Creamy Dreamy Fudge

Creamy Dreamy Fudge

Well, my fabulous blog reading pals,
December is in full swing!
I hope you are enjoying life
and all that the holiday season brings with it.
If you feel like passing out cold on your bed because you are so overwhelmed with your TO-DO list…
I would venture to say, you are not alone.
A certain girl with a low singing voice, 5 children and a food blog is right there with you.
Just between you and I…I have yet to purchase a single present as of yet.
18 days and counting.
It will all get done, won’t it?
It seems to each year….so let’s talk about fudge!

If you like creamy fudge, this is it.
If you like dreamy fudge, this is it.
(what it is you dream about when you eat this fudge should be kept to yourself, please.)
If you like a sweet, milk chocolaty flavor in your fudge, this is it!
Oh, I sure do hope you like it.
Eat some when you wake up from your stress induced coma.
Bet you’ll feel better.
Then make some of   this  for dinner….
it has chicken, and vegetables.
and hardly any sugar,
sugar.

Creamy Dreamy Fudge
Time: 20 minutes + 1 hour to set up
Yield: one 9×13 pan (about 120 one inch pieces)
Recipe from my mom-in-law Jill Eskelson
4 C sugar
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 C butter
2 large (4.4 ounce)  Hershey Chocolate Candy Bars
1  12 oz package milk chocolate chips
1  7 oz jar marshmallow cream

1. Put the sugar, milk and butter into a large sauce pan.

2. Stir it all together over medium high heat. Bring it to a boil while you continue stirring. Once the mixture has reached a “hard boil” (this means it keeps boiling, even while you are stirring) continue cooking for 5 minutes while you stir.

3. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the Hershey Chocolate Bars, Chocolate Chips and Marshmallow Cream. Mix it well so that all the ingredients are well combined.

4. Pour the fudge into a buttered 9×13 pan.
5. Let the fudge set and cool for about 1 hour. After it has cooled down you can cover the pan with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge. It also freezes really well.
See how creamy and dreamy it looks!
Just a word of caution here.
Fudge dries out pretty quickly, so if you are planning to give this yummy confection away as a gift I suggest you wrap it up tight.
Like this, in some tin foil would be perfect!

December 6, 2010 at 5:45 am

Ooh this looks like my kind of fudge–and I am PICKY!! I have made fudge like this and used the almond hershey bars and loved the addition of the nuts–MUCH better than those nasty walnuts lots of other people put in!:)Loves!

December 6, 2010 at 10:17 am

This really looks delicious. I wish I was the lucky recipient. By the way, I'm holding a giveaway on my blog for Orglamix Organic makeup and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/12/orglamix-organic-mineral-makeup-review.html

December 6, 2010 at 4:44 pm

seriously one of the BEST fudge recipe i've seen! Kudos to your MIL for such a great recipe!!!

Love your wrapping job too! :-)

December 6, 2010 at 7:49 pm

I have yet to start my Holiday baking/candy making. Every day I have set aside to do it has been torpedoed by my delightful children's activities. At the rate I'm going, I'll be spreading peanut butter on saltines on Christmas Eve, and calling them appetizer's! Oh well, your fudge recipe looks delish! I am going to work in some time to whip up a batch! Good luck with your shopping…..I'll be cracking a Diet Coke for you!

December 6, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Lovely!!!
    So creamy!!! I'never made this kind of fusge! this recipe looks amazing! Must try it!

December 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm

This looks delicious – question. I know this is really hard to quantify and is really subjective, but it sounds REALLY sweet with 4 C of sugar in addition to everything else. My “sweetness preference” is somewhere between a Hershey bar and dark chocolate, maybe a 7 if unsweetened chocolate was 0, dark chocolate 5, and Hershey's were 10. This sounds like it would be a 15! Would you say that's accurate?
    And this is no way a criticism.

February 19, 2014 at 7:11 am

Unabbievlele how well-written and informative this was.

December 7, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Hey there June,
    Thanks for your question. This is quite a sweet tasting fudge. It isn't a whole lot sweeter than a Hershey Bar, just has a different texture. If you prefer more of a bitter taste you could go for the special dark Hershey, or maybe one regular Hershey bar, and one special dark. Let me know if you try it and how you like it!

December 7, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Thanks Jamie,
    Forgot to ask – how about cutting down on the added sugar? Or is 4C necessary for the texture?

December 7, 2010 at 9:13 pm

June,
    I think you would run in to some trouble if you added less sugar. Pretty sure you need all 4. However, if you try it let me know how it turns out! Good luck!

February 8, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Thank you! It was wonderful to see you too. There’s no place like home. I think of quiona as about half way between brown rice and couscous. I’ve heard of lots of interesting things you can do with it, but this time I just cooked it in water and I thought it was delicious. Be sure to let me know what you think of it and send me any fun recipes! Love you too!

December 7, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I like my fudge creamy and dreamy, so this must be the recipe for me! I'm adding this to my candy making plans. I might have to make one batch with some walnuts added (for me) and one without nuts for my hubby. Can't have too much creamy, dreamy fudge!

December 8, 2010 at 3:33 am

I'm dumb – I read “evaporated milk” as “condensed milk” for some reason. No wonder my teeth hurt when I read that. Haha. Thanks, Jamie! I plan on making this for my hubby's company potluck so I'll let you know how it goes!

Steph
    December 16, 2010 at 5:30 am

can you use peanut butter chips instead of the chocolate? or do you have a pb fudge recipe? :-)

December 16, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Hi what size candy bars are those?The really big ones or king size? lol I can't tell….
    Rachael~

December 16, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Hi Rachel,
    Those are the really big ones! Sorry I don't have the exact ounces!
    Good luck!

December 16, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Steph,
    Peanut butter chips…….!!!!!!!!!????? That sounds so good. I bet it would turn out quite well. Let me know how it goes. I don't have a peanut butter fudge recipe up on the site.

Ali
    December 22, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I used your recipe to make fudge for the first time. It was so good! And it was easy to make.

The only trouble I had was once I chilled it in the fridge, I wasn't able to remove it from the pan easily. To remedy this, I let it sit out at room temperature to soften up, then I was better able to cut it up into small pieces and package it up. (this is probably common knowledge for some, but since I had never made fudge I wasn't sure what to do)

The texture is divine, and I love that I didn't have to use a candy thermometer (which is lost in storage somewhere, hah).

The comments I received from everyone who tried it is that they loved it. Thank you SO MUCH for this recipe. I was always a little intimidated to make fudge, and this was very simple and it tasted amazing.

December 23, 2010 at 3:23 am

Oooh, thanks for the tip, Ali!
    Jamie, mine is cooling as we speak. I tasted it and it's fabulous! My arm is about to fall off from stirring, but this was worth it! I used semi-sweet chips, a Ghiradelli dark, and Dove milk chocolate bar. Thanks for the recipe!

March 10, 2011 at 6:36 am

The fudge really looks so perfect and tempting to me! I can't wait to try this one.

November 26, 2011 at 1:21 am

Hi. How large are the candy bars? Smores size or larger?

November 30, 2011 at 9:00 pm

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I have been wanting to make this for a long time. I am an usher for the Texas A&M football games and one of the times I asked a section of my fans if they ok someone suggested they would like some fudge. I apparently told them I would work on it. By the next game, I had completely forgotten about that request until they asked me for the fudge. I decided it would be a great time to try out this recipe. OH MY GOODNESS!!!! It is SO good and so easy to make. I actually used Sympany bars instead of Hersheys. I took 3 batches to my fans and they were all shocked that I brought it but they LOVED it. My husband loves it and everybody else I have shared it with. I tell everybody about this amazing fudge. It really is the best fudge I have ever had. I am so glad you posted this. You make me look SO good. Thanks a million!!

December 10, 2011 at 3:58 am

Jamie,

So, I made these and the end product was grainy and never set up to any semblance of firmness. I'm a little at a loss as to what went wrong! Any tips for trying this again? Thanks!!

Teri

December 12, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Hi Teri,
    My first thought is that perhaps it wasn't at a rolling boil when you cooked it for the 5 minutes. Also, what kind of chocolate did you use?
    Thanks,

December 30, 2011 at 1:48 am

Jamie,

I figured out the problem with my fudge: I didn't put the chocolate chips in, just the bar of chocolate. I totally forgot them! I blame my pregnancy brain on that one. Thanks!

Teri

October 23, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Im planning on making this for all my cute nieces and nephews around thanksgiving! It looks so good. Ive been looking for a recipe that tastes similar to seattle fudge because I know they like that. I hope I found it!

Judy U.
    December 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Has anyone tried putting foil in the pan for easy removal of the fudge? Did it work?

Jessica
    December 22, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Hi! Your recipe looks fantastic. I am just curious about one thing. A lot of fudge recipes, or a lot of candy recipes for that matter, say to not stir the pot once the mixture comes to a boil. Otherwise the crystals will form again and create a grainy texture. Do you stir this recipe so it will not burn on the bottom?
    Thanks!

December 30, 2012 at 9:18 am

This was AWESOME!! This was my third fudge recipe in 2 days. I LOVE it! I will never make another chocolate fudge. Thank you, thank you!!!! P.S. I love your blog!

Jen
    January 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Made this for New Years Eve and it was perfect! I’ve tried a few fudge recipes but I think I like this the best. You rock, as usual!

Nateline
    February 13, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Wow! Ever since that I found this delicious-looking recipe, I’ve been saving it up for when I could find the time to get the ingredients together and make it myself! I did a variation of white and bittersweet chocolate chips, and wow – it is so sweet and amazing. I’m seriously looking forward to making this again, though probably with a more darker chocolate variant.

Hoping for a very sweet Valentines with this recipe, and wishing you one as well,
    Nateline.

Amber
    December 2, 2013 at 10:52 am

Can you add nuts. And if so how many and when?

Peggy
    December 2, 2013 at 5:16 pm

In the list of ingredients it says Hershey Bars 4.4 oz., but in #20 comment you say 7 oz each. Just. Want to make sure before I try, it looks really good.

December 5, 2013 at 6:55 am

Peggy,
      Just made this fudge again the other day, 4.4 ounces (for each bar) will work out perfectly for you. Thanks for bringing the discrepancy to my attention! Good luck!

Peggy
        December 7, 2013 at 2:31 am

Thanks Jamie! I’ll be making it for the holidays.

Alice
    December 9, 2013 at 4:47 pm

What size can of evaporated milk please?
    Thanks

Jen
    December 21, 2013 at 9:23 am

What size of evaporated milk do you use?

December 22, 2013 at 7:11 am

Jen,
      I use a 12 ounce can. Good luck!

Valerie Russell
    December 21, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Hey I can’t wait to make and try and also give out I was just wondering about the butter do you use salted or unsalted??

December 22, 2013 at 7:10 am

Valerie,
      I always use salted. Best of luck!

Gena M
    December 23, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I made this recipe with only 1 of the chocolate bars and it was so good! Very creamy! My first try at fudge and it was a hit with everyone who ate it! Thanks for a great recipe!