Chinese Cabbage Salad

Chinese Cabbage Salad

Ah….the Chinese Cabbage Salad.
Seen at many a BBQ,
Potluck Party,
Baptism Luncheon,
Blessing Day….
Baby Shower…
Wedding Shower…
Please don’t eat it in the shower….
Or prepare it in the shower….
Holiday Party….
Get together and chit chat….
You name it.
 Chinese Cabbage Salad seems to make a
regular appearance these days, doesn’t it?
If you’ve never heard of it,
just disregard the first rambling portion of this post.
Thank you for your patience.
The fabulous Chinese Cabbage Salad recipe I’m sharing with you today has a little bit of unique twist. The dressing is made with a peanut oil base giving it a wonderfully rich flavor.
Can’t find Peanut Oil?
Me either. The Peanut Oil distributors must have a secret loathing for all people living in Herriman.
There is not a drop of Peanut Oil being sold within a 15 mile radius of my home.
Yep. Times are tough, aren’t they.

If you can’t get your hands on peanut oil….don’t worry about it.
I’ve got a simple solution for you.
Discussion on the simple solution to follow in the recipe portion.
Again, thank you for your patience.

This salad has another little twist.
It’s made with Nappa Cabbage instead
of the traditional regular old plain green cabbage.
Worried about finding Nappa Cabbage?
Don’t be. I’ve never met a grocery store that didn’t carry it.
Feel better now?
Oh good.
Let’s make it, shall we?

Chinese Cabbage Salad
Time: 40 minutes
Recipe from my beautiful sister in law Cynthia Gull
2-2 1/2 pounds nappa cabbage
5 green onions
3 packages ramen noodles
1/2 C butter
1/4 C sliced almonds
1/4 C sesame seeds
Dressing:
3/4 C peanut oil (or 3 T peanut butter + canola oil to equal 3/4 C)
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C rice vinegar
2 T soy sauce

This crinkly beauty is Nappa Cabbage.
You can see that the leaves are a lot more porous than regular cabbage. What does this mean for you? These crinkly  leaves are going to soak up more of the dressing. Lovely! Just what you were hoping to read about today….crinkly cabbage.
Information like this can be life saving, you know.
1. Cut the tail end off of your cabbage and toss it in the trash.
2. Thinly slice the rest of the cabbage and place it into a large bowl.
3. Slice your green onions and add them to your bowl.
4. Open up your packages of Ramen Noodles….
place them in a gallon sized freezer zip lock bag and pound them into small pieces with a meat tenderizer.

5. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Melt your butter and then add your almonds…

sesame seeds and ramen noodles.

6. Cook the mixture stirring frequently until everything turns a nice toasty brown.  Set the crunchy mixture aside to cool.

IF YOU CANNOT FIND PEANUT OIL
DO THIS……..
7. Place 3 T of peanut butter into a glass measuring cup

pour Canola Oil into the cup, right over the top of the peanut butter. Your total measurement with the peanut butter and oil should be
3/4 C.
8. Put the peanut butter/oil mixture into the microwave and heat it for 30 seconds.

Stir it all around until the peanut butter dissolves.

9. Into a medium sized sauce pan pour your sugar…

your peanut oil (or your peanut butter/oil mixture)

soy sauce and rice vinegar.

10. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil over medium high heat. Let it boil hard for one minute. Then set it aside to cool.
11. When you are ready to serve toss the cabbage and green onions with the crunchy ramen mixture and pour the dressing over the top to  coat. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!

K
    June 8, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Just an FYI, peanut oil doesn’t have much taste at all… definitely doesn’t taste like peanut butter. ;-)

Karen
    July 8, 2013 at 9:42 am

What did you do with the flavor packet?

Karen
    July 8, 2013 at 9:46 am

forget my question. I read all the comments. Thanks.

February 8, 2014 at 1:12 am

I’ve never done this before, but the iarntnationel school my dd goes to assigned the kids to make Leprechaun traps. (you can find them on google)They set the traps at school, but the sneaky guy got away. He left gold coin chocolates for their efforts

Kathy
    July 14, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I made this tonight with a few changes and it was SO delicious. My husband and I absolutely loved it. I omitted the green onions because I don’t really care for them, used 1/4 of the butter called for and 2 pkgs of ramen noodles. I think the peanut butter is part of what makes this so good.

February 7, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Added my link! ..hope I did that right. I like using purple cababge in my green salads.. and a chicken n macaroni salad I make. Its a big one so I might have to find another use for it too!

July 24, 2013 at 8:57 am

Jamie, I am obsessed with this dressing! I made a variation of it for Thai Chopped Salad and it is to die for. Thanks for sharing!

Erin
    August 8, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I was wondering if I could make the dressing up ahead of time. I am trying to do as much ahead of time as I can prior to weekend company.
    Thanks!

Angelina - Guardenia
    August 9, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I brought this to my boss’ house tonight and everyone loved it. I used the peanut butter + oil version due to the enormous flavor of peanut being always so delicious, don’t you agree? :) Will be making this again for sure. Thank you for this recipe! <3

Angelina - Guardenia
      August 9, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Oh and this salad is so easy to make, it took no time at all for such sophistication.

Kati
    September 16, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Do you have the nutritional information and/or Weight Watchers PointsPlus information for this recipe?

October 29, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I loved this dressing recipe but I found it too sweet for my liking. So I added 1/4 cup sugar instead of 1/2 cup. 2 Tbs of Sesame seed oil. 3 Tbs of sesame toasted sesame seeds, 3 Tbs of red pepper flakes, and an extra Tbs of rice vinegar. It was to die for and have made it three times this week!

alicia
    February 1, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I am shocked that this recipe would tell people to toss a quarter of the cabbage in the trash. There are many uses for the rest of the cabbage. No need to waste perfectly good food. The recipe looks good though, can’t wait to try it.

Ann
    May 5, 2014 at 7:02 am

Love the recipe, and also a new substitution to keep in the file box. Great ideas, too, for additions, such as mandarin oranges and cilantro.

May 8, 2014 at 1:44 pm

What did you do with the flavor packet?

November 5, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Thanks for finally talking about > Chinese Cabbage Salad < Loved it!