Crispy Chicken with Creamy Italian Sauce and Bowtie Pasta

Crispy Chicken with Creamy Italian Sauce and Bowtie Pasta

This is a compensated review by BlogHer and Kraft.

Back in September of this year I had a wonderful opportunity.
I joined part of the BlogHer team on a trip to Chicago where we met with the folks at Kraft Foods.

While in the Kraft Foods Test Kitchen we were introduced to their new line of Philadelphia Cooking Creme.
(Visit the Official site by clicking here)
The texture of the Creme is quite a bit thinner than regular cream cheese making it easy to add to pasta, vegetables, potatoes, chicken, fish…the possibilities are endless really. The Cremes come in four flavors. Italian Cheese & Herb, Original, Savory Garlic and Santa Fe Blend. I have been eager to get my hands on some, and see what I could create!
Now enter…..
 Crispy Chicken with Creamy Italian Sauce and Pasta.
It’s good.
Really good!
You can put this dinner together in just about 45 minutes.

I found the Cooking Cream to be very flavorful and super easy to use. Two things I love…great flavor and ease of use.
Hope you enjoy using this great Cooking Creme as much as I did!

Philadelphia Cooking Creme is just one of the products you can use to create an original recipe for the Real Women of Philadelphia Cooking Competition. Visit the Official site here. If you have a wonderful recipe to share, head on over there and join the fun. 16 finalists will have the opportunity to meet fly to Savannah, Georgia to meet Miss Paula Deen! They are also giving away $25,000 to four lucky winners. Not a shabby prize by any measure!
 Visit the Official site for more details.
And now, on to the recipe.
Enjoy!

Crispy Chicken with Creamy Italian Sauce and Bowtie Pasta
Time: 45 minutes
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
3 large chicken breasts
5 C corn flakes
3/4 C flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 C milk
6 T olive oil
1   12 oz package bowtie noodles (farfalle)
Sauce:
1   10 oz container Philadelphia Cooking Cream (Italian Cheese and Herb Flavor)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 C chicken broth
1/2 C milk

fresh parsley, chopped (optional)

1. In a small food processor crush the corn flakes into crumbs.

2. Add the 1/2 t salt to the 3/4 C flour. Stir to combine.

3. Place the flour, milk and crushed cornflakes each into their own separate pan. Loaf pans work well for this. If you don’t have three loaf pans, do not dismay. You could use pie tins, or round cake pans…what ever works for you.

4. Place your chicken breasts in a gallon sized Ziploc bag and seal the top.
Pound the chicken flat with a meat mallet. You will really be thankful for the Ziploc bag in this step. Who wants a bunch of chicken guts flying around their kitchen? Not me…that’s who.

5. Take a pair of sharp kitchen scissors and cut each breast in half.

6. Dredge the chicken in the flour. Be sure it gets covered on both sides.

Lay the floured chicken onto a small cookie sheet and slide the sheet into the freezer. Let it hang out there for about 5 minutes.

7. Start cooking your pasta.
8. Remove the chicken from the freezer and dredge each piece in the milk……
…..and then immediately into the corn flake crumbs. Again, be sure both sides are covered well.

9. Add the olive oil to a hot skillet.
10. Carefully lay each chicken piece into the hot oil. Sprinkle with a little bit of salt and pepper. Cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes….

….or until the underside of each piece is nice and golden brown. Turn the pieces over. If the bottom of the pan is dry add just a bit more olive oil to the side of the pan. Swirl the pan around a bit to let the oil flow to all sides.

11. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium.  Let the chicken cook for about 7 more minutes, being careful not to burn the bottoms. Burned bottoms are not advised. In any shape or form. Thank you.
12. When your chicken has been cooked through remove it from the pan and place it on a plate. Cover with tin foil.
13. Into the same pan pour your broth.

Philly Cooking Creme,
Cream of Chicken,
and milk. Whisk the sauce around and let it get all warm and bubbly. Should only take about 3 minutes.

14. Slice your chicken into strips and serve over your cooked pasta and sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley if you choose.
Enjoy!

February 23, 2012 at 4:12 am

Even my husband loved this – which is super difficult. He has already requested it again in a few weeks! Great recipe. Thanks!

Lisa
      November 11, 2013 at 11:38 am

How does the chicken stay crispy if it is cooked under a lid with moisture trapped and also put under a moisture trapping foiled tent while you make the rest of the sauce? Just curious. I hate soggy chicken that is supposed to be crispy :D

Kim H
        November 11, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I actual drain mine for a moment on paper towels then transfer to my warmed toaster oven to keep them from getting soggy.

February 24, 2012 at 9:37 pm

This was definitely the best meal I ever made, and my husband agrees! So juicy and delicious! I didn't even know that cooking creme existed! I'm a beginner cook, so this one stretched my skill level, but mostly because I was trying to make everything come out at the same time, which I succeeded! I made the parmasan knots as a side bread, which is a recipe I also found on pinterest.

February 26, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Looks delicious and super easy! Making this tonight

February 26, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I made this tonight for dinner… I used the crumb cornflakes to save time and bought the thin chicken breast.. All in all Dinner was done in less then 30… Delicous recipe and my husband said it was the best that I have ever made.. A few tweeks though.. I was concerned for the lack of spices so I added onion and garlic powder along with some pepper to the flour and it seems to hit the spot perfectly! thanks for sharing this awesome recipe

February 27, 2012 at 12:38 am

Found this on Pinterest. Made it tonight for dinner and the entire family loved it! Thanks for the great recipe!

Amanda
    March 1, 2012 at 12:59 am

I Found this recipe on Pinterest. I'm a pretty picky eater and this looked Great! I made it for dinner tonight and I will definitely be making it again! I did do some things a little different. I only added 1 can of cream of chicken soup as it was all I had in the pantry, and I baked the chicken instead of frying it. It turned out great! Thanks for the step by step instructions!

March 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Can you use chicken tenderloins instead of chicken breasts?

March 2, 2012 at 3:46 am

Ashley,
      You can use chicken tenders, just watch them close while they are cooking so they don't burn. Good luck! Hope you enjoy it!

March 14, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I made this recipe a few weeks ago and it was delicious. I want to make it again but instead of frying the chicken I want to bake it to make it less fattening. Any suggestions?

Maria

March 15, 2012 at 4:40 am

Hi Maria,
      You can indeed bake chicken. Cover it loosely with tin foil and bake it for about 45 minutes. Take the foil off, bake for 15 more minutes, or until the inside of the chicken is no longer pink. Good luck!

April 5, 2012 at 3:14 pm

At what temp??

February 8, 2014 at 12:58 am

- Insane girl! Could your photography get any more drmeay? Nope I don’t think it’s possible. This image is the dreamiest! Love all of your work.

March 20, 2012 at 1:54 am

I made this except I used breadcrumbs cause I didn't have cornflakes. The chicken was still good. The sauce is a lot I only used half of it on my pasta. It was so good though. I love the flavor. Great recipe. Thank you.

Heidi P
    March 26, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Your recipes are amazing! I have tried several! I had to use corn chex with this as I thought I had cornflakes and didn't. It was still good with it that way!
    LOVE your blog, your recipes, your entries included with the recipes!! Fantastic! Thank you!

March 30, 2012 at 1:23 am

Delish!!! Made for dinner tonight and everyone was licking their plate! Thank you!!!

March 31, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Wonderful!!!! It made a ton of sauce! My picky 7 year old said she loved it! Will definitely make again.

April 9, 2012 at 11:27 pm

My hubby tasted it and literally asked me to marry him again! Lol! My four year old downed his bowl of it as well. Definitely adding to our menu rotation!

jenna
    April 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm

This is a fatty fat recipe if I ever did see! Sorry, but I doubt any of you need to be eating this junk.

April 24, 2012 at 1:53 am

Love this recipe. and to the above poster, i figured out the calories for this, i used skim milk and less oil than called for, and my meal was just a little over 600 calories, and not incredibly fatty at all. I will be making this again!

May 3, 2012 at 4:05 am

Delicious creamy sauce, but I used Philadelphia Garlic Cooking cream instead of cream cheese and garlic. Makes a TON of food, will probably half the pasta recipe next time, but will definitely make again!

May 31, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Tried this tonight. Soooooo good!

June 1, 2012 at 10:37 am

Made this last night for dinner… Fantastic! Family really enjoyed it including my 2 yr old Grandson. It did make a lot of food but my gang loves leftovers so not a big deal around here. Thanks for sharing this great recipe with us. Found via Pinterest. AJ@queenofmynest

Amanda
    September 8, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Hi! I found this on pinterest! It was super yummy! I had a ton of sauce left! Could I possibly freeze the sauce? Thanks!

Brie
    September 17, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Hello! I also found this on Pinterest, and just made it…..it was a huge hit! Thank you!!

Kathrene
    September 24, 2012 at 8:25 pm

LOVED! Even though I made the smoke alarms go off, with guests in the house, while frying the chicken. It was still a huge success!

October 5, 2012 at 2:37 pm

My hubby and I tried the sauce recipie the other night and loved it! So good :) Thank you for posting. I wanted to try the chicken, but we didn’t have cornflakes so I made my usual parmesan chicken instead. Definitely recommend it :) but I will have to try your chicken recipie next time for sure!

Janine
    October 20, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Found this on Pinterest. Made it tonight w/ your cheesy pesto pull apart bread. AMAZING!!! Even my 7 year old who hates sauce and stuff on his chicken ate EVERYTHING!! We all ate until we were stuffed! I am writing this in my dinner afterglow! Thx! Lovin your blog! Just sang your praises on Pinterest as well!! You are making 3 of my dinners this week! You wouldn’t happen to have an apple dumpling recipe would you? lol

xoxo

Megan S
    November 7, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and the entire family loved it! Will make again!

Jessica
    December 6, 2012 at 4:02 pm

What temperature would you suggest baking this?

jackie
    December 27, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Great recipe … Made tonight for the family … Super easy and very flavor full. Everyone said it was a keeper recipe. Made a ton of sauce … I’d probably 1/2 the sauce part next time.

JEN
    January 10, 2013 at 4:25 pm

This was so good! Loved it~! The sauce was really, really good. I’d definitely make this again.

Jen
    January 11, 2013 at 7:54 pm

You are absolutely brilliant!!! I ran into your crispy cheddar chicken recipe and it has easily become a favorite. I found this recipe on pinterest as well. It looks amazing and to my surprise, you’re the chef of this as well. I look forward to trying this, keep up the awesome work! :)

Sarah
    January 28, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Made this for dinner tonight for my husband and 3 children. Super easy to make and very yummy. My husband couldn’t eat enough. I could only find the garlic herb cooking sauce and next time I would make the sauce in another pan and would not cover the chicken for the last 7 min cause the corn flakes got soggy. I will def make this again. Thanks so much for sharing :)

Colleen
    February 25, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Hi! Just made this and have tons of sauce leftover. Can it be frozen touse agin next time I make this?

February 25, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Hi Colleen,
      Since this sauce has a cream base it doesn’t freeze very well.

Andii
    March 2, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I made this tonight and it was fantastic!!! I substituted French fried onions for half of the corn flakes and yummy! Plenty of leftovers to go to work tomorrow, too!

judy
    April 2, 2013 at 5:18 pm

love, love, love this recipe… I did change it up a bit .. I used the philly savory garlic instead of the Italian and I used panko Italian style breadcrumbs… But, this is the way I make my chicken cutlets from now on…

Carlee
    June 28, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Made this and it turned out great! Only used one can of the cream of chicken soup for the sauce and still had quite a bit left over. Ended up freezing the remainder of the sauce to use for when I make it next time!

Kim
    June 30, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Found this on Pinterest and it was WONDERFUL! I’ve never breaded with corn flakes and that combined with the sauce was absolutely incredible. The second time I made it I realized I didn’t have the Philly cooking creme so I searched for a recipe to make my own. The actual recipe I found called for 2 tsp Italian seasoning mixed with 5 ounces of softened cream cheese. It was a little too much seasoning but still good. Next time I’ll use half the seasoning.

Becca
    August 1, 2013 at 7:57 am

Hi! I want to make this dish for my parents anniversary but I want to know exactly how many people this feeds so I don’t end up with too many leftovers.

August 17, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I love this. I just wanted to tell you because I know everyone likes to get warm fuzzies in their in box when people leave comments. I just LOVE this recipe. LOVE LOVE LOVE! :) Thank GOD for Pinterest because of it I’m like.. your biggest fan! :)

August 18, 2013 at 9:25 am

April,
      Thanks so much for letting me know. :)

August 26, 2013 at 7:11 pm

My whole family, that’s 6 of us, loved this!!!not too hard to make and REALLY yummy!!!! Thank you, this is going in our family recipes.

Annie
    August 31, 2013 at 12:22 pm

So I’ve made this about 5 times in the last year and its always been a huge success… But lately I’ve been having a difficult time finding the cooking cream. Is there a substitution that I could use instead of the cooking cream? I’ve been to 4 grocery stores and it almost seems like everyone is discontinuing it…?

Tara Krisch
    September 29, 2013 at 7:17 am

Jamie I need a new copy of this recipe. Its a family favorite :) Can you please email me a printable version of this please? Thanks so much
    Tara

November 5, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I’m with Annie…I can’t seem to find the cooking cream any where! have they discontinued it and is there a substitution? Thank you so much!

November 5, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Hi Kim,
      It looks like Kraft has discontinued the cooking cream, darn it. :) I am working on a homemade substitute.
      Thanks,

April
        November 7, 2013 at 12:16 pm

When I read that someone thought they might be discontinuing it — I went to the store and bought ALL THEY HAD LEFT! They were on clearance. I froze them. Hopefully they’ll last until you can be super creative to help me do otherwise!

Bradye
        February 11, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Jamie, did you come up with a homemade recipe?! I’m so sad about this being discontinued!!

Kim H
    February 11, 2014 at 6:32 pm

I did come up with a substitution for the cooking creme months ago. For starters, I thought there was way too much sauce for the amount of chicken in the first place. I googled a homemade version and tweaked my overall recipe. I now use 3/4 (6 oz) of cream cheese and 2 tsp Italian seasoning in its place. I also started making my own cream of chicken soup which is slightly thinner than the canned version. That balances out the much thicker homemade cooking cream.

February 12, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Kim,
      Wow, that sounds great! Thanks for sharing your tips with us!

deanna
    May 2, 2014 at 11:41 am

Kraft’s Facebook page shows a substitution. 1 tub of cream cheese spread, 2 T of milk and 1 T of Italian seasoning. :)

sammy
    May 15, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Will heavy cream work instead and use 1 can of cream of chicken soup?

Kimberly
    May 22, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Hey! I had been making this recipe for a while and my family LOVES it! But, I do believe they have stopped making the Philly Cooking Cream…is there anything I can use to substitute that? I’m willing to try anything, lol! Thanks!

Sandy Burns
    June 18, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Help this is my favorite go to recipe. I went to go by the philly cooking sauce and was told they no longer make it. What can I use instead. Please help, this one of our favorites

June 20, 2014 at 9:17 am

Sandy,
      I was bummed when I found out they were discontinuing this product. I have been working on a recipe that turns out a great as this one, without the cooking cream. Hoping to post it soon. Thanks,

Kristina Warren
    July 31, 2014 at 2:06 am

Jamie, I am dying to make this recipe. I’m a beginner cook, so a little nervous… Did you ever find another recipe for the creamy Italian sauce? Please help. Thanks so much. Sounds so good!