French Dip Sandwiches in the Crockpot

French Dip Sandwiches in the Crockpot

Don’t you just love fall?

Yesterday my TeenSonMark made a cute comment about it. And you know how you have to stop and take note when teenagers say something cute.

“See Mom?” he said, when he opened the door to head off to school. “It’s starting to smell like cold. You know, like it will be winter soon. I love going to school when it’s cold outside. Then it’s so awesome when I come home and it’s all warm and my dear old Mom is  cooking something good in the kitchen. Don’t you love that Mom?”

“Yep, I sure do.” I answered back.

Again with my sweaty eyes…..he’s a pretty cute kid.

Don’t put him on too high a pedestal now. When I dropped him off at his church activity tonight his parting words were “You make me so angry mom! I don’t even want to play the guitar and you are ruining my day with all this practice talk.”

Isn’t that what we Mom’s do….ruin the day with practice talk?

Now…on the subject of cooking  something good.

Cooking  something good…that everyone in your family loves. That is a challenge, isn’t it! This is the second French Dip Sandwich recipe I have tried in the last couple of weeks. Last week I didn’t add enough liquid to the crock pot, and it turned out pretty dry. This week it turned out much better. Most of my kids thought they tasted great.

Most of my kids?…..I’ll take it.

One of them even said, “This is the best food of my life.”

I thought they were down right delicious! I am betting a bunch of the folks you feed will consider them to be…

Something good

French Dip Sandwiches in the Crock Pot
Time: 10 minutes prep + 6-9 hours in the crock
Recipe from Our Best Bites
1  3-4 pound beef roast
1  T olive oil
salt and pepper
2  1 oz packages Lipton Onion Soup mix
4  C hot water
beef bullion cubes
8  rolls (something with a good sturdy crust on it)
Provolone, Swiss or Mozzarella Cheese Slices (optional)
softened butter
1. Heat up a large skillet. Add the olive oil to the pan.
2. Sprinkle your roast with salt and pepper and place it in the pan. Let it get nice and seared on each side.
3. Place the roast in your crock pot. Sprinkle the Onion Soup mix over the top.
4. Let your bullion cubes dissolve in the hot water and then pour it over the roast.
5. Put the lid on your crock and cook on high for 6-8 hours. Take the roast out and shred it up with a fork about 1 hour before you are ready to serve. Put the shredded beef back in the crock and let it cook in all those yummy juices for the last hour.
6. Spread just a bit of softened butter on your rolls. Toast them on a griddle. Then add the meat and some cheese if you’d like.
7. Pour the hot juices left in the crock into small bowls for dipping.

Enjoy! Happy Fall!

October 6, 2010 at 3:16 am

oh, YUM! one of my favorites. Thanks for posting it

October 6, 2010 at 5:05 am

You have very lovely and delicious dishes! Compliments for everything!

October 6, 2010 at 9:41 am

Looks delish! I've been craving French Dip for a couple of weeks now. Must make soon :-)!

October 6, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Can I share a french dip recipe that is so divine?? The link is: http://sadieskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/03/slow-cooker-italian-beef.html
    I found this recipe and used it for a massive double ward dinner. Compliments were abundant that night, which was a huge relief! So yummy!! Thanks for all the recipes.
    I don't know why the link isn't working properly. Just copy and paste it I suppose.

October 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm

How funny! I just made beef dip sandwiches in the crock pot last night, before seeing your post!
    4 lb chuck roast
    1 can french onion soup
    1 can beef broth
    1 12oz bottle guiness beer
    all into crock pot for 4-6 hrs on high or 6-8 on low
    Can season meat before if wish with salt and pepper and garlic powder! ( I did 🙂 – yummy! Check out Just a pinch.com blog for lots of ideas

October 7, 2010 at 2:14 am

yum! just made this tonight and it was delicious! thanks for the easy recipe. 🙂 i made it even easier by not searing my meat (it was frozen, straight out of the freezer and into the crock pot. 🙂

this will definitely go into the menu rotation!

October 7, 2010 at 2:38 am

Kristin,
    Thanks for letting me know you loved it. And I'm also thrilled to know you can start with a frozen roast! Woo Hoo! That is good news!

October 7, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Oh that looks yummy!!! I think I will have to try it this month.

Lynn

October 10, 2010 at 10:17 pm

This looks delicious, my hubby would love this. I love when its starts to smell like winter too. Starting to get all my slow cooker recipes ready for all this chilly weather.

October 16, 2010 at 6:52 pm

LOVE YOUR TEEN SON HE REMINDS ME SO MUCH OF MY 5 KIDS WHEN THEY WERE TEENS AND WHAT A WONDERFUL/FRUSTRATING/REWARDING TIME THAT WAS AND NOW THEY ARE ALL EXPERIENCING IT!!!! AND I WISHED IT ON EACH ONE teehee

February 8, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Great, I just downloaded it to my phone. Guess I know what I’ll be doing while I’m nurnisg the baby!! And this stew looks so delicious and comforting. Perfect for the snowy weather we are having!!

January 14, 2011 at 11:41 am

Thanks for sharing this easy recipe, I'm making it tonight. 🙂

Suz
    September 1, 2012 at 11:45 pm

This was another hit with the family!!! LOVE your recipes, they always deliver very happy responses from my family at dinner time. This is my new go to site when I need/want something new that’s guaranteed to please. Thanks Jamie!!

TracyH.
    October 30, 2012 at 10:31 am

Such a great, easy recipe! We enjoyed it in our household last night for dinner – it will definitely be filed under the “To Make Again” category!

Sue Hagerman
    February 18, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Hi Jamie! I have all my ingredients to make this meal tonight! I have run out of time to do it in the crock! Is there a way I can do this recipe in the oven in a roaster? I need to know the oven temp and how many mins and anything else I should know. Thanks so much for sharing all your delicious recipes. I know I can’t go wrong when I make something you have posted. Thanks again!!

April 9, 2017 at 7:30 pm

I loved the recipe, it’s a bit different. I really want to make it look delicious.