Hey there, fine looking reader.
I have a simple cake recipe for you today. Because the weekend is straight ahead and you might want a little something to indulge your self in, right? And, if you are like me…there are always three or four overly ripe bananas hanging out on your counter.
Just staring at you.
Getting more spotted and dotted with every passing hour.
Whispering things like…”Aren’t you home cook of the year or something? Get me into some banana bread or banana chocolate chip muffins or banana cookies with burned butter icing. Quick, before I get attacked by fruit flies.”
That’s what they say at your house, too?
You and I have always had a lot in common, haven’t we.
This banana cake is soft, moist and fairly light. The flavor is wonderful! The pecans add a nice crunch and the cream cheese frosting is…well. You know how good cream cheese frosting is! It’s a nice addition to the banana flavor.
Let’s make it, shall we?
Banana Pecan Cake
Time: 15 min. prep + 30-40 min. to bake + time to cool and frost
Yield: 15 servings
4 ripe bananas
1 French Vanilla Cake Mix (I used Betty Crocker)
1 1/4 C water
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 C oil
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
5 C powdered sugar
1 T milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 C chopped pecans
1. Take four spotted, dotted and very ripe bananas. Take the peel off…
toss them into a medium sized bowl and mash them with a potato masher, or fork. This job can be done by those with small hands and a willing heart.
2. Into your stand mixer, or large mixing bowl empty the contents of the French Vanilla Cake Mix.
Add 1 1/4 C water…
1 teaspoon cinnamon
and 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil. Beat the ingredients on low for 1 minute. Scrape the bottom of the bowl and beat for an additional 2 minutes on medium speed.
3. Add the mashed bananas to the bowl. Mix until combined, about 1 minute.
4. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and pour the banana batter right on in.
5. Bake the cake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, of until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out nice and clean.
6. Allow the cake to cool completely.
7. Sprinkle 1/2 cup pecans onto the top of the cake.
8. Into your stand mixer place 1 package softened cream cheese and 1/2 cup softened butter. Mix until well combined. Add 5 cups powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix until nice and smooth.
9. Spread the frosting over the cake.
10. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup pecans over the frosting. Cut, serve and enjoy!
Add a few banana slices to the top, just as you are serving…if you choose. It tastes wonderful with or without them.