Bean with Bacon Soup

Bean with Bacon Soup

Hey there, everyone! I hope you were able to enjoy the long Thanksgiving weekend with loved ones and some fabulous food.
And now…we are heading in to the holly jolly season of giving. Here it comes in all it’s glory. Let the good times roll.
I have a lot of new Christmas Treat recipes to share with you.Watch for a plethora of sugary confections coming next week.
Buy some extra carrot sticks and celery to nibble on while you view all of the treats I have in store for us, okay? I wouldn’t want any extra calories to sneak through the screen and make your pants too tight. Man yourself with some vegetables in preparation, okie doke?
But, this week…I thought we better have some soup. What do you say?
Several weeks ago, I asked MyHandsomeHusband if he wouldn’t mind giving me a hand with a little recipe creating. He’s got a real knack with soups and sauces and was nice enough to come up with a Bean with Bacon Soup, just for you and I.
This soup has a wonderful smokey flavor and is very hearty and filling, perfect for a crisp November Day.
All of my kids loved it.
MyTeenSonMark wanted me to tell you “The soup is killer good…but if you dip a piece of Fabulous French Bread in it,
well then it turns in to THE BOMB DOT COM.”
So there you have it.
Don’t be overwhelmed by the ingredient list, my friends.  Once your bacon and veggies have cooked you just dump everything else in and let the old girl simmer for 30 minutes. Pretty simple.

Let’s do it!

Bean with Bacon Soup
Time: 40 minutes
Recipe from MyHandsomeHusband
***Note: This recipe freezes super well. Just let it cool after you are done cooking and store it in a gallon sized freezer safe ziploc bag.
3/4 pound bacon
1 small onion
4 large carrots
4   15 ounce cans Great Northern Beans
4 C water
2 bay leaves
1/4 t pepper
1 T beef bullion (or 3 cubes)
3 T tomato paste
1 t liquid smoke
2 t Worcestershire sauce
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 t salt
1/8 t basil, dried
1/4 t thyme, dried
2 T sugar
pinch red pepper flakes

1. Chop up your bacon into chunks.

2. Toss them into a large soup pot and cook the bacon over medium high heat, just until the edges start to crisp. You don’t want it too crunchy, the middle of the bacon pieces should still be a bit pink.

3. Chop your onions and carrots up into little small pieces.

4. Add the vegetables to the bacon and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the veggies are crisp tender.

5. Drain the juices of JUST ONE CAN Great Northern beans into the sink.  You want  the juices from the other 3 cans to go into the soup pot. Add the drained can, and the other three cans to the soup pot.
I wanted to show you a picture of Liquid Smoke. It’s a must have in this recipe and is a common item found in every grocery store I’ve ever shopped at.
6. Add all other ingredients and bring the soup to a boil.  Reduce the heat to a simmer and let it cook for about 30 minutes.
Serve with a crusty loaf of bread. This Fabulous French Bread works wonderfully, if you are in to making your own bread.

Enjoy!

November 28, 2011 at 5:47 pm

My husband told me just yesterday he wants bean soup for supper. Perfect timing. I'm making THIS soup for him. Thanks for posting. :)

November 28, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I have a lot of leftover ham from Thanksgiving. Do you think it would taste as good? Also I saw a food chopper that you have when you made the roasted root veggies. What brand is that and are you happy with it??
    Thanks soooo much. I love your blog, it's delightful!
    mariannedwyer74@gmail.com
    -Marianne

November 29, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Made the soup and french bread for dinner last night – kids and husband all thought it was good. I thought it much more flavorful than my regular beans and ham soup. Thanks for the great recipe!

November 29, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Jamie, this sounds wonderful. I'm in the PNW and we have wet and chilly weather at this time of year. This will ward off the chill. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

November 29, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Made this last night and it was SO delicious!! The whole family loved it! It will be making a debut on my blog here soon!:)

Also, I used the natural Hickory liquid smoke instead of the natural mesquite…sent my hubby to the store to get some and that's what he came home with. I didn't realized there was more than one kind!:) Still delicious!

November 29, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Will have to try this! I LOVE liquid smoke, I always use it in my turkey burgers and it's currently in our crockpot with some chicken thighs!

November 29, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Hi I haven't made the soup yet, but I did try your bread, and am hoping you can tell me about how long your loaves are before baking? Mine had fresh yeast, but were spread wide like a fociacha (sp) I'm a good experienced bread baker, but these spread and were flat–tasty but didn't resemble french bread in the least. ana you advise?

November 30, 2011 at 1:27 am

YUM! I love bean with bacon soup. This homemade version looks fabulous!!

December 2, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Made this soup today (exactly like yours – lol).
    It was delicious!! Thank you, Pat/Central Texas

December 7, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Oh my gosh! This was my fav soup when I was little! I've never even tried to make it. Thanks so much for this recipe. I've never seen liquid smoke, should it be next to the other sauces?

December 9, 2011 at 2:50 am

Hi Gwen,
    Most grocery stores keep it with the BBQ sauces, A1, Worcestershire…etc. Good luck! Hope you love it!

March 6, 2012 at 4:45 am

This soup was amazing!!! We ate it tonight and all but one of my kids loved it. (I have 7 kids)Even the baby gobbled up his soup. Thank you!

April 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Made this soup with the french bread last night!! Another Keeper!! You have the best recipes–they all turn out!! Fool-proof, they work every time and they all taste great!!Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this blog, I'm always checking it!! Kristin Thompson

Trimble
    October 2, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Made this tonight and it was very yummy. I used turkey bacon and that didn’t taste very good so we’ll go with the real thing next time. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

Ellen
    December 15, 2012 at 10:50 am

Hello, looking forward to making this soup for Christmas presents for friends. I’d like to know if after you’ve cooked the bacon, did you drain off the fat before adding the onion/carrots? Or is the bacon drippings part of the soup? I was unable to decipher from the recipe. Thanks! :)
    Ellen

December 16, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Ellen,
      Wow! What a great idea for a gift! The bacon drippings are part of the soup here. If you are worried about it having too much fat, you can go ahead and drain some of the grease off. Just be sure and leave yourself a tablespoon or so. Good luck! Hope you enjoy the soup!

Heidi
    July 6, 2013 at 5:07 pm

This sounds so up my family’s alley… I can’t wait to make it next time we have a stormy chilly day! But here’s my question… how do you recommend freezing this soup? Do you cook it all first and then freeze? Do you cook the bacon and veggies and then add the rest of the stuff (not cooked on stove) and then freeze? I’m in a freezer meal group and can’t wait to do this one next time! Thanks!
    Heidi

Phyllis
    February 22, 2014 at 9:40 am

I made this soup last night and it is wonderful. It has a lot of ingredients, but nothing I did not have on hand except liquid smoke. I agree with Jamie though that it is an essential ingredient

Melanie
    April 9, 2014 at 9:58 am

Made this for dinner last night and it was delish! So much better than the canned stuff. Both my picky eaters had seconds. Thank you for sharing.

Jennifer
    April 13, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I made this today. Didn’t have liquid smoke so I used smoked paprika instead & it turned out very good. Thanks for the recipe–I hadn’t thought about this soup since I was little. Used to love it out of the can – feels good to give it to my sons homemade.

May 4, 2014 at 8:13 am

I’ve made this soup 3 or 4 times now and it has become one of hubby (and my!) favorites. I’ve also recently started making bread so, of course, had to try your French Bread. Easy and so, so good – turned out perfectly!!

Zozo
    June 10, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Any alternatives to liquid smoke? we don’t have such products here in South Africa.

July 26, 2014 at 2:01 pm

After I originally left a comment I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on every time a comment is added I receive 4 emails with the exact same comment.
    Is there a means you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

August 4, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Hello! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?

I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m
    having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!

Bryn
    September 18, 2014 at 5:27 am

I’m planning on making this this weekend..I don’t have beef bullion that I can measure by the tablespoon. Can you tell me how many cubes that would equate to?

September 18, 2014 at 10:27 am

Hi Bryn,
      You will need 3 cubes. Best of luck to you!

October 16, 2014 at 4:12 pm

A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment.
    I believe that you ought to publish more about this subject,
    it might not be a taboo matter but typically people
    don’t speak about these subjects. To the next! Best wishes!!

October 21, 2014 at 5:05 am

I have read a few good stuff here. Certainly price bookmarkinhg ffor revisiting.
    I wonder how so much attempt yyou set to create onee of these
    magnificent informative site.

October 21, 2014 at 1:50 pm

excellent publish, very informative. I ponder why the
    other experts of this sector don’t understand this. You must
    continue your writing. I am confident, you’ve a great readers’ base already!

October 22, 2014 at 1:21 am

Thanks designed for sharing such a pleasant idea, paragraph is good, thats why i have read
    it fully

October 23, 2014 at 7:04 pm

It’s remarkable in favor of me to have a site, which is useful in support of my knowledge.
    thanks admin

October 23, 2014 at 7:06 pm

you are really a good webmaster. The website loading
    velocity is amazing. It sort of feels that you are doing any
    unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece.
    you have performed a excellent process in this matter!