Pumpkin Pie Sheet Cake

Pumpkin Pie Sheet Cake

If you love Pumpkin Pie, but don’t want to worry about shaping and making and baking a pie crust…this is the perfect dessert for you.

The crust is a combination of cake mix, butter and an egg. No shaping required! Just press it into a jelly roll pan, mix up your filling, pour it on top, bake it up and you will be sitting pretty with a Pumpkin Pie Sheet Cake dessert divine.

Want a few more details?Like a list of the ingredients!
Ok, then.

1 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1 t ginger
1/2 t cloves
4 eggs
2  12 ounce cans evaporated milk

1. To make the crust, pour the cake mix into your stand mixer, or medium sized mixing bowl. Pour the melted butter over the cake mix and stir it in for about 30 seconds. Add your egg and mix until all ingredients are well combined.

2. Spray a large jello roll pan (mine is 11 1/2 by 16 1/2) with cooking spray. Press the crust into the pan.

3. Into a small mixing bowl combine the sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.

4. Crack the eggs into your stand mixer and beat them for about 1 minute, or until frothy.

5. Add the sugar mixture

and the pumpkin and mix until combined.
6. Pour in the canned milk and mix until combined.
7. CAREFULLY pour the filling over the crust. Now. Just a word to the wise here. Your pan will be full. Really full. The kind of full that just might spill over the top while you carry it to the oven, if you aren’t careful. I would advise setting the crust as close to the oven as possible, then pour the filling in so you don’t have very far to walk.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
9. Cool completely, then cut into squares and serve with whip cream.

Linda Gilliam
    October 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm

As with all your wonderful recipes, this one looks
    scrumptious ! Thank you for all the great recipes
    and giveaways!
    Linda Gilliam
    redparrot53@mchsi.com

October 20, 2011 at 12:55 pm

This looks really yummy! A great alternative to pumpkin pie because I hate making pie crust! :) Thanks for sharing!

I'm loving all the pumpkin recipes this week!

October 20, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Do you realize that with all of these delicious recipes you are taking up all of my time? I am suppose to take a dessert and rolls to Enrichment tonight so I made pumpkin fudge last night, I am planning on making fluffy dinner rolls and holiday crescent rolls (if I have time) and now this is just screaming to me to make it so I can take it tonight.
    Yesterday I made PB & Chocolate rice krispies for cub scouts. I am enjoying the options to print so I can print off all of these recipes that I want to make and then if I need to I can come look at a step if I don't quite understand. Thank you thank you!! You are making me look so good:)

October 20, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I LOVE your recipes. Thanks so much for sharing! This one looks delicious. What are the dimensions of your pan?

October 20, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Steph,
    Check you out! You are like some kind of cooking machine or something. You go girl!

October 20, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Diana,
    Thanks for you question, one others may have as well. My pan is 11 1/2 by 16 1/2.
    Good luck! Hope it turns out great!

October 20, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Hi! This looks scrumptious! BUT is there a cheat to the spices that just uses the pumpkin pie spice instead of all the others??
    Thanks!
    J.

October 20, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Just wondering what kind on knives they are and where you can buy them. You said you have them and use them? I really need some decent knives but always pick the wrong ones.

P.S. I LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEE your blog!

October 20, 2011 at 11:26 pm

This sounds so good! I'm definitely going try this…I LOVE your blog!!

Laura
    October 21, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I made this today, and it is absolutely delicious! All the pumpkiny goodness of pie without the hassle of pie crust! It made enough for my family and our neighbor who is recuperating from surgery. Thank you for your wonderful recipes!! :-)

October 22, 2011 at 12:34 am

I made this today, and I agree it was delicious. Everyone loved it. The recipe was easy to follow. Thank you!

October 24, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I just made this and it was amazing!!! Thank you!!!

October 25, 2011 at 12:59 am

I made this tonight!!! What a hit!!! The kids even love it! I plan to take it to work tomorrow!!!

October 25, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Wow – So I made this today while I !was working from home. Delicious and super easy. I can't wait to bring it into work tomorrow just to be the first to say, “Saw this on Pinterest and actually MADE it too!”

October 31, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I made it for my bunco group and we all loved it :) I liked how easy it was! I will be making this again!!!

November 1, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Love all your recipes so much! When I need a new recipe I know I can count on you. One question, should leftover cake be kept in refrig?

November 1, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Anonymous,
    It will stay good left on the counter for a couple of days, but will stay good for about a week if you refrigerate. Glad the recipes have been working out for you!

November 8, 2011 at 7:46 pm

It is in the oven :)

Lauren
    April 14, 2012 at 4:49 am

A bit late to comment, but as an American living in Australia where autumn is beginning, my internal clock keeps telling me Thanksgiving is on its way. I’m optimistic this will satisfy my cravings for apple cider donuts and everything pumpkin.
    Have you tried making this is a smaller pan (say, 9×13) or even in a spring form pan? I can’t find a jelly roll pan here. Any suggestions?

Susie Moon
    September 1, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I just came across this recipe and had to try it. I did add some chopped walnuts over the batter because we love nuts. Delicious!

Tammy
    September 11, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I used a spice cake mix instead. I have also added some sliced canned peaches on the top of the batter before I baked it. It was really good.

September 28, 2012 at 10:44 am

Do you have a recipe box so I can save your recipes?

October 1, 2012 at 7:21 am

Hi Barb,
      Thanks for asking. I’m working with Ziplist currently and hoping to get the recipe box up and running this week. Thanks!

Amber
    October 7, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I made this today – I want to eat the entire pan myself. Delish! And thanks for the warning about how full the pan would be, I’m an absolute klutz, so I chose to put the pan on the oven rack & pour the filling in! MUCH better than trying to carry the pan to the oven! lol

February 8, 2014 at 6:09 am

Ellen Ing – These pictures are gourgoes, what I like the most is they are so natural.Thanks for taking these beautiful pictures of our precious granddaughter, daughter-in-law and son.Only a professional photogapher can do these.Ellen and Shen (Grandma and Grandpa)

Hailey
    October 13, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Just put this in the oven (glad I read the comments, because I took a previous poster’s advice and put my pan in the oven and THEN poured the mixture on top) It looks super liquid-y, hopefully its a success because it sure looks yummy!

Cindy
    October 18, 2012 at 7:26 pm

This is AWESOME! I have made it twice now. I don’t have a stand mixer, but a hand mixer does just as well!!

Kate
    October 21, 2012 at 11:31 am

I have been making this recipe for a couple years now; with slightly different amounts of ingredients. I have made my own modifications. One of these modifications is the use of French Vanilla cake mix instead of the Classic Yellow. Try it! It’s delicious. Also, I save approx. one cup of the cake mix to make a top “crust” for on top of the pumpkin filling. It’s 1 cup of cake mix + 1/2 stick of butter (melted), 1/4 cup chopped pecans, 1/4 brown sugar, 1/4 sugar. Mix together (consistency should be similar to playdough), and flatten in your hand. I spread it over the filling. It makes a thin layer. It’s an added dimension that makes this recipe stand out even more than your traditional pumpkin pie! Enjoy =)

October 22, 2012 at 12:16 am

I work at a homeless shelter ad will be making Thanksgiving dinner this year, this recipe will come in handy, I wanted to make pies but way to time consuming, thank you so much for this awesome idea!!

Dolores
    October 27, 2012 at 4:38 pm

While I am an experienced cook, I really do thank you for the pictures. I never made a sheet cake and it was nice to see what the pan looked like and with the ingredients in the pan looked like. Thanks again, and keep up the greet work.

janet
    October 30, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I made this yesterday, had some trouble… I baked it 40 minutes and it burned on the bottom :-( Temp was correct. Not sure what was wrong. Otherwise, super easy and quick. I used fresh sweet potatoes and buttercup squash instead of canned pumpkin. It turned out yummy

Lani
    November 8, 2012 at 8:52 am

I want to make this today and have everything except the cake mix. But I do have refrigerated ready to roll pie crusts that REALLY needs to used. Could I roll out the crust into the bottom of the jelly roll pan instead of making the crust with cake mix? If I do, would I need to change anything else like baking times, etc?

November 11, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Lani,
      I haven’t ever tried this recipe using a jelly roll pan and a pastry crust. However the recipe for the pumpkin filling is strait from the back of a Libby’s Pumpkin can. It’s the recipe used for pumpkin pie. So it would definitely work as a pie filling. I’m just not sure if you would want to make it in a jelly roll pan. I think the crust might burn a bit.
      Good luck!

Paula
    November 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I guess I should have made this before today, the day before Thanksgiving, because mine is a disaster. I have a jelly roll pan the size you specify and that amount of filling would not even almost fit in the pan. So, now I have poured the pumpkin mixture back into my bowl and am trying to salvage the now pumpkin-slimed crust and put it into a 13×9 cake pan. I can’t get the crust to spread with it this wet, so I guess I will have to trash the crust and start over. Do you really mean (2) 12 oz. cans of milk? This seems like an enormous amount of filling.

November 21, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Hi Paula,
      Perhaps the problem is with the sides of your pan. Maybe they aren’t quite as deep as mine, and so you have some extra filling. The recipe is correct, you do need both cans of evaporated milk. This recipe fills my pan to the brim, and the when it cooks the crust puffs up a bit and the filling cooks down some. So sorry you have had trouble with it today. Not what you would like to have happen on Thanksgiving Eve. :) Hope it works out for you in the future. Just FYI, the filling for this recipe is just a standard pumpkin pie filling. If you want to make a couple of pie crusts, it will make 2 pies. Good luck!

MelissaM
    November 23, 2012 at 11:08 am

Made this Wednesday night. I had two sized jelly roll pan, one a bit smaller and one a bit larger, went with the smaller pan and had enough filling for a whole pie also. We loved this and my mom is taking the recipe back home with her. Thanks.

Yuvonne
    March 3, 2013 at 4:57 pm

This was an awesome cake. My husband’s work has a pot luck about every month, and this was a wonderful find. Fast, easy and yummy!!!!

Carmen
    April 8, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Just a helpful hint. Place the pan with crust on your slide out oven shelf, pour in the pumpkin mixture and slide it in to bake. Only take a minute so your oven wont lose much heat in the time it takes to do this and keeps spills at a minimum.

Michele Yancey
    November 17, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I made this last night but I only added 1 can of evaporated milk by accident and the filling fit my sheet pan perfectly (which was my tip-off that I may have done something wrong). The whole hour it was baking I really didn’t think it would turn out well at all. Much to my surprise, it tastes wonderful! So much so that I don’t think I’ll ever add 2 cans of evaporated milk when I make this again! What a fantastic recipe! Thanks so much!

Traci
    November 19, 2013 at 11:27 am

This looked so good, until I noticed the packaged cake mix. So many unpronounceable chemicals in those things– I avoid them completely.

Beth
    November 19, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Can u use a white cake mix instead of yellow?

Carrie
    November 24, 2013 at 8:18 am

This will be my first time making this, I’m so excited! I just want to confirm on the recipe that the “t” for the spices means “teaspoon”. I would assume but wanted to be correct. Also, I read through a lot of comments, anyone suggest a cake pan vs. jelly roll pan? If so, what size?

Thanks!!

November 25, 2013 at 6:15 am

Carrie,
      Yes, the t stands for teaspoon. I would stick with a jelly roll pan. :) Good luck!