ps_menu_class_0
ps_menu_class_1
ps_menu_class_2

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches (Crock Pot)

Happy Monday, everyone!
Because that’s what Mondays are…
just happy, happy, kick back happy.
Mountains of laundry, dirty bathrooms calling my name,
5000 weeds growing by the second,
a sticky kitchen floor to mop
and
the worst
part is
am
down
to
half a stick of butter and 2 lonely eggs!
What can a girl do with half a stick of butter and 2 lonely eggs?
Get to the store. That’s what!
Right after I conquer the 5000 weeds.
Wish me luck.
Like I said….it’s just
Happy, happy, kick back happy.
Because I know you love Mondays just as much as I do, I have a FABULOUS
EASY
CLASSIC
recipe for you today.

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches made in your crock pot.
Bet you love em!

Let me show you how to make it happen…
I used a Pork Sirloin Tip Roast because they have less fat, but a Pork Loin or Butt Roast would work as well.
Also, I have made it with both Root Beer and Dr. Pepper. Both were wonderful and had little difference in taste.

1. Place your pretty pork roast on a plate. Season it generously with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Pat the seasoning into the roast with your fingers.

2. Into a large hot skillet pour about 2 T olive oil. Throw your Pork Roast seasoned side down into the skillet. (Ok don’t really ”throw” it. We don’t want pork guts to be flung anywhere! Just lay it down gently. Seasoned side down.)
3. Grab your Montreal Steak Seasoning…..

and sprinkle it on the unseasoned side of the meat. Let the pork roast get nice and brown. Turn it over and sear it on the other side as well. The Montreal Steak Seasoning will turn a bit crusty. That’s what you want. A nice crusty sear. Yum. This will really give your meat a nice smokey/salty flavor. It should smell pretty darn fabulous, too.

4. Stab that bad boy Pork Roast with a couple of forks and transfer it to a large crock pot.
5. Pour the soda over the top of your meat. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours, or until the meat shreds nicely with a fork.
6. Remove the roast from the pan, shred it all up and place it back in the soda juices. Let it cook for 1 hour more.
7. Drain the juices from the pan and pour the BBQ sauce in. Stir it well to incorporate. Cook for 30-60 more minutes.
Serve on some nice rolls.
Enjoy!

Thanks for dropping by today, I hope you have a good one!

Handy printable below…
BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches (Crock Pot)

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 9 hours

Total Time: 9 hours, 10 minutes

Yield: 6-8 sandwiches

Ingredients

1 (3 pound) pork roast (NOT FROZEN)
2 T olive oil
Montreal Steak Seasoning
3-4 C Root Beer, Dr. Pepper or Coke
1 1/2 - 2 C Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce
8 rolls

Instructions

2. Into a large hot skillet pour about 2 T olive oil. Throw your Pork Roast seasoned side down into the skillet. (Ok don't really ''throw" it. We don't want pork guts to be flung anywhere! Just lay it down gently. Seasoned side down.)
3. Grab your Montreal Steak Seasoning and sprinkle it on the unseasoned side of the meat. Let the pork roast get nice and brown. Turn it over and sear it on the other side as well. The Montreal Steak Seasoning will turn a bit crusty. That's what you want. A nice crusty sear. Yum. This will really give your meat a nice smokey/salty flavor. It should smell pretty darn fabulous, too.
Serve on some nice rolls.
Enjoy!
 Pinterest friendly image below…
Crock Pot Pulled Pork Sandwiches from Jamie Cooks It Up!

1. Do you have a preference for which kind of soda to use? Do you think there would be much of a difference in taste in the end result, between them (since you strain the meat anyways)?

The sandwiches look mighty good!

2. Hello to you Sugar Queen,
    The difference in taste between the sodas is minimal. I have made it once with Dr. Pepper and once with Root Beer and they were both wonderful. Good luck!

3. Anonymous says:

Jamie, Is it better to use regular versus diet coke? btw: I made your cream cheese brownies with frosting over the weekend, and they were to die for ! Thanks so much. I really enjoy your site.
    Nisey

4. Anonymous says:

thanks so much for your recipes, i made the cracked wheat rolls-they were sooooo good!

5. Lori Faux says:

Small emergency here – the “print recipe” link is not working! Is it just my computer or is something amiss on your FABULOUS, AMAZING, and WONDERFUL blog? Thanks!!

6. Hey there lovely Lori,
    Thanks for letting me know. I have fixed the broken link.
    Hope you are doing well!!!

7. Cyndi says:

Looks fabulous. By the way, with half a stick of butter and two eggs I would make a dozen cream puffs;)

8. Tightwad Mom says:

You had me at Coke!!!! What a fabulous Monday recipe! My kiddos are home for summer break, so eggs, bread, milk, and cereal are disappearing at an alarming rate! Hmmm, I wonder if I can distract them from food, by making them pull my weeds, and make their beds, and brush their teeth long enough to make a quick trip to the grocery store (sans kids)? It's a long shot, but maybe……

1. - LOVE these photos, Stephanie! Looking at them makes me fall in love with film all over again. And smeumr makes me lazy in the kitchen, too I’d much rather be outside with a cocktail and a book than standing over a stove these days!

9. Lori Faux says:

Thanks for fixing the 'print' link! I thank you, my taste buds thank you, my family thanks you, I bet even my friends visiting from Logan this weekend will thank you too!!

10. There is just nothing better than a really good pulled pork sandwich. This looks so good, Jamie! I'd love if you'd consider sharing it in the online Get Grillin' & summer bbq event I'm hosting right now (it's entree week). http://bit.ly/jjM7Qg

11. Marla says:

Thanks so much for linking up this beautiful pulled pork into Get Grillin'

12. Vicki says:

Absolutely Delicious!!! And Oh so very easy!!!

Thank you!

13. Norma says:

Hello Jamie, my family too lives in Herriman and I'm so glad that I found you. I've tried several of your recipes now and have loved all of them. I never thought I'd get my two daughters to eat a Pulled Pork Sandwich but they absolutely LOVED this recipe. I used root beer. I didn't have that particular steak seasoning so I had to just use my Lawrey's, but it came out just fine. Thank you for making me look good to my family, it doesn't come easy for me in the kitchen. :-)

14. Anonymous says:

Made it. Loved it! Can I freeze it?

15. Anonymous,
    This recipe freezes very well. So glad you liked it! Have a good one!

16. ckiers says:

meats in the crockpot now! Smells amazing…can't wait til dinner time. Thanks for the recipe :)

17. ShellyeJo says:

What size slow cooker did you use? I have discovered if I cook something in a pot that is too big it seems to cook faster. I have one of those slow cookers that has the three different size crocks. The largest is a 6 qt.
    This recipe sounds wonderful. I am a huge fan of pulled pork. :-)

18. Hi ShellyJo,
    I believe I cooked mine in my 8 quart crock. I think you'll be fine with the 6 quart. Good luck!

19. Anonymous says:

Can you use diet soda?

20. Yes, diet pop will work fine. Good luck!

21. Marianna says:

Is it necessary to completely cover the butt in soda? With 4 c. soda, its about 70% covered. Thank you… also, My house smells amazing after searing with the seasoning!!! Yum!

Marianna
    Atlanta, GA

1. Hi Marianna,
      70% covered will work out just fine.
      Thanks,

22. Allie says:

My family doesn’t really like soda, do you think beer would work instead?

23. Grace says:

Hi Jaime! I discovered this recipe and your blog on Pinterest. I made this recipe today and it was a big hit. The first words out of my husband’s mouth were, “Why don’t you make this more often?” I’ll definitely be making it again soon!

I made two slight modifications to the recipe based on what I had on hand that I thought I’d share with you:

*I used both root beer and Dr. Pepper.
    *Instead of regular Sweet Baby Ray’s I used their Honey BBQ sauce.

Thanks again for posting!

24. Jessie says:

I made this and it was GREAT! Made it again a week late. Thanks so much!! Here is my post about it:

25. Danielle says:

If I make this as a “freezer meal”, can I freeze it before it’s cooked or do I need to do it after?

1. Jamie says:

Hi Danielle,
      You will cook the meat as the recipe indicates. Then let it cool, place the meat in a freezer safe Ziploc bag, or storage container and it will be ready to freeze. Good luck!

26. Sarah says:

This was honesty the best pulled pork I’ve ever had! I used boneless pork ribs, dr. Pepper for the soda and for the sweet baby rays flavor I used “sweet and spicy”. It had the perfect little kick to it! Served with cole slaw. Thanks for the recipe.

27. Krysta says:

Hello Jamie,

My husband and I recently acquired quite a bit of pork and I’ve been looking for recipes to add to the rotation. I’m so excited to try this recipe! Will a shoulder roast work as well for this?
    Thank you for sharing your recipes!
    -Krysta

28. Ryan says:

Jamie, I was wondering if that was 3/4 cup or 3 to 4 cups of soda? Also, I’m using a 2 quart slow cooker, any changes to cook times etc suggested?

1. Jamie says:

Ryan,
      You need 3 to 4 cups of soda. A 2 quart slow cooker should work out fine for you.
      Good luck!

29. Susan says:

Thank you for this easy and delicious pulled pork recipe. I used it with the root beer and Jack Daniel’s Original No. 7 Recipe barbecue sauce. We just really enjoyed this meal! Thank you, Susan

30. Jennefer says:

I need to make this for a large crowd. Will it work in a roaster oven? I would cut it into chunks to sear the meat then 250 for 7-8 hrs. Any suggestions?

1. Jamie says:

Jennefer,
      I haven’t ever tried it in a roaster oven, but I bet it would work out great, especially if you keep the temperature low. Good luck!

31. Sharon says:

Have made something similar with a 7 lb pork butt roast in the oven. Cooked covered at 325 about 4hrs or 350 degrees 3-3.5hrs to temp 170 or 30min/lb +extra hr for shredding.
    Easy to freeze for large group. Reduce liquid and add as needed when reheating to moisten. Provide preferred BBQ sauce when serving

32. Sallie Milsom says:

Hi,
    I’m.in.Australia,we.don’t.have.the.Montreal.steak.sprinkle.here,what.could.be.substituted.please
    Thank.you

33. veera says:

Hi jamie.love your site.can I add liquid smoke to this recipe..what flavor and quantity would you recommend. Love ur site.

1. Jamie says:

Veera,
      Liquid smoke would be awesome in this recipe. I would add about 1 teaspoon into the meat after it’s shredded and you are adding the bbq sauce. Hope this helps!