BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches (Crock Pot)

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches (Crock Pot)

Happy Monday, everyone!
Because that’s what Mondays are…
just happy, happy, kick back happy.
Mountains of laundry, dirty bathrooms calling my name,
5000 weeds growing by the second,
a sticky kitchen floor to mop
and
the worst
part is
am
down
to
half a stick of butter and 2 lonely eggs!
What can a girl do with half a stick of butter and 2 lonely eggs?
Get to the store. That’s what!
Right after I conquer the 5000 weeds.
Wish me luck.
Like I said….it’s just
Happy, happy, kick back happy.
Because I know you love Mondays just as much as I do, I have a FABULOUS
EASY
CLASSIC
recipe for you today.

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches made in your crock pot.
Bet you love em!

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Time: 10 minutes prep + 9 hours cooking
Yield: 6-8 sandwiches
Recipe adapted from somewhere one line…..

1   3 pound pork roast (NOT FROZEN)
2 T olive oil
Montreal Steak Seasoning

3-4 C Root Beer, Dr. Pepper or Coke

1 1/2 – 2 C Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce
8 rolls
I used a Pork Sirloin Tip Roast because they have less fat, but a Pork Loin or Butt Roast would work as well.
Also, I have made it with both Root Beer and Dr. Pepper. Both were wonderful and had little difference in taste.

1. Place your pretty pork roast on a plate. Season it generously with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Pat the seasoning into the roast with your fingers.

2. Into a large hot skillet pour about 2 T olive oil. Throw your Pork Roast seasoned side down into the skillet. (Ok don’t really ”throw” it. We don’t want pork guts to be flung anywhere! Just lay it down gently. Seasoned side down.)
3. Grab your Montreal Steak Seasoning…..

and sprinkle it on the unseasoned side of the meat. Let the pork roast get nice and brown. Turn it over and sear it on the other side as well. The Montreal Steak Seasoning will turn a bit crusty. That’s what you want. A nice crusty sear. Yum. This will really give your meat a nice smokey/salty flavor. It should smell pretty darn fabulous, too.

4. Stab that bad boy Pork Roast with a couple of forks and transfer it to a large crock pot.
5. Pour the soda over the top of your meat. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours, or until the meat shreds nicely with a fork.
6. Remove the roast from the pan, shred it all up and place it back in the soda juices. Let it cook for 1 hour more.
7. Drain the juices from the pan and pour the BBQ sauce in. Stir it well to incorporate. Cook for 30-60 more minutes.
Serve on some nice rolls.
Enjoy!

Thanks for dropping by today, I hope you have a good one!

If you are in the market for some
great grilling recipes head over to…

June 6, 2011 at 11:42 am

Do you have a preference for which kind of soda to use? Do you think there would be much of a difference in taste in the end result, between them (since you strain the meat anyways)?

The sandwiches look mighty good!

June 6, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Hello to you Sugar Queen,
    The difference in taste between the sodas is minimal. I have made it once with Dr. Pepper and once with Root Beer and they were both wonderful. Good luck!

June 6, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Jamie, Is it better to use regular versus diet coke? btw: I made your cream cheese brownies with frosting over the weekend, and they were to die for ! Thanks so much. I really enjoy your site.
    Nisey

June 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm

thanks so much for your recipes, i made the cracked wheat rolls-they were sooooo good!

June 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Small emergency here – the “print recipe” link is not working! Is it just my computer or is something amiss on your FABULOUS, AMAZING, and WONDERFUL blog? Thanks!!

June 7, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Hey there lovely Lori,
    Thanks for letting me know. I have fixed the broken link.
    Hope you are doing well!!!

June 7, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Looks fabulous. By the way, with half a stick of butter and two eggs I would make a dozen cream puffs;)

June 7, 2011 at 10:52 pm

You had me at Coke!!!! What a fabulous Monday recipe! My kiddos are home for summer break, so eggs, bread, milk, and cereal are disappearing at an alarming rate! Hmmm, I wonder if I can distract them from food, by making them pull my weeds, and make their beds, and brush their teeth long enough to make a quick trip to the grocery store (sans kids)? It's a long shot, but maybe……

February 7, 2014 at 9:04 pm

- LOVE these photos, Stephanie! Looking at them makes me fall in love with film all over again. And smeumr makes me lazy in the kitchen, too I’d much rather be outside with a cocktail and a book than standing over a stove these days!

June 10, 2011 at 2:09 am

Thanks for fixing the 'print' link! I thank you, my taste buds thank you, my family thanks you, I bet even my friends visiting from Logan this weekend will thank you too!!

June 22, 2011 at 2:30 pm

There is just nothing better than a really good pulled pork sandwich. This looks so good, Jamie! I'd love if you'd consider sharing it in the online Get Grillin' & summer bbq event I'm hosting right now (it's entree week). http://bit.ly/jjM7Qg

June 23, 2011 at 3:53 am

Thanks so much for linking up this beautiful pulled pork into Get Grillin'

Vicki
    August 10, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Absolutely Delicious!!! And Oh so very easy!!!

Thank you!

Norma
    September 1, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Hello Jamie, my family too lives in Herriman and I'm so glad that I found you. I've tried several of your recipes now and have loved all of them. I never thought I'd get my two daughters to eat a Pulled Pork Sandwich but they absolutely LOVED this recipe. I used root beer. I didn't have that particular steak seasoning so I had to just use my Lawrey's, but it came out just fine. Thank you for making me look good to my family, it doesn't come easy for me in the kitchen. :-)

September 9, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Made it. Loved it! Can I freeze it?

September 9, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Anonymous,
    This recipe freezes very well. So glad you liked it! Have a good one!

January 3, 2012 at 8:19 pm

meats in the crockpot now! Smells amazing…can't wait til dinner time. Thanks for the recipe :)

January 8, 2012 at 5:19 pm

What size slow cooker did you use? I have discovered if I cook something in a pot that is too big it seems to cook faster. I have one of those slow cookers that has the three different size crocks. The largest is a 6 qt.
    This recipe sounds wonderful. I am a huge fan of pulled pork. :-)

January 9, 2012 at 4:00 am

Hi ShellyJo,
    I believe I cooked mine in my 8 quart crock. I think you'll be fine with the 6 quart. Good luck!

January 13, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Can you use diet soda?

January 16, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Yes, diet pop will work fine. Good luck!

Marianna
    March 14, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Is it necessary to completely cover the butt in soda? With 4 c. soda, its about 70% covered. Thank you… also, My house smells amazing after searing with the seasoning!!! Yum!

Marianna
    Atlanta, GA

March 15, 2012 at 4:35 am

Hi Marianna,
      70% covered will work out just fine.
      Thanks,

Allie
    October 17, 2012 at 11:54 am

My family doesn’t really like soda, do you think beer would work instead?

Grace
    November 12, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Hi Jaime! I discovered this recipe and your blog on Pinterest. I made this recipe today and it was a big hit. The first words out of my husband’s mouth were, “Why don’t you make this more often?” I’ll definitely be making it again soon!

I made two slight modifications to the recipe based on what I had on hand that I thought I’d share with you:

*I used both root beer and Dr. Pepper.
    *Instead of regular Sweet Baby Ray’s I used their Honey BBQ sauce.

Thanks again for posting!

January 7, 2013 at 10:12 am

I made this and it was GREAT! Made it again a week late. Thanks so much!! Here is my post about it:

Danielle
    March 1, 2013 at 1:02 pm

If I make this as a “freezer meal”, can I freeze it before it’s cooked or do I need to do it after?

March 4, 2013 at 9:28 am

Hi Danielle,
      You will cook the meat as the recipe indicates. Then let it cool, place the meat in a freezer safe Ziploc bag, or storage container and it will be ready to freeze. Good luck!

Sarah
    March 3, 2013 at 9:43 am

This was honesty the best pulled pork I’ve ever had! I used boneless pork ribs, dr. Pepper for the soda and for the sweet baby rays flavor I used “sweet and spicy”. It had the perfect little kick to it! Served with cole slaw. Thanks for the recipe.

Krysta
    March 11, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Hello Jamie,

My husband and I recently acquired quite a bit of pork and I’ve been looking for recipes to add to the rotation. I’m so excited to try this recipe! Will a shoulder roast work as well for this?
    Thank you for sharing your recipes!
    -Krysta

March 15, 2013 at 7:35 am

Jamie, I was wondering if that was 3/4 cup or 3 to 4 cups of soda? Also, I’m using a 2 quart slow cooker, any changes to cook times etc suggested?

March 15, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Ryan,
      You need 3 to 4 cups of soda. A 2 quart slow cooker should work out fine for you.
      Good luck!

Susan
    January 19, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Thank you for this easy and delicious pulled pork recipe. I used it with the root beer and Jack Daniel’s Original No. 7 Recipe barbecue sauce. We just really enjoyed this meal! Thank you, Susan

Jennefer
    January 25, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I need to make this for a large crowd. Will it work in a roaster oven? I would cut it into chunks to sear the meat then 250 for 7-8 hrs. Any suggestions?

January 27, 2014 at 7:58 am

Jennefer,
      I haven’t ever tried it in a roaster oven, but I bet it would work out great, especially if you keep the temperature low. Good luck!