Bourbon Chicken (without the bourbon)

Bourbon Chicken (without the bourbon)

A few days ago I was running errands with MyHandsomeHusband. Nothing big and important…just picking up cottage cheese and carrot sticks. Because that’s what I have been craving like mad  lately. And you know how carrot stick cravings go. You’ve got to get to the store and get some fast, before you kill over dead and all.

Anyhow, after we purchased food that will cure cancer and make our eyes shine in the dark, MyHandsomeHusband casually said…

“So, I’m pretty sure you are due for a cell phone upgrade. Isn’t your phone a couple of years old? Would you like to stop at the T-Mobile store and see what they have for you.”

“I guess so.” I said.  “I mean, my phone is totally fine. I just need to be able to call, text and check my email. But I guess if I am DUE for an upgrade, we can see if they have something that will do all of that.”

So we did.

And who can believe it! But the advances technology makes in two years time is flat out stunning. Who knew that phones these days can play a game about angry birds, while playing some Pandora tunes, while notifying me of new emails, texts, stats, pins….while taking a picture or two and I think it may even be able to vacuum my floors and do the dishes. (Still trying to find that app….any tips anyone?)

Suffice it to say, technology is really incredible. Who are you genius type people out there thinking up all these clever ideas, anyway? I hope someone is making you something really good to eat. You deserve it.

Bravo, is what I have to say.

PS…could one of you please come, at your earliest convenience and show me how to work the blessed thing. I think I may have sent everyone I know 3 texts inviting them to go swimming with me tomorrow.

Help a girl out, won’t you….I could promise you a whole bag of carrot sticks in return. :)

Since finding this fabulous recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago, I have made it twice already. It’s very simple to put together and tastes wonderful. Every person in my family gives it a thumbs up.
Seven thumbs up, my friends.
That’s a lot of thumbs.
Come right along now, let’s make it.
Bourbon Chicken
Time: 30-40 minutes
Recipe from Big Oven via Pinterest

***Note: This recipe is actually a great freezer meal. Cook according to recipe instructions. Allow it to cool and then place in a deep 9×9 aluminum foil pan and cover tightly with foil. When you are ready to use is allow it to thaw completely and then bake at 350 just until its heated through. Should take about 30 minutes. I would suggest making the rice fresh, when you are ready to serve.
5 chicken breasts
2 T oil
1 t minced garlic
1/4 C apple or pineapple juice
1/3 C brown sugar
2 T ketchup
1 T apple cider vinegar
1/2 C water
1/3 C soy sauce
pinch red pepper flakes
1 T cornstarch

***NOTE: Here is a little trick I use to thaw chicken. Set the frozen chicken breasts in a large bowl in your sink. Pour hot tap water over the chicken. Let the it sit for about 10 minutes. Pour the water out and then pour fresh hot water over the chicken again. Let it sit for 10 more minutes, and it should be thawed. Pour the water off of the chicken and you are ready to use it.

1. Cut your chicken into small 1-2 inch pieces with some kitchen scissors.

2. Heat up a large skillet over medium high heat. Once it is hot, pour 2 T Olive Oil into it.

3. Add your chicken pieces to the pan and let them cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. The chicken will start to get a bit juicy and bubbly.

Put the lid on the pan, slightly tilted and drain the juices out into the sink. Return the pan to the stove top and continue cooking over medium high heat.

5. Into a medium sized mixing bowl combine 1 t garlic, 1/4 C apple or pineapple juice, 1/3 C brown sugar, 2 T ketchup, 1 T apple cider vinegar, 1/2 C water, 1/3 C soy sauce, a pinch of red pepper flakes and 1 T cornstarch. Whisk it all together until the cornstarch is dissolved and all ingredients are well combined.

6. When your chicken has a nice brown sear on some of the pieces…

pour the sauce into the pan. Stir it around to cover all the chicken pieces.

7. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and cover the pan with the lid at an angle to allow some of the steam to escape. Let this baby simmer away for about 20 minutes, stirring a couple of times during the cooking period.
8. Serve over white or brown rice

Enjoy!

January 4, 2012 at 8:11 am

lol!!! Your phone comments make me laugh……only because I can Totally relate!! My dear husband just upgraded our phones after 5 years. Yikes! I didn't even know how to turn the dang thing on!

P.S. I can't wait to try this chicken dish. Looks and sounds SO good!

January 4, 2012 at 10:34 am

The chicken recipe looks awesome. Can't wait to make that for the future husband.

If it's any consolation, I'm 24 and just joined the cell phone world last year by force, and I still don't know how to use the thing.

January 4, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Wow! Another fantastic recipe. I absolutely love your site. It is one I visit first on a daily basis and more often than not, make the item you post. This is on the list for dinner this weekend. Thank you for sharing!!

January 4, 2012 at 5:37 pm

It Isn't “kill” over hon, it's “keel”. As in a boat.

Rebecca A Kelly
    January 4, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I feel your pain!! the last new phone I got, it took me 3 days to figure out how to answer it!! I didn't know who to unlock it :)

January 4, 2012 at 6:26 pm

This looks delicious! I've already added apple cider vinegar to my grocery list! It will be nice to have bourbon chicken, without the actual bourbon, since I'm pregnant.

January 4, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I've made Chinese twice already this week, and this looks like a wonderful follow-up. Glad to see no alcohol, will make it soon.

January 4, 2012 at 6:44 pm

You just make my day with a recipe like this, sounds and look delicious.
    Thank you for all you do, for so many.

January 4, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Hi there. Just wanted to let you know that I love trying out your recipes. You've managed to turn a non-cooker into a wee bit of a chef. Haha! My husband and kids thank YOU for it. Please stop by sometime …
    loveliesinmylife.com
    xx Kirsty

January 4, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I love this recipe! I have used one similar for a couple of years. I love adding veggies (onion, carrots, celery, squash, zucchini, broccoli, etc.) to this and doubling the sauce.

January 4, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Where's the bourbon??? Hence the name Bourbon Chicken.

January 15, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Bourbon Chicken is named for Bourbon Street not the alcohol

January 5, 2012 at 12:01 am

Hey Jamie – I have everything ready to make this for dinner tonight. It looks scrumptious. I'm a pretty seasoned cook but I'm confused by your 1 tsp. garlic. Usually I see garlic with either “minced”, “crushed” or “fresh” before it or “powder” after it. In this case, I don't know if you mean garlic powder or fresh garlic. I have both on hand. Can you clarify? Thanks!

January 5, 2012 at 12:12 am

Hi Holly,
    Thanks for your question. I used minced garlic. If you don't have it on hand, I would use 1/2 t garlic powder. Good luck! Hope you love it!

Nancy Smith
    January 5, 2012 at 2:00 am

Really delicious, I made this tonight and it was a real hit. Thanks Jamie.

January 5, 2012 at 3:30 am

Jamie, thanks for the great recipe. I've only tried two recipes from your blog but they've both been big hits. (I do keep minced garlic on hand but used the garlic powder – everyone loved it! I only used three chicken breasts since we're a family of four but kept the sauce measurements the same. Even my extremely picky 3-yr-old had three servings!)I make the fabulous french bread OFTEN (in fact, there is a loaf in my freezer right now). I'm doing menu planning tonight for the month and I'll be going to your blog for several recipes. Thanks again!

January 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Really looks sensational! a wonderful chicken dish I'm eager to try
    mary x

January 6, 2012 at 12:57 am

I made this tonight and we all loved it. I added some pineapple chunks and red pepper too and that was great! Thanks for all the great recipes!

January 6, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I made this last night and it was a HUGE hit around these parts. All four kids and husband agreed that this is a recipe that needs to be made often. Thanks and keep 'em coming!

January 6, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Made this tonight! I added a 8oz can of pineapple chunks a few minutes before it's was done and it was delicious!! There's definitely no leftovers. Thanks for posting this!

January 9, 2012 at 2:48 am

We had this for dinner last night and my family LOVED it! Thank you so much! My kids are begging for more and the dinner is all gone and already cleaned up. They tell me it is definitely a make again.

January 9, 2012 at 2:49 am

….oops, I didn't mean last night I meant tonight. :)

January 9, 2012 at 4:11 am

Made this tonight. Yum! Thanks for posting. We had fresh bell pepper as garnish.

NancyRein
    January 15, 2012 at 3:55 am

I made this for my family tonight and the kids seemed to like it. Have a plate for my husband in the fridge. My chicken turned out kinda dry. Was yours juicy? Thanks

January 17, 2012 at 12:34 am

I made this for dinner last week. It was a huge hit with everyone in the family.

January 17, 2012 at 6:14 am

I made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious. Thanks for sharing!

January 24, 2012 at 3:31 am

This was fabulous!! Even my pickiest eater gobbled it up and proclaimed that it was the best dinner ever!! Thank you so much!

February 2, 2012 at 1:47 am

I made this for dinner tonight and YUM! Love your blog, this is the 4th recipe I have made from here and they have all been awesome!

February 3, 2012 at 1:27 am

*LOVED* this recipe! Thanks for sharing it!! :D

Eileen Tew
    February 24, 2012 at 6:36 am

So I made this for dinner tonight…. and while I was feeding the baby I started to get nervous that there would not be any left! My six, four, and two year old (and husband) were going to town! A recipe that my kids eat like that is a definite winner! THANK YOU! We love it and will be making this again! and again!

March 2, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Oooh! I pinned this. Looks awesome! However, I may add a little bourbon when I make it!

February 7, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Hey guys! I’m Jessica from Rexburg, Idaho!! I look forward to raiedng your blog EVERY DAY!! you guys are the best!! and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the yellow bag!!

March 2, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Looks like pure deliciousness to me. Thanks for sharing! :)

February 8, 2014 at 4:10 am

Only a business oficfe in Traverse City. Kentucky whiskey bottled by Ugly Dog Distillery in southern michigan. They do not make any whiskey and they have no distillery in TC. Causing a lot of confusion in the market place

March 7, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Loved this recipe! Posted it on facebook and a couple friends tried it too – thanks!

Jackie
    March 8, 2012 at 1:27 am

This recipe is SO yummy. Made it a couple weeks ago and it's on the menu again tonight :) Thanks for posting it!

March 9, 2012 at 2:01 am

I'm in the process of making this right now. So easy and smells delicious! I can't wait for dinner!

March 19, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Yum! I didn't have enough rice, so I subbed in a cup of frozen broccoli. Just tossed it in while the sauce bubbled away. It added a nice veggie addition to the rich, sticky, sweet sauce. Thanks for the recipe!

March 24, 2012 at 11:44 pm

I've made two of your recipes in the last two days….bourgon chicken and chicken gnocchi soup….you are the best!!

March 27, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Thank you so much for being a Pinterest friendly blog! We made this the other night and it was wonderful. I'm 3 for 3 with your meals so far, thanks for sharing.

April 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Does T mean Teaspoon or Tablespoon?

April 10, 2012 at 3:51 am

Hello, found you first on pinterest, then found this recipe following your blog, made it tonight and got the biggest compliment ever from my youngest son. This of course made my week, thank you Jamie.

April 16, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Found your blog on Pinterest and have been looking through all of your recipes all day long! Can't wait to try a number of them, including this one! One thing, though. Thawing your chicken in hot water is actually not safe. If you use water to thaw it, you are supposed to use cold water and change it often. I use the microwave to thaw my chicken if I forget to pull it out ahead of time. But regardless, your food looks delicious and I look forward to making it!! :)

Heather Berkey
    October 28, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Thank you! You have taught me a few things. Who would have thought scissors? LOL I always tell my husband the worst part about cooking is when I have to cut up chicken and you have made me one happy lady. The chicken thawing also genius. I sometimes forget to pull out dinner til too late and then it calls for take out, not anymore! I love to cook and find recipes and I am thankful for your site. I already made the crispy cheddar chicken, then yesterday had a party so I made the candy bar popcorn. Today I made this. I didn’t get too excited while cooking because sometimes I come across recipes that don’t taste good when done but the first thing that popped in my head when I tasted it was a swear word. Anyway it’s delicious. The crispy cheddar chicken was delicious too. Both I will be making all the time. I already printed a ton of your recipes to go in my recipe book. Thanks for sharing!

Mary
    November 26, 2012 at 8:57 am

I have not tried this yet, but plan on it tonight. I agree with Anneka, use COLD water to thaw the chicken, the hot water will actually start to cook the chicken a little bit. If you need to thaw any other meats, leave wrapped and thaw in a sink of cold water.

Mary
    November 26, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I did make this tonight, Awesome! My husband even liked it, and he normally doesn’t like this type of food. I will be making it again and again. May try the chicken stuffed crescent rolls tomorrow night.

melissa
    December 2, 2012 at 10:56 am

I was so glad to come across this as I love bourbon chicken but been a little afraid to make it bc it ask for Bourbon and being pregnant I know they say it ok if it burns out but how do you know it really burns out. So when I saw yours I was like I have to try this…. So I’m going to the store today and getting what I need and looking forward to trying it for dinner tomorrow:)

Cam
    December 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Tip: for super food court authentic, use boneless thigh meat!

Sharon
    December 3, 2012 at 10:56 am

Great recipe. I can’t have sugar but can easily adapt with Splenda. Came across your website by accident (as you’re not Jamie Oliver) but love it and have tried several recipes. Thanks.

Kim Huffman
    December 7, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Jamie,

The link to the brown rice is not working. Can it be fixed?

Merry Christmas!!

Kim

December 10, 2012 at 6:39 am

Hi Kim,
      Thanks for lettting me know about the broken link. I have fixed it. Hope you enjoy the recipe!

Kath
    January 8, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Jamie, the recipe looks good but I don’t think you want to advise people to thaw chicken with hot water. It is absolutely not safe. Check out this link: Kath

Jeanne
    January 17, 2013 at 10:14 am

I am going to try this tonight!
    I always thaw my chicken with hot water when I’ve forgotten to thaw it beforehand.

Jeanne
    January 18, 2013 at 6:51 am

I made this last night and my family loved it! Even my daughter who usually frowns at chicken and rice dishes loved it. When I told my hubby I was trying a new recipe, he got nervous (doesn’t enjoy trying new foods), but I assured him every recipe of yours we’ve tried, we’ve loved and this one did not disappoint! Adding it our rotation!
    Thank you.