Banana Pecan Cake

Banana Pecan Cake

Hey there, fine looking reader.

I have a simple cake recipe for you today. Because the weekend is straight ahead and you might want a little something to indulge your self in, right? And, if you are like me…there are always three or four overly ripe bananas hanging out on your counter.

Just staring at you.

Getting more spotted and dotted with every passing hour.

Whispering things like…”Aren’t you home cook of the year or something? Get me into some banana bread or banana chocolate chip muffins or banana cookies with burned butter icing. Quick, before I get attacked by fruit flies.”

That’s what they say at your house, too?

Knew it.

You and I have always had a lot in common, haven’t we.

This banana cake is soft, moist and fairly light. The flavor is wonderful! The pecans add a nice crunch and the cream cheese frosting is…well. You know how good cream cheese frosting is! It’s a nice addition to the banana flavor.

Let’s make it, shall we?
Banana Pecan Cake
Time: 15 min. prep + 30-40 min. to bake + time to cool and frost
Recipe slightly adapted from Real Mom Kitchen

CAKE:
4 ripe bananas
1 French Vanilla Cake Mix (I used Betty Crocker)
1 1/4 C water
3 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 C oil

FROSTING:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
5 C powdered sugar
1 T milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 C chopped pecans

1. Take four spotted, dotted and very ripe bananas. Take the peel off…

toss them into a medium sized bowl and mash them with a potato masher, or fork. This job can be done by those with small hands and a willing heart.

2. Into your stand mixer, or large mixing bowl empty the contents of the French Vanilla Cake Mix.

Add 1 1/4 C water…

3 eggs

1 teaspoon cinnamon

and 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil. Beat the ingredients on low for 1 minute. Scrape the bottom of the bowl and beat for an additional 2 minutes on medium speed.

3. Add the mashed bananas to the bowl. Mix until combined, about 1 minute.

4. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and pour the banana batter right on in.
5. Bake the cake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, of until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out nice and clean.

6. Allow the cake to cool completely.
7. Sprinkle 1/2 cup pecans onto the top of the cake.

8. Into your stand mixer place 1 package softened cream cheese and 1/2 cup softened butter. Mix until well combined. Add 5 cups powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix until nice and smooth.
9. Spread the frosting over the cake.

10. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup pecans over the frosting. Cut, serve and enjoy!

Add a few banana slices to the top, just as you are serving…if you choose. It tastes wonderful with or without them. :)

Donna
    February 24, 2012 at 11:58 am

This sounds sooo good! I'm gonna try it with one change. When I make banana bread I put chopped pecans right in the mix before baking. That's what I'm gonna do here instead of laying on top,that way you get them all the way thru! YUM!Can't wait to try this. Thanks.

February 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Isn't this cake so delish? If you liked that one you need to try this one too.

February 24, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I just wanted to tell you that I LOVE your blog. You always have the best recipes!!! You could sure make a gal gain weight! Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

February 25, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I am pinning this for sure! Looks so yummy!

Marisa
    February 28, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I made this last weekend and it was great! I like the idea to put the pecans in the mix so I will try that next time. My husband thought it was too heavy on the frosting but I love frosting so I didn't mind, neither did my kids.

February 28, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I just so happened to have 4 needing-to-be-dealt-with bananas on Sunday. I was so excited to make this for our Sunday family dinner. SO GOOD!!! I only made a 1/2 recipe for the frosting because my very health conscience sister insisted it didn't need it. She's right, it's crazy delicious without but even more so with it!! I will surely be making this again. Thanks Jamie!

Karen Merino
    March 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Hi! I love your site! I think it has revived my passion for cooking and trying new recipes. I made this preparation on two occasions and I must admit that the taste is delicious, but the texture is not as shown in the photos. The top is somewhat spongy, but the bottom is compact. Olive Garden breadsticks didnt get the desired texture neither … I always got them stale.What will I ever do wrong??
    By the way…is baking powder and yeast the same?
    Greetings from Dominican Republic

March 12, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Hi Karen,
      Baking Powder and Yeast are very different ingredients. If you have been using baking powder as a replacement for yeast in the Olive Garden Breadsticks, that is most definitely the cause of your trouble. :) As for the banana cake, the altitude where you are at (Wow, the Dominican Republic! How nice to hear from someone so far away.) may be causing the problem with the cakes texture being a bit off.
      Good luck to you, Karen.

Karen Merino
    March 15, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Thanks a lot fo your response! I made the breadsticks with yeast and almost cry when I saw them!!! The were great!! Let's see if can still get better results when baking cakes!!!
    Big fan of you,
    Karen

March 20, 2012 at 3:13 am

I'm a bit confused, the ingredient list for the frosting at the top includes 1 tsp vanilla, but in the directions, the frosting uses 1 tbsp milk instead of vanilla….

March 20, 2012 at 4:19 am

Hey there anonymous,
      Thanks for the heads up. You need 1 tablespoon of milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Sorry for any confusion. Good luck!

Laurie
    May 19, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Trying this tonight for Bunco…in the oven a I speak…hope its good

Barbara L
    August 2, 2013 at 8:41 am

Is there any need to adjust the ingredients that go with the cake mix now that the box contains less(15.25 oz)?

August 2, 2013 at 10:10 am

Barbara,
      This is a really forgiving recipe, I don’t think you need to make any adjustments. Good luck!

Barbara L
        August 2, 2013 at 11:23 am

Thanks! I’m goin’ for it!

February 8, 2014 at 3:10 am

Law is the set of enforced rules under which a stoceiy is governed. Law is one of the most basic social institutionsc3a2e282ace2809dand one of the most necessary. No stoceiy could exist if all people did just as they pleased, without regard for the rights of others. Nor could a stoceiy exist if its members did not recognize that they also have certain obligations toward one another. The law thus establishes the rules that define a person’s rights and obligations. The law also sets penalties for people, who violate these rules, and it states how government shall enforce the rules, and it states how government shall enforce the rules and penalties. However, the laws enforced by government can be changed. In fact, laws frequently are changed to reflect changes in a stoceiy’s needs and attitudes.