Christmas if fast approaching, my friends.
Do you feel merry and bright?
Jolly and ho dee ho ho?
I bet you’re not even the least bit tired out, or worn out or cheered out. I’m sure you’re out there shopping with the best of ‘em. You’ve most likely been helping with the community Christmas Pageant, mailed out pretty cards to your friends and family, purchased all of your gifts on black Friday for a screaming deal, which you have most certainly already wrapped with ribbons and bows. Why, I wouldn’t doubt you have even made and decorated a gorgeous gingerbread house that would make Martha Stewart
pass out cold, just from gazing for one second at your
and aesthetically pleasing creation.
You haven’t done ANY of these things?
I have, however but up to my eyeballs in more butter, sugar and chocolate than I dare admit to you all. Because it’s December. And in December we do nice things for each other,
like give each other food made with butter, sugar and chocolate.
Because we don’t want to be the ONLY one who’s
pants are too tight, come December 26th.
And so today,
I thought we all might enjoy feasting our eyes upon some
Crispy Parmesan and Garlic Chicken.
Because a girl can not live on chocolate alone.
And because rumor has it that
olive oil and garlic and chicken are better on a girls waist line.
What a simple concept.
Eat more chicken, less chocolate.
Cross your fingers in hopes I’ll remember it.
Thanks for your participation.
This dish comes together VERY quickly. The chicken soaks in a marinade through out the day, is then coated with Parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs and is baked in the oven for about 30 minutes. The flavor is AMAZING. The chicken tender and juicy…
I can be merry about that, for sure.
I’ve been eating this chicken all week (without the sauce) but tossed in this yummy version of
Let’s make the chicken!
Crispy Parmesan and Garlic Chicken
Time: 10 min. hands on + 4-12 hours marinating + 30 min. baking
Yield: 7 servings
Recipe adapted from Kalyns Kitchen
5 large chicken breasts
1 T minced garlic (I used the bottled variety)
1/3 C olive oil
3/4 t poultry seasoning
3/4 C panko bread crumbs (Italian Bread Crumbs would also be fine)
3/4 C Parmesan cheese (the kind in the green bottle)
Spaghetti Sauce of your choice
1. Pour 1 T garlic, 1/3 C olive oil and 3/4 t poultry seasoning into a small sauce pan. Warm it over medium heat for 1 minute.
2. With a sharp pair of kitchen scissors cut each chicken breast in half. Then, with a sharp knife cut a couple of long slits in the top of each chicken piece. Be careful not to cut all the way through. You just want a few slits here and there to allow the marinade to soak in.
3. Toss your chicken into a ziploc bag and pour the warm marinate over the top of it.
4. Seal your bag up carefully and tip it upside down to allow the marinate to run throughout the bag. Put it in your fridge and let it hang out there for at least 4 hours, and up to 24. Then go wrap some presents or bake something or hit the store for some stocking stuffers, will ya?
5. When you are ready to bake (and eat….:) preheat your oven to 425 and take your chicken out of the fridge.
6. Pour 3/4 C panko bread crumbs and 3/4 C Parmesan cheese into a loaf pan. Smash them together with a fork to combine.
7. Dip each piece of chicken into the cheese and bread crumb mixture. Press it into the chicken with your fingers.
8. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray.
9. Bake your chicken for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
10. Serve with spaghetti sauce and spaghetti noodles. This chicken is also wonderful the next day, heated in the microwave and then tossed with salad greens and Olive Garden Dressing.