Ground Beef Enchiladas

Ground Beef Enchiladas

Several weeks ago I watched the lovely
make a batch of these heavenly
Ground Beef Enchiladas
on Paula Deens Food Network program.
Oooooo, they looked good.
I couldn’t help but make some,
she made it look so easy and all.
It was the right thing to do, my friends.
These babies are melt in your mouth delicious…
Isn’t that what you want to serve for dinner?
MeltInYourMouthDelicious?
In fact when your family comes through the door and you have so lovingly prepared this meal for them…just go ahead and set it out gracefully on the table and say something like….
“Attention everyone!
For dinner tonight we will be having MeltInYourMouthDelicious.
Yes, it’s true. You can thank me with every bite and please wash your own dish when we are done to show your appreciation. And would it be possible for you to not talk all at once, and please refrain from teasing each other, and good heavens quit burping at the table and holy cow try not to spill your water and I’m so glad you love the MeltInYourMouthDelicious and please try not to get it stuck in Nate’s hair and why are you crying Emily and did you have a bad day Anna and I’m so glad you like school Mark and isn’t it so nice to eat dinner together tonight…..everyone.”
And then you might need to take a deep breath.
And a long bath….
And give a nice sigh of relief that all of your family members
loved
the
MeltInYourMouthDelicous.
Imagine how chaotic dinner would have been….
if
they
hadn’t!
:)   :)   :)
Ground Beef Enchiladas
Time: 45 minutes prep + 30 minutes baking
Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman
SAUCE:
1 T canola oil
1 T flour
1  28 ounce can enchilada sauce (I used mild)
2 C chicken broth
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
2 T fresh cilantro, chopped
MEAT and FILLING:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2  4 ounce cans green chilies
1/2  t salt
12-14 white corn tortillas
3 C cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 C black olives, chopped
1 C green onions, chopped
1/2 C cilantro, chopped

1. Heat up a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Pour the oil in followed by the flour. Whisk them together.
2. Pour in your Enchilada Sauce….
chicken broth….
cilantro, salt and pepper. Whisk it all together to combine.
3. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
4. Heat up a separate skillet and toss in your ground beef, onion and the salt. Brown the meat over medium high heat, stirring occasionally.
5. When your meat is brown and the onions are transparent remove your pan from the heat and pour in your green chilies.
6. Chop up your green onions, olives and cilantro.

Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Pour about 3/4 C of your red sauce into the pan.

7. Heat up a large griddle and spray it with cooking spray. Cook the tortillas until each side is just a bit crisp and golden, about 2 minutes per side.  This will make it easier to fill them, you shouldn’t have any trouble with them cracking.

8. Take your tortillas one at a time and dip it into your red sauce, making sure that the sauce covers both sides.
9. Lay the smothered tortilla onto a cookie sheet and…
cover it with meat, green onions, olives, cilantro and cheese.
10. Roll the tortillas up and lay them seam side down into the pan.
Pour the rest of the sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top of the sauce.
Top with any leftover green onions and olives.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until bubbly.
11. Remove the pan from the oven, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve.

Enjoy!!!

September 27, 2011 at 11:17 am

Your pictures make these look so good! I'm trying these tonight – and I'm going to tell them about the “melt in your mouth good” – thanks for solving my dinner dilemma!
    Mary

September 27, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I love enchiladas, my favorite Mexican food. I was going to make tacos tonight but you changed my mind. Thanks for the pictures!

September 27, 2011 at 7:42 pm

LOVE your tutorial!!! These look AMAZING & I WILL be making them this weekend :) Thanks for a GREAT YUMMY recipe!

October 12, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Hi Jamie, This looks great!!! I have just two quick questions if you don't mind…what brand of white corn tortillas do you like to use? Also, is there any particular brand of enchilada sauce you prefer? Thanks!!!
    I love your blog!!!! Jodie

October 13, 2011 at 2:22 am

Hi Jodi,
    I like the La Victoria brand for enchilada sauce. As far as tortillas…I just buy whatever is reasonably priced. I don't have a clear favorite.
    Hope this helps! Good luck!

October 13, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Thanks Jamie!!! I'll give these a try!
    Jodie

October 20, 2011 at 10:32 pm

my sauce is not thicking!

Cristy
    October 27, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Shut UP. This looks incredible!!!!!!!!! Was it spicy AT ALL even with the mild enchilada sauce?? My kinds won't eat spicy. Booooring! ;)

October 27, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Christy,
    It is a little bit spicy, I hate to say. My kids did fine with it…my husband wished it had even more spice. So, they are pretty mild but they do have a little bit of spice. Good luck!

February 7, 2014 at 10:16 pm

The application is alilaabve free and there is a paid version as nicely. Twitter Training Finding started with Twitter Twitter is just yet another example of the light speed at which communications are catapulting forward, and corporate America (as properly as home business online marketers) ought to do our finest to maintain up.

Jen
    October 31, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Jamie,
    I made these and had a terrible time with my corn tortillas breaking and completely falling apart. I ended up using some mixed-grain tortillas I had on hand and they were yummy. Any suggestions for the corn tortillas? I really love the flavor of the corn, so was disappointed to not have them work out.

By the way, I love your blog, I look for recipes on here all the time. :)
    -Jen

October 31, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Hi Jen,
    I've found that some brands of corn tortillas really tear easily. I'm pretty sure I used Mission Tortillas. Can you remember what brand you used?

Jen
    November 1, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I wondered if maybe that would make a difference. I used La Favorita, a local Colorado brand. I'll have to try the Mission brand. I think mine were also not as fresh as they could have been, maybe that made a difference too. Thanks for the response! :)

Jen

Kelly Hayden
    November 13, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Made these for dinner last night– very, very good. Served them with guacamole and sour cream, they were a hit. Like others, I had trouble with the tortillas cracking while rolling up, I just told my family they were 'rustic' :)
    Trying the balsamic pork roast and root veggies and Red Lobster biscuts for dinner tonite– just the thought makes my mouth water.
    Love your pictures, and your blog. Thanks for sharing your life with the outside world.

teresa h
    January 2, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Gosh, you are my new hero.Found you on pinterest and now am a follower for life. Having your crispy cheddar chicken tonight with mashed potatoes and garlic cheese bread I also found on pinterest. This is dinner tomorrow night and just got a glimps of your bean with bacon soup! Your the bomb!!

January 29, 2012 at 9:11 pm

A couple of suggestions for problems mentioned: if sauce isn't thickening, add a little arrowroot or flour and stir freqently while heating.

Heat tortillas in microwave until soft prior to filling to prevent cracking.

Safeway brand red chile sauce is best off the shelf sauce I have found. It's not difficlt to make your own sauce with Gebhardts chili powder.

Chelsea
    February 2, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I made these last night and used Mission corn tortillas, and they all cracked :( I'll have to try putting them in the microwave next time.

February 3, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Hi Chelsea,
      You aren't the only one having trouble with cracking. I've done some experimenting and have found that cooking the tortillas on a hot griddle sprayed with cooking spray, for about 2 minutes per side really helps. Hope you will try it again! Good luck! Thanks for your feedback. Have a good one.

March 13, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I made these the other night because my inlaws were over for dinner. They think I should open up my own resterant!!! Awesome, everyone thinks I am the best cook ever, Thanks to your blog!!! Love the step by step photos, you are simply awesome. Thanks for making me look like a rock star!!!

February 29, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Oooooh, I made these last night and they were a HIT. I mixed 1/2 cup sour cream with my red sauce before pouring over the top of the enchiladas. YUM. Keeper!

Thanks,
    Rachel

October 4, 2012 at 11:27 am

I made these tonight! Super yummy! Thanks for sharing. The only thing I did was add black beans and cumin to the ground meat.

Pamela Dee
    October 24, 2012 at 12:21 am

I hate to write anything yet since I haven’t tried them – but WILL tomorrow! Anyway, a couple of suggestions: I always get Mission brand – nothing else.
    I also always warm them in the microwave – they never crack. And I have tried using some that were probably too long in the frig – and yes, they cracked no matter what I did! This web site is super! Keep up the good work!

January 27, 2013 at 6:47 am

I really don’t care for corn tortillas, would whole wheat or flour ones work? Or does the white corn taste a lot different than the yellow corn ones? I wish I had the green onions on hand b/c this looks delicious!

January 30, 2013 at 6:55 am

Hi Dacia,
      I haven’t ever used flour tortillas for this recipe, but my thoughts are that it would work out fine. Good luck!

shireen
    January 27, 2013 at 4:01 pm

thank you so much for your yummy dinner ideas!
    cant wait to eat this tonight!

Mary Jane
    February 6, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I’ve already made these once and I’m making them again tonight. It was so good! My husband was impressed. Thank you for the recipe.
    I’ve have two questions.
    1) Do you think it would be ok to make the meat mixture earlier in the day? That way I have less to do all at once. 2) Do you have any suggestions for a side dish to go with this meal? We just had chips and salsa.

February 13, 2013 at 6:12 am

These are amazing!!! I made these last night and they turned out awesome!!! The only changes I made were to leave out the olives because my husband doesnt like them, and then I added a little sour cream to the remaining sauce before I poured it over the dish. This recipe is definitely a keeper!!! Thanks!

February 14, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Hi I was wondering if I could prepare the whole dish a few hours before and put it in the oven in a few hours?

February 15, 2013 at 6:35 am

Hi Angie,
      Yes, you can prepare it before hand and store it in the fridge. Good luck! Hope you enjoy it!

Machelle
    February 15, 2013 at 3:42 pm

A little trick I use for the toritillas when making enchiladas. I take the tortilla and spray both sides with cooking spray. Nuke them in the microwave for 1 minute. Turn them over half way or if using more than 12 Nuke them again on the other side. This works perfect everytime and is super fast. The flavor is better when you fry the tortillas but who has time and who wants the added calories. Another tip: Buy the thickest tortillas for enchiladas.

julie
    April 22, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Made these tonight. Turned out really good. One variation—I did not heat my toritillas on the griddle. I just put a few on a plate covered with a moist paper towel and heated in the micro for approx 20-30 seconds. No problems with tearing.

teri
    April 28, 2013 at 9:37 am

I am preparing for my daughter’s graduation. Could I make these ahead of time and freeze them?

April 29, 2013 at 6:32 am

Hi Teri,
      Yes, you can freeze these. Just be sure you let the pan thaw out before you bake. Good luck!

Rachel
    July 9, 2013 at 3:19 pm

What do the T’s stand for in your recipe? I may be a noob but are you meaning tsp or tbsp.?

July 9, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Hi Rachel,
      The T stands for Tablespoon, the little t stands for teaspoon. Good luck!

Laura S.
    July 27, 2013 at 4:20 pm

This recipe is delicious! I made it as written minus the olives (we don’t like olives) and it was fantastic! Thank you and keep the good recipes coming!

Carol
    July 28, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Made these tonite. Served them with diced avacadoes and fresh lettuce from my garden. They were soooo good! Might try a little chopped pickled jalapeños w the meat and serve w sour cream next time!

November 4, 2013 at 11:15 am

It making my mouth water just watching this. Can’t wait to try it myself. Thanks

Shannon
    November 7, 2013 at 3:46 pm

These look so good-making these on the weekend-yummy:)

Deanna
    November 18, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I LOVE your blog! I don’t even know how I came across it but I’m so glad I did!! I could spend hours on here looking through all your delicious recipes! Thank you for what you do!! :)

Lee Ann
    November 19, 2013 at 10:45 am

I made these the other night. These were so bland. This is not the first recipe I have tried from pioneer woman that was bland. As for the wraps breaking they have to be heated up first.I will be trying some of your other recipes just not pioneer woman’s.

Ross
    June 20, 2014 at 9:08 am

Absolutely delicious. I picked up medium/hot stuff where possible and was able to make it too spicy for my Southern roommate :D

Only change I made was using 1.25lbs of turkey; in hindsight I should have used more like 2lbs of it