Candy Corn Sugar Cookies and October Menu

Candy Corn Sugar Cookies and October Menu

Well hello there! Today I have a bit of a two for the price of one deal for you all. It just so happens that I wasn’t able to get my October Menu up and over the weekend. And it just so happens that I made these fun cookies on Sunday night and really couldn’t wait to get them posted. So….two posts in one. A little Menu action with a little Cookie action mixed right in.

Here is my October Menu. The recipes that show up as links are fabulous meals I have posted in the past, the ones in black are recipes I hope to post in the future.

Keep on a scrollin’ for the cookie instructions.

OCTOBER MENU
Roast Beef with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
French Bread Pizza

Pear Salad with Cinnamon Walnuts
Halloween Chocolate Cut-Out Cookies
Sugar Cookies!!!!
Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Just a word about these cookies.  They are TASTY!!!! and so fun to make. I decorated the first few and then let my kids loose to do the rest. They had a great time! Hope you give them a try.

We are entering the baking season everyone!

Heaven help us.

Candy Corn Sugar Cookies
Time: 90 minutes
Yield: 48 cookies
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
Cookies:
2 white cake mixes (I used Duncan Hines)
1 C melted butter
2 eggs
5 T sour cream
1/4 C flour
1/2 t almond extract (or vanilla)
1/2 t yellow food coloring gel
1/2 t orange food coloring gel
Frosting:
6 T softened butter
3 C powdered sugar
1/4 t almond extract (or vanilla)
4-5 T milk
COOKIES
1. Mix all cookie ingredients (except the food coloring!) in a stand mixer, or with a wooden spoon until nicely combined.
2. Split the dough into thirds. Add the yellow food coloring to one section and the orange to another. Split each color into two sections.
2. With a rolling pin roll each section (you should have 6 now, 2 of each color) into a rectangle. Mine were about 9 inches long…..
…..and 4 inches wide. Now, you don’t need to be this exact. The most important thing is that all of the sections are rolled out to be about the same size. Don’t worry about it being perfect. Perfect is EXTREMELY overrated and not very fun, actually.
3. Take a pizza cutter and cut each triangle into thirds.

4. Gently place a yellow, orange and white strip of dough together. Press the seams down a bit with your fingers so they begin to stick. Again with the “they don’t need to be perfect.” If the strips break a bit while you are moving them around, don’t sweat it! Just press them back together and all will be well.

5. Take a sharp knife and cut the strips into triangles.

You can see here that there are two little triangles left at each end. I actually ended up rolling these into balls and baking them as round cookies. You could do that, or just eat the dough. Or just bake some small triangles. What ever suits your fancy.
 6. Gently place each cookie on a cookie sheet. I used a spatula, slipping it under each triangle to help assist it to the sheet. Some of them came a part just a bit, but no worries! Just press the seams  back together on the sheet. The baking really helps to fuse them together.
7. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. (For Convection Ovens bake at 325 for 6 1/2 minutes.)  Let them cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
FROSTING
1. In a stand mixer, or with hand held beaters mix all frosting ingredients excepting the food coloring. Beat it well! You want it to have a bit of a whipped feel to it.
2. Divide the frosting into thirds and place in separate bowls. Color the frosting with the food coloring.
3. Place each color in it’s own zip lock bag and tie the top with a twist tie. Cut a small tip in the end and decorate your cookies as desired!
Good Luck! Have a fun time!

October 4, 2010 at 3:48 am

Absolutely LOVE these cookies!

October 4, 2010 at 4:10 am

The October menu looks so good! And the cookies do too!!

October 4, 2010 at 4:11 am

I'm a total candy corn fan so will definitely give them a try!!

October 4, 2010 at 4:16 am

Those are cute!

October 4, 2010 at 6:52 am

ok, seriously those are adorable!!! I WILL be making these ASAP

October 4, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I made candy corn coookies last year but they were not frosted. I really need to make them again. You menu looks awesome as usual.

October 4, 2010 at 3:03 pm

These turned out absolutely darling!

October 4, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Truly adorable. And since I'm not a big fan of actual candy corn, I would much prefer these cookies instead.

October 4, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Your menu sounds delicious. I can't wait for some of those recipes. My mother in law made your taco soup on Saturday and it was so good. Thank you. Those cookies look so good too. I can't wait to try them. Thank you. How is the hillside holding up with with rain? I hope you don't get a mudslide to top off all the ash and smoke you had to deal with.

October 4, 2010 at 7:09 pm

These are so fun! I really need to get into the kitchen now.

October 4, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Great menu ideas! I am so excited that cooler weather is here(I hope!), so I can pull out my arsenal of soup and stew recipes. The baking bug always bites in the behind this time of year, which is not good for my pre holiday waistline! Stretchy pants, anyone?

October 4, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Thanks for posting your menus

October 5, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Thanks for your sweet comments everyone!

Tori, so glad the Taco Soup was a hit! We are doing fine here…the rain hasn't been too bad. Thanks for asking. Have a great day!

October 9, 2010 at 7:31 pm

These cookies are SO cute! I am in the middle of making them now. Just a question, is the dough supposed to be sticky? yours doesn't in the pictures and mine is sticky. I have added a little extra flour but it hasn't helped. Should I refrigerate it??

Thanks!!

October 9, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Anonymous,
    I would wrap your dough up in plastic wrap and throw it in the freezer for just a bit. Maybe an hour or so. You should be ok after that. I wondered if I would need to regrigerate my dough, but it ended up being fine. What brand of cake mix did you use? Sometimes Duncan Hines is a little bit more substantial than Betty Crocker or a generic brand. Maybe that is the trouble. Let me know how it goes! Good luck!

October 28, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I love the color of the cookies they are very colorful. They are so cute! Love to bite them! We own a Wall Mirrors ecommerce site and are always looking for great content to share and help inspire. Thanks.

November 1, 2010 at 3:34 pm

The cookies were fun to make and turned out cute, but they are way too sweet to eat. We decided not to frost. I suggest the same idea but with regular sugar cookie dough.

April 17, 2011 at 3:31 pm

The cookies looks very colorful! Love the looks! Kids definitely love it!

SharonG
    October 2, 2012 at 11:27 am

Love your blog !!And really love all your recipes :)

zombiesammich
    October 6, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Would liquid food coloring be okay instead of the food coloring gel? or would it ruin the consistency of the dough?

Julie
    November 8, 2013 at 6:54 am

Super cute, delicious, and the only recipe on this site that I really struggled with. Last night, I said, never again. Today, I would concede that using the Duncan Hines cake mix and refrigerating the dough may help a bit. Everyone loved them, I just struggled with the wetness of the dough/ rolling and transferring to the cookie sheet. Will try again…maybe next year:)