Got Tomatoes? Got Zuchinni? Make this Chicken Dinner.

Got Tomatoes? Got Zuchinni? Make this Chicken Dinner.

Ok.
Alright.
How many of you have got garden produce a plenty?
It’s about this time of year that we sometimes start thinking..
“What in the world possessed me to plant this garden,
I must have been delusional.
What is a person to DO with this much zucchini and tomatoes?!?!?!”
Well, IF you like Italian food and
IF you’ve got some zucchini and tomatoes,
then you should make this fabulous dish.
My sister Alli passed this recipe on to me last year.
I think I made it three times in one month, I loved it so.

The garden fresh zucchini and tomatoes
combined with fresh basil,
mozzarella cheese
and breaded chicken…oh, my.
It’s a delight, I tell you.
You are going to be patting yourself on the back!
Congratulating yourself for all of your hard gardening work.

Breaded Chicken with Zucchini and Tomatoes
Time: 30 minutes prep + 25 minutes to bake
Recipe from the fabulous Alli Bahr
1 egg
1 T water
1/2 t salt
1 large zucchini
1 C Italian Bread Crumbs
4 chicken breasts
4 T olive oil
4 tomatoes, sliced (garden fresh is best, or purchase them still on the vine)
2 C shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 T fresh basil, chopped (there is really nothing quite as fabulous as fresh basil here. If you have to use dried only use 1 teaspoon)
1. Crack your egg into a small bowl. Add the water and salt and whip it all up with a fork.
2. Pour the egg mixture into a round pan, or a small square pan would of course be fine. Pour your bread crumbs into another pan. Cut your chicken breasts into strips about 2 inches wide. Dip each piece into the egg, then into the bread crumbs and set aside.
3. Heat up a large skillet over medium high heat. When the pan is hot add 2 T olive oil. Place your chicken in the pan and cook it on each side for about 5 minutes, or until it’s a nice golden brown color. You don’t need to worry about cooking it all the way through for this step. We are going to bake it as well.
4. While your chicken is cooking, slice up your zucchini and heat up another skillet. Add your remaining olive oil, and the zucchini to the pan. Throw a bit of salt and pepper on top for good measure. Cook until the zucchini is crisp tender, about 5 minutes.

5. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Layer your zucchini, sliced tomatoes and then sprinkle with the fresh basil.
6. Grind a bit of salt and pepper over the top of your veggies.
7. Sprinkle 1 C of mozzarella cheese over the top.
8. Add your browned chicken. Cover with tin foil and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until your chicken is no longer pink. Sprinkle the remaining 1 C of mozzarella over the top and return the pan to the oven. Bake uncovered for 10 more minutes.
Let me give you a little warning here. The bottom of your pan will be full of juice from the tomatoes. Do not be alarmed. Tomato juice is not dangerous. I generally pour the juice off and into the sink. That way any left overs don’t end up sitting in it and getting too soggy. It is yum. Super yum!

Hope you love it!

September 23, 2010 at 8:08 pm

looks delicious! i don't have a garden, but i have no problem buying the ingredients for this one! can't wait to try it!

September 23, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Fabulous choice of recipes! I just happen to tomatoes and zucchinis aplenty (and cucumbers,and carrots,and yellow squash,and……!)I think I'll give this recipe a whirl this weekend.

September 24, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Loved this recipe,made it last night for my family. didn't saute the zuccini, and layered thinly sliced potatoes w/ zuc and tomatoes. Fresh basil really makes this dish. Love your blog and the fact that you post so frequently

September 29, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I made this over the weekend. It really is SUPER good! Even the watery liquid had LOTS of flavor. Instead of pouring it into the sink, it would would be a good addition to homemade soups or sauces that calls for water. Thanks for posting this recipe…it's a keeper!

October 18, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I made this for my family and they LOVED it. I was surprised I got thumbs up form everyone. I took the leftovers to work and everyone their asked for the recipe. This is definitely a keeper. I love your blog and all the yummy recipes and great ideas. Thanks!!!

October 20, 2010 at 3:59 pm

This looks very delicious and I can already smell the flavors. Next time I have chicken and zucchini I will definitely make this. Thank you for sharing.
    -Brenda

Lisa
    November 6, 2011 at 11:05 pm

So every time I do this receipt I keep debating on what temp to cook it at… 350 right??? : ) Thanx

November 7, 2011 at 5:10 am

Hi Lisa,
    Thanks for the heads up about the missing cooking temperature. You are correct…350 degrees.
    Thanks!

September 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Tried the zucchini, tomato, chicken bake tonite!! Absolutely delicious. This recipe is easy and definitely going into my recipe box!!!

Lisa Jacobs
    September 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Hi Jamie – I pinned this recipe a while back from someone else on pinterest but never put it together that it was from your website or that you even had one! I am definitely making it this week. James says to tell you hello. He begged me to make “Grandpa Mark’s meatloaf” along with some of the other recipes he remembered from gatherings with your amazing family. We miss your family. Please tell everyone hi from us.

September 10, 2012 at 7:25 am

Hey Lisa,
      How nice to hear from you! The internet really seems to make the world a lot smaller, doesn’t it. Hope you guys are doing well. :) Tell James hello for us. Hope you love the recipes.

Christina
    September 13, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Can you freeze this recipe?

September 13, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Hi Christina,
      I haven’t ever tried to freeze it. My thoughts are that it wouldn’t work very well. Funny things happen to tomatoes and zucchini when they get frozen. I think once it was thawed it would be pretty runny. Good luck!