Apple Pie Caramel Apples

Apple Pie Caramel Apples

The winner of the Flowergirl Bowtique Giveaway is
jenn@dancingprincessdesigns.com
Congratulations!
Hello to you all!
I wanted to let you local readers know that tonight (Wednesday)
I’ll be teaching a cooking class at
The Pleasant Grove Maceys.
I will be making Homemade Caramels
and these Apple Pie Caramel Apples I am posting today.
If you are interested and available, I would love to meet you.
The class is free and starts at 7:00, doors open at 6:30.

Speaking of these Apple Pie Caramel Apples….
they are to die for.
Seriously.
One of my 5 year old twins took one bite of these babies and said..
“Mom. Everything in the world should be made out of those.”
Wow! Everything?
Like even my cell phone?
Or how about my purse?
Then I could just nibble on them when
I was out running errands and what not.
Though it may gain me a few weird looks….it just might be worth it.
The combination of
apple
homemade caramel
white chocolate
and
cinnamon sugar
is
absolutely
divine.

Would you like to taste some?
Ok, then.

15 apples
15 Popsicle sticks
2  12 ounce bags white chocolate chips
1 t shortening
1 C sugar
3 t cinnamon
1. Wash your apples WELL. Scrub them with your fingers to get the filmy white stuff off.
2. Place a Popsicle stick in the center of each apple, next to the stem.
3. Line a jelly roll pan with tin foil. Put all of the apples on the sheet and place it in the freezer.

4. Melt the butter in a medium sized sauce pan over medium high heat.

5. Add the brown sugar…

corn syrup…

and sweetened condensed milk. Stir it together with a wooden spoon.
6. Cook the caramel over medium high heat, stirring constantly. The temperature should read 235-240 (soft ball stage) when the caramel has reached the correct consistency. It should take about 14 minutes.
7. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 1 t of vanilla.
8. Take your pan of apples out of the freezer, set the apples aside and line the pan with tin foil and spray it with cooking spray.

9. Dip your apples one by one into the caramel.
Let excess caramel drip off the apple and back into the pan.
8. Turn the apple upside down over the pot for about 20 seconds, letting the cold apple and the caramel get familiar with each other.
9. Set the apples on the cold, foil lined pan and place it in your fridge.
10. Pour your white chocolate into a glass measuring cup. Melt the chocolate in the microwave heating it for only 30 seconds at a time, stirring between each cooking interval.  Don’t get the chocolate too hot. :)
11. Add the shortening to your chocolate, stir it in until it has melted into the chocolate.
12. Pour the sugar and cinnamon into a regular soup bowl and stir it together to combine.
13. Dip the apples one at a time, into the white chocolate.
Let some of the chocolate drip off into the measuring cup.
Then, take a knife and remove any excess chocolate letting it drip back into the cup. If there were a way to hold and apple, a knife and a camera at the same time….I would have done it!
Now here is a special note. It’s really important that you don’t leave too much chocolate on the apple. Look at this sad frownie faced beauty that got left with too much chocolate. Don’t let your apples suffer from chocolate overload.  PS….. MyHandsomeHusband just announced that this picture looks like something strait out of The Lord Of The Rings.  I does kind of look like those sad drooping trees, doesn’t it!

14. Roll the chocolate dipped apple into the cinnamon sugar, coating it generously. If the chocolate starts to drip a bit, take your palm and form it back to the apple. The chocolate should begin to set up quite quickly, since we are using cold apples.
15. Return the apple to the cold pan and let the chocolate set completely.
Enjoy these beauties!!!!!

Then do the dishes……what a shame. Wish there were some way around that!

Have a great day, see you soon!

September 21, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Oh my these look good!

September 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your caramel apple recipes!! Last fall I made a bunch of candy coated ones for a party and now they are a staple in my fall food line up!!

September 21, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Absolutley amazing! these look SO incredibly good and delicious
    Mary

September 21, 2011 at 3:50 pm

The first time I had anything similar was from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. They use large Granny Smith apples and the sweet/sour is amazing. This is by far one of my favorite ways to have apples and we'll be making them soon!

September 21, 2011 at 3:50 pm

September 21, 2011 at 3:50 pm

September 21, 2011 at 3:50 pm

September 21, 2011 at 3:50 pm

September 21, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Wow! THANK YOU! I never win anything! Today is definitely my lucky day, and it's going to get even better, since I'm having Caramel Apples for dessert…those look amazing!

September 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Are these like the ones from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory? Those ones are the best!

February 7, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I had a client this week that watned this same look. I chose variations of beige – from off white to subtle creams. It was hard to convey that unless you had a light color (Cloud White SW) the darker shades of beige couldn’t be appreciated. Otherwise her home would look like the same color throughout. How does such a simple concept get so misunderstood? One may never know :-) So clean and refreshing – pretty look.

September 22, 2011 at 4:12 am

Thanks Jamie, Was looking for a Good Recipe for caramel for Our Super Saturday!! You're the Best!!

September 22, 2011 at 9:13 am

Oh my gosh……Those apples look incredible! I am hoping that the apples I help make at my daughter's school come out half way pretty.

October 3, 2011 at 6:53 am

Really lovely. :-)

October 3, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Do you really cook the caramel to 335? That's past soft ball and hard ball and everything? I didn't get that far, and my caramel is as hard as a rock on the apple. Did you mean 235-240? Thanks.

October 3, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Hi Janelle,
    Yes…oh, yes. The correct temp. is actually 235-240. Thanks for coming on back to make me aware of the error. So sorry for your hard apples. :( Hope you try it again.
    Thanks,

October 3, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Jaime, I absolutely love your blog!! The recipes are wonderful & several are now on our family favorites list. I also wanted to comment on the caramel apples, I tried a batch last night & the caramel was to hard & started to burn before it reached the listed temp. I made another batch & cooked it 235 degrees and it was perfect. Thanks for all of the great recipes and tips!

October 4, 2011 at 12:32 am

I knew better…. Luckily I only dipped one apple. Batch 2 was perfect and oh-so-delicious! Thank you!

October 6, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Love your blog! Just wondering…in step 8 you say to line pan with tin foil which was already stated in step 3. In your picture it looks like you have nonstick spray next to the pan, is that what we are supposed to do there, spray the already lined pan? Just making sure I got it right, I am going to make these today! YUM!

October 6, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Hi Kristin,
    You are correct…spray the tin foil with cooking spray. Good luck! Hope they turn out great!

Kimberly
    November 16, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Thanks for the delicious recipe! I have a question, how long will these keep??

November 17, 2011 at 12:48 am

Hi Kimberly,
    These will keep well for a couple of days in the fridge. Good luck! Hope you love them!

Kimberly
    November 17, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Thank you! One more question- will white Almond Bark work as well as the white chocolate chips and shortening? Thanks!!

November 18, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Kimberly,
    I've only used almond bark a time or two, but didn't care for the flavor at all. It seems to be a bit waxy. I would stick with white chocolate.
    Good luck!

March 9, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I worked at Rocky Mountain chocolate factory for about four years when I was a teenager, and the only difference in the recipe is that we use brown sugar and cinnamon instead of white sugar and cinnamon. I guess it would be whatever your preferences, but I think it tastes more like a pie with the brown sugar and cinnamon topping.

Shannon
    September 18, 2012 at 11:46 am

I just made this amazing recipe! I love it! The only problem I had is that my caramel is really runny, so it’s not sticking very well to the apple, even after freezing. Any recommendations? Thank you!

September 20, 2012 at 11:27 am

Hi Shannon,
      You may want to cook the caramel just a bit longer. It sounds like it’s not firm enough to stick to the apples. Good luck! Hope this helps out.

FireWife
    September 30, 2012 at 8:15 am

I’ve made these twice. The first time I boiled the apples to remove the wax but apparently left em in too long. They were super mushy the next day. GROSS! The 2nd time I made em…… I didnt’ boil em to remove the wax but apparently I left them in the freezer too long and they were just as mushy. How long do you leave em in the feezer before dipping em?

October 1, 2012 at 7:15 am

FireWife,
      I only leave them in the freezer for the duration of time it takes me to make the caramel. Usually about 20 minutes. I have left them in for up to an hour before and they were still fine. Maybe you have some apples that are a little bit old. Sometimes grocery stores still carry apples from last years harvest…maybe that is your trouble? Better luck, next time. :)

Corinna
    October 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Jamie what type of apples did you use in the pictures for this recipe? They don’t look like granny smith are they honey crisp? Thanks for your recipes they are great. I use your 5 loaves whole wheat bread recipe all the time.

October 30, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Corinna,
      I used Gala and Fuji apples for this recipe. Good luck!

April 28, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Hi Jamie! I LOVE your website! I made your Apple Pie Caramel Apples for my daughter’s Barnyard Birthday party this weekend. Everyone loved them! Thank you for the awesome recipe!

ann
    October 23, 2013 at 2:32 pm

can u use the rest of caramel on the cooking sheet and make it like candy caramel?? just a thought

Judith Nicholas
    October 27, 2013 at 8:39 am

Jamie, do you know the ingredients for the sweet white confection Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory uses on some of their caramel apples?

October 29, 2013 at 7:06 am

Judith,
      Thanks for your question, unfortunately…I don’t know what Rocky Mountain puts in their white confection. Good luck!

February 7, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Skip the carpet copeemtlly. Go with wood floors. You can do it yourself for the same price of having someone install carpet. Check out home depot. I can’t think of the name of it but it just clicks right together. Wood flooring is so much easier to maintain.

delaney
    December 26, 2013 at 2:19 pm

thank you so much my mom love Carmel apples and I made these for her for Christmas