

quick and delicious!

October 31, 2010 at 8:35 pm

These cookies looks absolutely delicious! I'll have to try them out as soon as I have enough time.

Usually when people are coming to see me I made this homemade chocolate because it's easy and it tastes very good even it doesn't look so good in that picture. But maybe next time I'll try out your recipe or maybe I'll just make both of them.

January 27, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Back before I had kids and back before I gained 5 lbs. every time I ate sugar, I would literally sit and eat an ENTIRE batch of these, by myself. And I still only weighed 92 pounds! GAH. I miss that metabolism.

February 25, 2011 at 3:35 am

like your recipe for these, except I think it is missing a key ingredient. 1 cup of coconut flakes. Try it! YUM!

March 4, 2011 at 3:36 pm

i make these all the time but this is a bit of a different recpice and for some reason mine have not been setting well so i'm going to try yours today! :)

February 8, 2012 at 12:34 am

My husband made these all the time, our favorite! But we recently remodeled our kitchen and put in a gas cooktop, and they haven't turned out as good as cooking on an electric stove! Does anyone else have a problem with getting the boil method down correctly on cooking with a gastop????
    They are either too runny or too dry….”baaaa”
    Do you have to be that precise on the boiling???

February 8, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Anonymous,
      Wow, that is a tricky question. I know that a gas range is said to cook more quickly and evenly than an electric range. I wonder if maybe your boiling it a little to high and hot? Wish I had a better answer for you. Good luck!

March 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Love these. I don't make them very often because I CANT STOP EATING them. Some of the recipes I've seen call them “cow patties”! Call them what you will, just call me when they're ready to eat!