Crispy Cheddar Chicken

Crispy Cheddar Chicken

I have a simple dinner recipe for you today. Simple and easy and tasty and smile provoking…an all around treasure.
I love it when smiles are provoked. Heck. I’ll take a smile from my kids even without provoking it! It’s just so much nicer when people smile instead of whine.

Do you like whining?
Not a fan, myself.
Speaking of my children…the other day we were watching a cooking show on The Food Network and one of my kids said…
“Hey Mom, you like to cook.
Why don’t you be the cooker on that show?”
My response?
“I’m pretty sure The Food Network frowns upon cookers who use cream of chicken soup. I think I’m out.”
Especially since just last week three of the trial recipes I made for this little ol blog
crashed and burned in failure. I used real cream in all of them!
Cross your fingers that real cream and I can become friends soon.
I hear from the good folks on The Food Network that it’s a mighty fine ingredient.

Now. Do I feel embarrassed about cooking with cream of chicken soup? Heavens no! I just bought three cases of it last month.
Should you feel embarrassed about cooking with
cream of chicken soup?

Of course not!
Are you the cooking she-rah for your family or what?
Do make food that provokes a smile?
Do your family members occasionally say things like…
“You are The Bomb, Mom. What ever you made with that trusty old cream of chicken soup is rocking my world.”

I thought so.
I knew you were great!
We cream of chicken soup lovin’ ladies have to stick together.

The following sides go well with this recipe. Pick one or two and you’ll have yourself one fine meal. :)

Rice Pilaf with Almonds

3 C cheddar cheese, grated
1 t dried parsley
Sauce:
1   10 ounce can cream of chicken soup
2 T sour cream
2 T butter

1. Cut each chicken breast into 3 large chunks.

2. In a small food processor grind up the ritz crackers.

3. Pour the milk, cheese and cracker crumbs into 3 separate small pans. Toss the 1/4 t salt and 1/8 t pepper into the cracker crumbs and stir the mixture around to combine.

4. Dip each piece of chicken into the milk…

then the cheese. Press the cheese into the chicken with your fingers. Some of it will fall off when you add it to the cracker crumbs, don’t worry about it.

Press the cheesy chicken into the cracker crumbs and press it in. By the time you are coating the last piece of chicken, the dish you are using for the crumbs will be full of cheese. Don’t let it get you down. Once the cheese melts in the oven it will adhere nicely to the crumbs and the crackers.

5. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and lay the chicken inside the pan.

6. Sprinkle the dried parsley over the chicken.
7. Cover the pan with tin foil and bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove the tin foil, bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the edges of the chicken are golden brown and crispy.
8. Into a medium sized sauce pan combine the cream of chicken soup, sour cream and butter with a whisk. Stir it over medium high heat until the sauce is nice and hot. Serve over the chicken.
Enjoy!
The last

Matt
    March 6, 2014 at 11:21 am

ummm, I’m a man, not a lady. So I guess if I were a cooking member of The Masters of the Universe, I’d be the cooking He-Man, or maybe Orko.

March 6, 2014 at 3:11 pm

HI I LUV UR WEBSITE CANT WAIT 2 TRY THIS TY SO MUCH WILL LET U KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT…..FINE IM SURE

Lisa Langlais
    March 11, 2014 at 5:08 pm

I made this for dinner tonight, it was awesome!!!

Janet
      May 19, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Any tips in making the cheese stick better?

May 20, 2014 at 9:09 am

Hi Janet,
        If you use freshly grated cheese that will help. Best of luck to you!

Leslie
        July 17, 2014 at 4:16 pm

As I finished coating the pieces I noticed the cheese yummies in the crumbs. Has anyone ever tried mixing the crumbs and cheese BEFORE starting the coating process? Seems like that will help keep everything sticking together.

Sara
          July 17, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Leslie – I haven’t mixed the two using this recipe but I have another recipe with similar ingredients and have mixed the cheese with the breadcrumbs. I can’t speak comparatively to this method but with the other way I found no trouble using prepackaged shredded cheese and having it stick. It was dunked in garlic butter first instead of milk so not sure if that makes a difference.

Sue
          July 17, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I always mix the crackers and cheese together before the coating process.

Michelle T
    March 12, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I’ve made this many times over the last few months. I sub out the regular stuff for fat free and reduced fat; it tastes just fine. I didn’t have sour cream tonight though, so I just added the butter and a little milk. Again, came out just fine. :)

Jeri B
    March 14, 2014 at 10:54 am

Our new favorite dish!! I added dry mustard & garlic to the sauce.

Dawn
    March 16, 2014 at 8:13 am

I made this dish the other day… and it was delicious, especially the sauce topping. I knew it’d be good when I got it from the oven and could hear the crispy cheese and crackers.

March 17, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I made this dish this evening and it was very delious. I recommend this for sure.

Sadia
    March 20, 2014 at 3:41 am

Hi in this receipe can u use anything n place of cream of chicken?

Rosemary Millar
      April 2, 2014 at 3:07 pm

i buy a variety of cream of …soups…i mix and match whichever one i have on hand :D

Rachel Clevenger
    March 29, 2014 at 11:00 am

Your recipes look delicious. I would love to try them.

April 18, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I am sure this post has touched all the internet users, its really really fastidious
    post on building up new weblog.

Ashley
    April 19, 2014 at 6:57 pm

This is an all time favorite in our house. Made it tonight and it got devoured. It’s easily made for my family at least twice a month. Thank you for the great recipe!

Amy
    April 21, 2014 at 2:53 pm

So refreshing to see someone who’s not anti-”cream of” these days! Can’t wait to try this…and probably lick the sides of my “cream of” can!

Shari Kalous
    May 7, 2014 at 5:57 pm

My daughter gave me this recipe a little over a year ago, OMG! Now my husband even requests it! He is a Molitary man and everyone knows they eat everything! So for him to pull this out and say “Hey, make that chicken stuff again!” Is an honor! lol However might I suggest making your OWN cream of chicken soup? It is SO much better than can and you can make a large batch at once! Use it just like the can and freeze portion it! I am an organic cook.

Kayla Bishop
    May 8, 2014 at 6:39 pm

This is my first time trying it. I really hope it goes well because I’m fixing it for my boyfriend. Will write back on here and tell how it went. WISH ME LUCK!

Lorrie Hardway
    May 16, 2014 at 4:24 pm

This is a favorite at our house ever since we found it! It is great even without the sauce, in fact my son prefers it that way. Almost anything with cheese as the ingredient is a hit at our house and this recipe has become one of our favorites. The chicken is juicy and tender and the coating is nice and cheesy and crunchy, just like the name implies. Thanks for the recipe!

Chris
    May 18, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Just made this today. Cheese does not stick to chicken — most falls off, so I sprinkled some on top before I baked.

Janet
    May 19, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Any tips on making the cheese stick?

oyster
      May 24, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Add a beaten egg to your milk to make the cheese stick

oyster
    May 24, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Add one beaten egg to the milk to make the cheese and crackers stick. The cheese just doesn’t stick with milk alone!

keisha
    May 28, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Could i use chicken broth instead of cream of chicken

June 8, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the page layout of your blog?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect
    with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having
    1 or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?

Kziegler
    June 10, 2014 at 6:59 pm

I tried this tonight…wonderful! I read a lot of previous posts. I didn’t have problems with cheese. You just gotta press it hard on chicken and it worked just fine! Thank you for receipe!

Jennifer R.
    June 19, 2014 at 7:31 pm

We have made this dish a couple of times, and it is delicious. Thank you for posting this. :)

Danelle
    July 8, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Just made this for dinner and it was absolutely delicious!!!! I will definitely be making this again and again!!

Sara
    July 9, 2014 at 8:28 am

Where do you get your chicken breasts from? This may sound weird, but they look so much better than the glop I usually get at my grocery store. I end up with half of what I buy because of all the white fat I have to trim off.

Sue
      July 9, 2014 at 9:49 am

I live in Iowa, I get my chicken breasts from either Sam’s Club or Fareway. Both places have very large pieces and have very little fat.

July 12, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Sara,
      I usually buy them at Costco or Sam’s. Hope this helps!

Sara
        July 17, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Thanks both Sue and Jamie! I see such a difference – I would assume BJs would be similar? It’s the only warehouse club within ten miles of my house! Anything has to be better than Tyson though!

Devin Sloan
    July 9, 2014 at 1:25 pm

What sides do you make with this?

Sue
      July 9, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I make what my grandkids like. Butter rice, butter noodles, peas and mandarin oranges.

banksey
    July 17, 2014 at 10:54 am

Has anyone used cornflake crumbs instead of ritz cracker crumbs? I’ve never used ritz before and not sure how it will taste.

Lois E. Goreham
    July 20, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Enjoyed this dish very much ; will definitely try again.

Debby
    July 28, 2014 at 6:44 pm

To make the cheese stick use buttermilk instead of milk….tastes even better. You can also use crushed stove top stuffing instead of ritz crackers. So good and so simple.