Cherry Chocolate Cake

Cherry Chocolate Cake

I don’t know if I have mentioned it before…
but I have a pretty cool Dad.
He likes cool cars and cool music…. and when I was little I always liked to ride in his car with him because the music
he chose was so
cool
and all.
He loves anything Cherry Chocolate and has a big friendly smile for everyone he meets. A smile….and maybe a quirky joke or two.
Once upon a time, Dad asked my Homecoming Date…
“Hey, you want me to get you the stapler so you can staple that flower Jamie got you to your head? Ah HA!!!!
HA. HA.
Hardy Har Har!!!!”
It was my very first date.
Ever.
 Cool part was….my poor date was shaking in his boots he was so nervous! I’m sure Dad was just trying to ease the mood. :)

This past Friday happened to me my birthday. Dad showed up on my doorstep with a beautiful bouquet of flowers and an offer to take me to Iceberg for a shake.
I almost stapled one of  the pretty flowers to his forehead…just for old times sake!
He’s a pretty darn nice Dad
Pretty nice…..and pretty cool.

Cherry Chocolate Cake
Time: 15 minutes hands on + 40 minutes baking + time to cool
Yield: 12 large servings
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
1 Devils Food Cake Mix
1  small box instant chocolate pudding
1/3 C flour
1 1/2 C water
1/2 C oil
4 eggs
1 t almond extract
1  can sweetened condensed milk
1  can cherry pie filling
1 12 oz container of Cool Whip
1 C chocolate chips
1 C sliced almonds, toasted

1. Put your cake mix, pudding and flour into your stand mixer or large mixing bowl.

Stir it around a bit to incorporate.

2. Crack those eggs and add them to the bowl.
3. Pour in the water….

….and the oil….
…and the almond extract.
4. Beat the mixture on low for about 1 minute. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to be sure all the dry ingredients are getting incorporated well. Beat on medium speed for 3-4 minutes or until the batter is glossy and smooth.

5. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and pour the batter on in.

Spread it around with a knife to make it even along the top.
6. Bake at 350 for approximately 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

7. Immediately after the cake is removed from the oven poke holes all over it with the end of a wooden spoon.

8. Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk all over the top of the cake, being sure to fill in the holes. Let the cake cool to room temperature.
9. While the cake cools down toss your almonds into a medium sized skillet. Toast them over medium heat, stirring frequently until golden brown. Set them aside to cool.
10. Once the cake has cooled spread the cherries on top.

11. Spread the cool whip over the cherries and sprinkle with the chocolate chips and almonds.

12. Cover and chill for at least an hour before serving.

ENJOY!!!!!

June 13, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Happy Belated Birthday!! :)
    Yay for cool dads! My dad was cool too…and he would have loved this cake (he loved chocolate covered cherries). Boy, do I miss him.
    The cake looks so yummy…I may have to make one and have a piece for me and a piece for my dad. :)

June 13, 2011 at 12:29 pm

btw Jamie…where did you get that pretty red baking dish? Love it!

February 7, 2014 at 10:47 pm

? ? ?? ? .. stress ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ??? ? ? ?? ? ??? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ?? ? ? ? ?? ?? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ?? ? ? ? .. ??? ??? ???? ? ? ? ? ? ??? ?? ? ? ?? ?? ? ? ? ?? ?? ? ? ? ?? …

June 13, 2011 at 5:31 pm

What a lucky dad you have – that looks delicious.

June 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Happy Unbirthday to you!!!!! Hope it was a very happy one. Your cake looks divine. It is in the definite must try list! Take care!

June 13, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Hi Patti,
    I got the red baking dish at Walmart. It's part of the Paula Dean line of dishes they have there. Pretty sure it was under $20. Hope you can find one!

June 14, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Wonderful pics….everything looks so tasty.
    Papacheong

June 14, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Wonderful pics….everything looks so tasty.
    Papacheong

June 19, 2011 at 7:28 pm

This looks wonderful and delightfully simple! And hooray for cool dads! I hope you returned the favor well for him on Father's day! I love the layers you have on this cake. Definitely makes it much more unique!
    ~Nancy Lewis~

Carmon Bell from KY
    June 5, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I do a chocolate cherry upside down cake my husband loves will definitely be trying this one

Mari
      January 25, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I would love to try your recipe for the cherry upside down cake, thank you.

Jessica
    July 12, 2013 at 2:13 pm

This was a huge hit! Thanks for another great recipe. :)

Mari
    January 25, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Would love to try your cherry upside down cake, recipe? Thanks

Carmon Bell from KY
      January 26, 2014 at 9:10 am

Mari,
      It’s really easy. Spray the bottom and sides of a 9×13 cake pan, pour two cans of cherry pie filling in the bottom of pan. Mix a chocolate cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter over the pie filling and bake as directed. I sometimes have to go maybe 5-10 min longer to get center done, just check using a toothpick. Let cool in pan. If Im going to take some where I will line a cookie sheet with foil then turn cake pan upside down over it and let it sit for a bit for all the cherrys and syrup settle and carefully lift off. Put if we are having at home I just leave it in pan and when I slice a square it will scoop out easily with a spatula and then just flip square onto plate. Add vanilla ice cream or cool whip.