Broccoli Cheese Soup

Broccoli Cheese Soup

You are never going to believe this…
but Halloween is just one week away.
Just plain crazy, isn’t it!
October has been absolutely GORGEOUS here in Utah.
Gorgeous and golden, with all the beautiful changing colors and lasting warm weather. We have been spoiled with the beauty of the season, and my family and I have been drinking it right up.
The for cast for this coming week looks a little bit chilly and cold! I can hardly complain, since we have had it so nice for so long.
And there are some benefits to cooler weather, you know.
Like soup.
Flavorful Soups and Homemade Breads.
One of the most cozy and comforting meals out there,
in my opinion.
My lovely friend Julie made and brought this fabulous Broccoli Cheese Soup to a church party I attended last winter. I immediately asked her for the recipe, and have put it on my monthly menu plan several times since then. I’ve had MANY, MANY  emails lately asking me to please hurry up and post it. Everyone needs a good Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe, you know.
And so…here you have it, my friends.
Thanks for waiting.
Hope you will join me tomorrow for a new
WONDERFUL bread recipe, perfect for serving with this soup!
Now, let’s get to the soup….

Broccoli Cheese Soup
Time: 30 minutes
Recipe from the exceedingly lovely Julie Thomson
1 bunch broccoli
1/4 C butter
1/2 C chopped onion
3 T flour
2 C chicken broth
1 C broccoli water
2 C half and half
1/2 t Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t salt
2 C cheddar cheese, grated

1. Chop your broccoli

and toss it in a medium sized sauce pan. Cover it with water and boil until tender.

2. Drain 1 C of the broccoli water into a measuring cup and set it aside.

3. Mash the broccoli up with a potato masher. Don’t have one of those…don’t worry about it. You could use the bottom of a glass cup.

4. While the broccoli is cooking, melt the butter in a large pot.

5. Add the onions and cook over medium high heat until they are translucent, about 5 minutes.

6. Add the flour

and whisk it all around to combine it with the butter and onions.

7. Pour in the chicken broth. Bring it to a boil and add

the reserved broccoli water,

half and half,

Worcestershire sauce,

and salt.
8. Stir and cook until the soup becomes slightly thick. This should take about 5 minutes.

9. Add the broccoli

and the cheese.
10. Remove the pan from the heat. Don’t let the cheese cook in the soup…it just needs to be heated through so it can melt, nicely.

Enjoy!

October 24, 2011 at 9:19 am

very great picstory! looks very yummy :)

October 24, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Mmmmm, one of my favorite soups! I think this is what's for dinner tonight! :)

October 24, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Going to store now and pick up some broccoli The dishes are gorgeous. Mind if I ask where you might could get them. This is a beautiful blog, recipes sound great, especially your bread category and the photography is amazing. Am an old fashioned country cook and am going to try many of your recipes.Will not post as anonymous when I figure out how!

October 24, 2011 at 3:43 pm

YUM! This looks so good!

October 24, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Anonymous,
    Welcome to you! Hope you love the recipes.
    I bought the dishes last fall at Walmart. Not sure if they still have them this year.
    Have a great day!

October 26, 2011 at 2:09 am

i might have to try this one out on hubby next week!!

October 26, 2011 at 2:35 pm

We had this last night and it was so good! My daughter hates soup but she loved this! We all loved it! Thanks Jamie (and Julie :) !

October 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm

This was the best soup ever! We had it with your bread bowls, I think I'm in heaven!!!!!

November 3, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Can I substitute the butter with anything else to make it a little healthier?

November 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Hi Heather,
    The butter and flour work together as a thickener for this soup. You could try cooking the onions in a little cooking spray, omitting the flour and then adding about 3 T cornstarch that has been mixed in 1/4 C of water just before you add the broccoli at the end. You would need to bring it to a boil for the cornstarch to thicken the soup. Let me know how it turns out. Good luck!

November 7, 2011 at 1:52 am

Jamie,

I just made this – and found it to be HEAVENLY. All of my kids chowed it down. It was so good, it was blog worthy. Hope you don't mind me sharing…I gave you props, promise!

Thanks for your yummy, yummy food!

Colleen
    December 5, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I made this soup last week and we loved it. It was even just as yummy the next day! Will share this recipe with my daughter. Thanks!

January 3, 2012 at 12:02 am

Made this soup tonight for dinner and everyone loved it. My boyfriend doesn't like flavor so he said it was too much onion but everyone else loved it even my 3 1/2 year old daughter. Next time I will just use less onion but I will definately make again! Thanks :)

March 3, 2012 at 2:26 am

Hi Jamie,
    This soup looks very good! I have tried and loved many of your recipes. I am just wondering, about how much broccoli is to be added. You call for 1 bunch in the recipe but the amount looks like quite a bit more than any of the single bunches I see at the store. About how many cups?
    Thanks, Jennifer

March 5, 2012 at 5:21 am

Hi Jennifer,
    Thanks for your question. I would imagine the it's about 5-6 cups of broccoli, once it's chopped but before it's cooked. Good luck! Hope you love it!

Erin
    September 29, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I’m making this for dinner tonight but I don’t have any half and half. I’m going to substitute it with 2% milk and add just a bit less depending on the consistency. What do you think about this? I hope it works!

October 1, 2012 at 7:17 am

Hey Erin,
      I hope it turned out well for you. My first thought is that it might not have been as creamy as the orignal recipe, but still tasted good. How did it go?

Joy
    October 1, 2012 at 11:07 am

This soup looks so good! You know one of my favorite things about your site? The “Print Recipe With Picture” option! :) Not many bloggers do this….and I really like pics on my recipes. So thanks! (It’s the little things, lol)

Joy
    October 1, 2012 at 11:10 am

This soup looks so good! You know one of my favorite things about your site? The “Print Recipe With Picture” option! :) Not many bloggers do this….and I really like pics on recipes I print. So thanks! (It’s the little things, lol)

Laurel
    November 8, 2013 at 10:45 am

I just wanted to let you know that I made this fo rmy family last night and it was absolutely delicious! Thank you for a simple, satisfying soup perfect for a chilly November night in New England. My picky 2-year-old even gobbled it up and his 4 year-old big bro who NEVER eats soup declared, “Mommy, I like green soup now!” Thank you so much for the tasty, family-friendly recipes, but, moreover, for taking the time to create the meal plans that make our lives go a little bit smoother in the dinner department! (I am so happy that I found your website via Pinterest!)

Josephine
    January 11, 2014 at 9:34 am

I was wondering can I use heavy cream instead of half and half? See I live in Holland and its not easy to find a half-n-half.

January 13, 2014 at 7:07 am

Josephine,
      I bet heavy cream would be absolutely divine. :) Best of luck to you!