Happy Tuesday everyone!
If you happen to live in a house with an oven, do me a favor.
Make this bread.
Make it today and watch your family
fall all the more in love with you.
Just trust me.
One bite and you will have died and gone straight to heaven.
More love from your family and a guaranteed trip to heaven.
What more could you ask for, seriously?
Where did I come across this recipe, you might ask?
Let me just tell you all about it.
There is a great lady named Laura who writes the blog
She posts a new recipe on her site 5 times a week.
Can you even imagine the energy that would take!
Real Mom Kitchen is full of simple, family friendly recipes.
Producing a wonderful website is not
the only thing Laura has been up to lately.
She has a wonderful cookbook coming out in just a few weeks.
The photos are beautiful.
The recipes are simple, delicious and appealing to families.
This Glazed Poppy Seed bread comes from Laura’s book.
The Cedar Fort Book Company is offering a
Real Mom Kitchen Cookbook
to one of you lucky readers.
To enter the giveaway leave me a comment telling me your favorite simple summer time meal.
You may enter until Monday July 25th at midnight.
The lucky winner will be
announced on Tuesday morning.
For a second entry head over to
and subscribe to her blog
through email, rss feed, or facebook.
Then come back here and tell me you did so.
Good Luck, everyone!
Now, let’s get busy and make this bread, shall we?
Laura’s Glazed Poppy Seed Bread
Time: 15 minutes prep + 45-55 minutes to bake
Yield: 2 loaves
Recipe from Real Mom Kitchen Cookbook
3 C flour
1 1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t baking powder
2 1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 C milk
1 1/2 t almond extract
1 1/2 t vanilla extract
1 1/2 t butter flavoring
1 C + 2 T canola oil
1/4 C poppy seeds
3/4 C sugar
1/4 C freshly squeezed orange juice
1 1/2 t vanilla
1/2 t butter flavoring
1/2 t almond extract
1. Stir your flour, salt, baking powder and sugar together in a medium sized mixing bowl with a wire whisk.
Just look at those beautiful flavorings……
2. In a separate mixing bowl whisk up your eggs until they are nice and frothy. Add the milk, vanilla, almond extract, butter flavoring and oil.
Wisk it all together until its nicely combined.
3. Pour in your poppy seeds and give it another whisking to incorporate.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry.
Using a wooden spoon, stir everything together just until combined. You don’t want a lot of flour clumps, but you don’t want to over mix here either.
5. Take a piece of parchment paper and trace the shape of the bottom of your pan onto it with a pencil. Fold the paper over and cut two pieces out, using the pencil tracing as a guide.
6. Place the cut paper into the bottom of your pans and spray it with cooking spray. It works best if you use a cooking spray that has flour in it. Baker’s Joy works like a charm. Pam Cooking Spray also has a cooking spray with added flour. Buy one…you won’t be sorry.
7. Pour the batter into your pans. Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. While the bread is baking, make the glaze. It’s super easy! Juice your orange into a small mixing bowl. Add all other ingredients and stir it well.
9. When your bread is done, remove it from the oven and let it rest for about 3 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pan and then carefully dump the bread out of the pans and onto a cooling rack. Place a large cookie sheet under your cooling rack.
10. Give your glaze a few stirs to be sure all ingredients are mixed together and then pour it over the top of your bread. Brush the glaze that falls onto the cookie sheet over the loaves. Let the bread sit for about 10 minutes to soak up the glaze. Then dig in my friend…..enjoy a little trip to heaven today!