Teriyaki Sauce in Ten Minutes

Teriyaki Sauce in Ten Minutes

I love teriyaki sauce.
It’s true.
Love teriyaki sauce on vegetables..
on chicken…
over rice….
over a really fabulous bowl of ingredients I will be revealing to you on this very blog…
very soon.
Like tomorrow.
But for today?
Let’s make the sauce, ladies and gentlemen!
It will be ten minutes well spent.
Teriyaki Sauce
Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 2 Cups
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
  **Note: The sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for one week.**
  **Another Note: The sauce is a little bit on the strong side. If you dab your finger in it to take a taste, don’t be alarmed. It’s perfect when add to rice or vegetables or chicken. **
1 1/2 C cold water
3/4 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C soy sauce
1 t garlic powder (or granulated garlic)
3 T corn starch
1 t sesame oil
And….here are your fabulous ingredients (Except for the cold water. Just picture it in your mind. Thanks for participating.)  Sesame Oil may be the only thing you don’t have on hand. It can be purchased at a regular grocery store. You don’t have to hike to China to find it, or anything like that! I purchased the large bottle you see above at an Oriental Market. You get a little more for you money there. The bottles in the grocery store will be smaller than the one in the picture. When it comes to Soy Sauce, I have purchased Kikoman Soy Sauce for years, however I have recently come to find that I like La Choy a lot better. The flavor is more pronounced and not quite as salty.
1. Pour your cold water into a medium sized mixing bowl.
2. Add your soy sauce.
3. Add the packed brown sugar.
4. Pour in your tasty garlic powder.
5. Now the corn starch.
6. Whisk it up. Whisk it until all that cornstarch is nice and dissolved. We don’t want any clumps now.
Like this….Notice how our sauce has changed to a lighter color. Cornstarch will do that to ya. Lightens things up a bit.
7. Add the sesame oil and stir. Your oil will rise to the top, no worries. Once it gets heated through it will incorporate nicely.
8. Pour it into a large skillet. Whisk it continually over medium high heat.
The color will change and darken as the sauce begins to thicken.
Just look at this beautiful sauce? Did I lie about the color? Heavens no. It really will get all bubbly, and dark, and rich flavored, and saucy and wonderful. Once it has thickened, take it off the heat.
Now serve it over grilled chicken, or fish, or rice and sauteed vegetables…..or……

…..come on back tomorrow to see what I have been pouring it over recently……

I think you
are
going
to
LOVE it….

March 16, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I think I'm in love already and I haven't even tried it!! Is this like actual sauce sauce? As in, like unto what they serve in restaurants over chicken, rice, veggies, etc.? And not the watery versions they sell in the stores as a sauce/marinade??
    I am SO going to try this!! YAY!! Thanks Jamie!

March 16, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I have been looking for a really good homemade teriyaki sauce for a long time. I can't wait to try this one!! =)

March 16, 2011 at 7:46 pm

This is great…we love teriyaki sauce and the store ones taste so bland. I can't wait to make this, thanks :)

March 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Jamie,

How do you store your teriyaki sauce and do you put it in the fridge or room temperature?

I'm always running out it so this will be a keeper recipe for me.

March 23, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Hi Farrah,
    Hope you love the sauce! It needs to be kept in the fridge. Have a great day!

August 14, 2011 at 5:39 am

Looks delicious, thanks for sharing!
    Best,
    Gloria

Ashley
    February 29, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Have you tried adding any pineapple juice?? I wonder how that would mix.. CANT WAIT to try tonight! :)

February 29, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Hi Ashley,
    Pineapple juice makes a wonderful addition to this recipe. Use it as a replacement for some of the water. You may need to lessen the ammount of sugar as well. Good Luck! Hope you love it!

Lisa
    May 24, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I just made it and it actually tastes quite yummy! I now notice that I misread the recipe and put in a full tablespoon of garlic instead of a teaspoon… but I also added 1/4 tsp of ginger..going to try it this weekend on some grilled chicken and cannot wait to see how the DH and DS like it! Thanks so much – I love your website!!

Joan
    October 16, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I have had this recipe saved and finally made it tonight. It is very easy to make and tasty!

Aubrie
    November 3, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I only use this teriyaki sauce when a recipe calls for one now! I love the taste of it and how fast and easy it is to put together. Thanks for your great recipes!

Becky Ritchie
    July 11, 2013 at 8:44 am

can you use this as a marinade?

July 11, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Hi Becky,
      I haven’t ever tried it as a marinade, but I bet it would work out great. Good luck!

August 29, 2013 at 9:48 am

This is the best recipee. When my cute husband and I were first married we would go the the Layton Noodle Parlor and order a hambugar patty that was covered with this gravy and rice and fries…those were the days! Thanks for sharing!

Melissa Jensen
    November 15, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Awesome! I was looking around for a recipe for homemade teriyaki to use for a teriyaki fettuccine recipe I want to make. I’m so glad you have one . I am sure it will be amazing!

phoenix jones
    January 3, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I was planning on making your bourbon chicken tonight, but at the last minute realized everyone drank the apple juice! I found this super easy recipe and it was a hit!! I love how it made a bunch to save for another night.

Rosa Hewlett
    September 28, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I love this recipe for teriayki sauce, I make chicken and noodles with Teriayki sauce every week, I highly recommend this recipe so easy and so delicious ????????????????

Shelby
    December 7, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Excellent sauce that’s made a little bit better with freshly grated ginger :)