Chicken Enchilada Soup (Crock Pot)

Chicken Enchilada Soup (Crock Pot)

Love me a good crock pot recipe.

Love smelling something hearty and tasty just a simmering away all day while I do really important things like go to the grocery store, wipe sticky messes off my counter (I am a professional counter wiper, don’t you know. It’s really glamorous work) and wrestle around on the floor with my little twin boys.

This Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup was a hit with my family. The flavor is wonderful! It only takes about 10 minutes to put it together…and it’s healthy.

I count that as a win, win, super win, hot diggity win.

Let’s make it, baby. You and me. Ten minutes to a tasty meal for you and yours. :)

Chicken Enchilada Soup

Chicken Enchilada Soup (Crock Pot)
Time: 10 min. hands on + 4 or 8 hours crock pot cooking
Recipe adapted from Real Mom Kitchen

1 (14.5 ounce) can Mexican Style Stewed Tomatoes
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
2 (15 ounce) cans corn
1/2 C onion, chopped
1/2 C red or green pepper, chopped
2 chicken breasts (I used frozen)
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
2 1/2 C milk
4 chicken bullion cubes (or 4 t bullion granules)
1/2 t lime juice (can be bottled)
1/3 C sour cream
2 T butter
Toppings:
Tortilla Chips
cheddar cheese
cilantro
avocado
DSC00393
1. Pour the whole can of stewed tomatoes into your crock pot, juice included. Diced tomatoes work best…

DSC00394
but if you only have whole stewed tomatoes, like me :) …then stick some kitchen scissors into the pot and cut up your tomatoes.
DSC00395
2. Drain and rinse the black beans and add them to the pot.
3. Drain the corn and add them as well.

DSC00397
4. Roughly chop up 1/2 C onion and 1/2 C of red or green pepper and toss them in.

DSC00398
5. Pour the enchilada sauce into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the cream of chicken soup,

DSC00399
  2 1/2 C milk and then crumble the bullion cubes over the top.

DSC00400
6. Whisk it all together until nice and smooth.

DSC00401
7. Place two chicken breasts over the vegetables in your crock pot. (I used frozen)

DSC00402
8. Pour the sauce over the top of the chicken.
9. Cover your crock and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7-8, depending on how fast your crock pot cooks things.
10. Remove the chicken and place it on a plate. Shred it with a fork.
11. Add the 1/2 t lime juice, 1/3 C sour cream and 2 T butter to the soup. Whisk it in until the butter has melted and the sour cream is well combined.
12. Toss your chicken back into the pot, give it a stir and you are ready to eat.
Serve with tortilla chips and cheddar cheese. Cilantro and avocado are also fabulous.

Enjoy!

the last

January 9, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Now I know what I'm making for dinner. ;o)
    You are using chicken bullion cubes, I'm assuming, and not beef?

January 9, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Jennine,
    Thanks for the heads up about the bullion. Yes, chicken it is. Hope you love it!

January 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm

My goodness does this soup look so GOOD!! I will be making it very soon! Once again Jamie you have passed on a wonderful recipe…many thanks!!! :-)

Stephanie G.
    January 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Could this soup be made with green enchilada sauce instead of red?

January 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Stephanie G,
    I haven't ever tried it with the green sauce, I think it would most likely work. Let me know if you try it and how it tastes. Good luck!

January 10, 2012 at 9:52 pm

MMMM, this looks good. I'll be trying it for sure.

Have you seen the tip about shredding chicken in a Kitchen Aid? You put the chicken in the bowl and use the paddle on low. I tried it last night and it worked beautifully. So much easier and quicker than using a fork.

January 11, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Made this last night..it was great!Used green enchilada sauce because that is all I had! Garnished with chips, cheese and avacado. LOVED HOW EASY IT WAS TO PUT TOGETHER! THANKS JAMIE

January 11, 2012 at 10:26 pm

This was absolutely amazing. I was afraid my husband would not like it because of the heat from the enchilada sauce. But alas, he loved it. Thank you!

January 12, 2012 at 1:23 am

I made this last night with a few minor changes (didn't have Mexican stewed tomatoes, and only had one can of beans – next time I'll use 2), and it was amazing! Our missionary guests loved it, and so did my whole family, except for my hard to please 3 year old;) Thanks for posting!

January 16, 2012 at 4:17 pm

made this and loved loved it–so easy to throw in the pot and let it do the work for you…also more flavorful the next day..yummmmmmm..this is being added to my top 5 soups to make..thanks Jamie

January 16, 2012 at 7:21 pm

AWESOME!!!! I added a little more of this and that then recommended just because lol! This is the best recipe I have ever had! I made way too much but my husband's co workers will appreciate that tomorrow!!! Have you ever frozen this after making too much of it? :) ! I added chili powder and garlic powder, not sure if it made any difference at all but we are SO GREATFUL to have found this recipe!!!! I am going to have to follow your blog from now on!

January 16, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Jenni,
    I haven't ever frozen this particular soup, however I think it would freeze quite well. Good luck! So glad you loved it!

January 17, 2012 at 11:58 pm

I made this for dinner tonight, and it was great! Another one of your recipes addeded to our rotation. I love that it was a crockpot recipe!

January 20, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I wanted to make this for dinner tonight and bought all the ingredients last night… Except for the enchilada sauce :-(
    Any suggestions for substitutions??

January 21, 2012 at 6:59 am

Wow…luks yummy..Visit for more information on crock pot recipes

Tennille
    January 24, 2012 at 1:41 am

I made this tonight and it was delicious. The flavor is awesome! I only used one can each of the black beans and corn. A coworker told me about your blog and I love it. I made the chocolate banana bread and plan on doing the quesadillas this week!

February 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I'm trying to print this recipe.

April 26, 2012 at 4:39 pm

This was delicious, however it did turn out rather 'pink' and not the lovely red shown in your pictures, which caused several raised eyebrows. Thankfully what it lacked in presentation was more than compensated for in flavor. Thanks for the recipe!

Elyse
    September 12, 2012 at 8:19 am

What is enchilada sauce? I’ve not seen it in stores around here (Alberta). Could you suggest a substitution?
    Thanks

September 12, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Elyse– I was just checking this recipe out too, and I have a couple of ideas for you. You can sometimes find powdered enchilada sauce mix by the powdered gravy mixes. You could also use tomato sauce mixed with powdered taco seasoning. I have a similar soup recipe that I made up that uses that combination.

Jacquie
    September 18, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Hi Jamie! I really enjoyed you’re segment on CH 2!!! So here I am !! Love your site, the recipies look amazing! Can’t wait to try them!! Thanks for sharing!!

brittany
    October 10, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I made this with a homemade enchilada sauce. Just Google a recipe online. Pretty simple to make.

Chiani
    October 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Jamie -

A friend of mine made this soup and it was delish! I would like to try it for myself, however, I would like to make it vegetarian style. Is it just a yummy without the chicken? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tracy J Morrin
    October 10, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Jamie, I knew my family would love this. I was right.. My husband said it was the best recipe he’s ever tasted (he says that almost every other day) and my 13 year old LOVED it too :) I made a double batch in anticipation of freezing some for guests over the holiday. I made it exactly as written, except rather than using a crock pot, I threw it together on top of the stove, and used a fully cooked rotissiere chicken (breaking off the delicious chicken pieces to add in about 20 minutes before done). It was so tender & wonderful :) I also had some fresh cream (about 1/2 cup I wanted to use up) so I threw that in along with the milk. Thank you for an amazing, yet extremely easy recipe to make. @Chiani: I’m sure you will love this recipe even without the chicken. It was divine while tasting it, even before adding the chicken back in. Make a lot… you will want to freeze some :)

February 6, 2014 at 6:39 am

Hey Beth I hate spicy food, so no, even with the green chiles, they aren’t spicy. You could add jeaalnpos, if you want them spicy. They were really good. It’s a good thing to do with those cheap chicken breasts that I told you about. I really couldn’t believe I got an entire pan of food out of just two breasts.

Melissa Rodrigues
        February 24, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Looks super yummy. I’ll be making this very soon! Was your chicken breast frozen when you put it in the crock pot?

February 25, 2014 at 8:44 am

Melissa,
          Yep, I used frozen chicken. Best of luck to you!

Crystal
    October 26, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I made this today for the first time ever! I was hesitant and almost made the chicken and dumplins recipe. So glad I went with my instinct – it was absolutely DELICIOUS! Thank you – finally a new recipe that I tried and it was actually good and my family liked it as well!

Melinda
    December 6, 2012 at 6:32 pm

whats the easiest way to shred the chicken? ive never done that before

December 10, 2012 at 6:45 am

Hi Melinda,
      Just take the chicken out and set it on a plate. Use two forks to shred it, then place it back in the soup. Good luck! Hope you love it.

Tonya Bird
    January 2, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I love your blog and recipes. I tell all my friends about it. I seriously look here several times a week for meal ideas and recipes. I can always trust Jamie for a great home cooked meal! Thanks for your ideas, pictures and wonderful recipes. I truly love them!
    Tonya

February 8, 2014 at 2:11 am

This is one of the most delicious paleo meals for me to date. For real I ate it while it was still so hot I burnt my tguone then kept eating it. The flavors work so well together, big fan! I want this cookbook of yours STAT!

Katrina
    January 4, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Thanks for the recipe Jamie! I had some girlfriends over the other night, one of which is a vegetarian. I made this recipe but instead of cream of chicken I used cream of potato, and instead of chicken bouillon I used vegetable bouillon. I grilled up some chicken so people who wanted it could add it to their soup. They all loved it and one of my girlfriends came over the next day to help me finish the leftovers. Thanks for the recipe!

Mary
    January 5, 2013 at 10:30 am

Oh no, I used beef cubes instead of chicken! I guess I will find out the result in a few hours, hope I haven’t wasted all those ingredients.

Elina
    January 11, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Hi!
    I’ve made many of your recipes and I always love them so thank you for being an available resource for quick dinner ideas or yummy desserts! I am also making this enchilda soup and mine is turning out to be more pink in color also. After adding the chicken soup and milk it turned a whole other color. I don’t mind if the flavors are there, but I am wondering if I did something different. I followed the recipe to the T up until that point.

February 8, 2014 at 12:53 am

i made this stew with pork loin in stead of chicken last wekneed and it turned out delicious! I could have added a second pork lon since there was so much stew left and froze the rest. excellent recipe thanks!

February 13, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Just wanted to comment quickly and say that I have been meaning to try this soup since you posted it but I never seem to have enchilada sauce. Yesterday in the grocery store I thought of this soup & remembered to grab a can. Tonight’s dinner is going to be awesome! Thanks!

Meagan
    February 23, 2013 at 9:07 am

Is there a good substitute for cream of chicken soup? If there isn’t, can I leave it out? I ask because I am allergic to it.

Thanks! I LOVE your site! :)

Becky Ritchie
    March 7, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I would love to try this recipe but my hubby is allergic to milk. I was thinking about substituting the milk for soy milk, but what about the cream of chicken? What do you think will happen if I leave it out?

Love all your recipes. Thanks so much!

March 11, 2013 at 7:19 am

Becky,
      The broth would end up being a little bit thin without the cream of chicken. I know of people who have made their own cream of chicken soup. I would suggest googling a recipe. Good luck!

March 20, 2013 at 5:31 pm

LOVE this recipe (and many others!) I love your clear instructions and terrific photo’s. I shared this recipe on my blog I hope you don’t mind. Thanks for all the terrific dinner idea’s.

Julia
    October 7, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Just finished dinner and the family loved this! I had regular stewed tomatoes, not Mexican style, so I used those, and it was delicious! Definitely will be making this again!

February 8, 2014 at 3:51 am

Hi, I saw your enchilada recpiee in fb and inmediately came to your blog to see it, It looks great and economical, but I was expecting to see the true Mexican sauce…. I’m not sure of the price of the guajillo dried peppers but i dont think it would be that expensive…. I usually let the guajillos soak over nite then blend them the next day, I add cumin, s&p, oregano, garlic and onion… i dip the corn tortilla in the sauce and then i put it in a skillet with some oil…I just wanted to express my opinion…. You have wonderful receipes and i have tried many of them….specially your not fried beans… your Mexican friend :)

Nancy
    October 26, 2013 at 3:58 pm

My soup turned out a lot lighter in color than in the picture. I want to make sure recipe did call for 2 and 1/2 cups milk….right?

Amber Petit
    November 18, 2013 at 10:47 am

Just made this!! Soo good!

I couldn’t find enchilada sauce so I used tomatoe paste mixed with spicy taco seasoning… Tastes good so I guess t worked? Lol

De De
    November 21, 2013 at 8:47 pm

The only thing wrong with the soup is that my tummy cannot hold as much of it as my mouth wants to eat. PERFECT for a cold evening. DELICIOUS!

Patti
    December 5, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Trying this this weekend. It looks like you add a can of condensed cream of chicken soup right? Or do you dilute it according to the instructions and then add?

Ruth
    December 25, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I’ve made this soup 3 times now and love it. I do add 8oz of Monterey Jack or Mexican blend shredded cheese. Just wonderful and it freezes beautifully.

January 7, 2014 at 6:38 am

Why is yours so red… and mine is so…. pink?!?!?! Lol

January 7, 2014 at 7:13 am

Christina,
      I think I may have turned up the contrast a bit when I was editing the picture. :) Hope yours tasted good!

Valerie
    January 7, 2014 at 11:26 am

I used Carnation Evaporated Milk and the soup was even creamier. Really delicious!

fred
    March 29, 2014 at 11:10 am

Far out, It was a tasty treat that even my kids gobbled it up. I think I will try some more of your ideas in the near future. Thanks Fred

Jen
    July 27, 2014 at 4:37 am

Great soup, I fiddled a bit with it as I normally do, left out the milk altogether, used chicken stock instead, and added 1/2 a bottle of leftover passata lurking in the fridge and a good heaped teaspoon of smoky paprika…definitely a ” keeper recipe “