Butter Cream Chicken

Butter Cream Chicken

Sometimes it’s the simplest of recipes that are the best. Simple ingredients, simple execution…simply delightful to eat and enjoy. This Butter Cream Chicken fits the description here, my friends.  The chicken is lightly breaded in Ritz Crackers, pan fried (not deep fried) and topped with a heavenly butter and cream sauce. I’m going to wager that you just might have all of the ingredients on hand to make it.

Told you simple was going to be good. :)

This Butter Cream Chicken would be wonderful served with
Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic or Rice Pilaf with Almonds, or even some Angel Hair pasta. Make a batch of Glazed Carrots with Rosemary or Roasted Asparagus and you will have a well rounded meal of pleasure and bliss.
Someone should give you a kiss.
That. Is something you don’t want to miss.
I never was a poet.
And boy, do I know it.

Butter Cream Chicken
Time: 30 minutes start to finish
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up! Inspired by Bits Of Taste

4 chicken breasts
1 1/2 sleeves Ritz Cracker, ground into crumbs
Olive Oil
1 C chicken broth
4 T butter
1 C  + 2 T half and half, divided
1/2 t thyme, dried
2 T cornstarch
salt and pepper

1. Cut your chicken up into chunks with some kitchen scissors. I usually cut each breast into thirds or sometimes fourths depending on the size of the breast.

2. Place your chicken into a gallon sized ziploc bag and seal the bag. Pound the chicken flat with a meat mallet.
3. Grind the Ritz Crackers into crumbs in a small food processor. Place them in a shallow pan, I find a loaf pan to work best for this step.
4. Press each chicken piece into the crumbs, being sure to coat both sides generously.
Place each coated chicken piece on a plate. “Don’t they look lovely, June. Love the feathers.”…name that movie, anyone?
5. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Once it is good and hot, pour about 5 tablespoons Olive Oil into your pan.
6. Let your oil heat up just for 30 seconds or so, and then put the chicken carefully in the pan. Don’t crowd it now. You’ll need to cook the chicken in two batches.
7. Let the chicken cook until it’s nice and golden brown on the bottom, should take about 3-4 minutes. Turn each piece with a fork and allow it to cook on the other side. The chicken is done when it’s no longer pink inside.
8. Remove the chicken to a separate plate and cook your second batch of chicken, adding another few tablespoons of oil to the pan before you add the chicken.
9. Once you have cooked all of the chicken you’ll have some beautiful crispy treasures left in the pan.
Add 4 tablespoons of butter and 1 cup chicken broth to the pan allowing the butter to melt. Whisk the mixture around a bit, scraping the bottom of the pan to break the crispy pieces loose.
10. Add 1 cup half and half
and 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme. Whisk it around to incorporate and allow it to come to a boil.

11. Into a small bowl pour 2 tablespoons half and half and 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Stir it around until smooth.
12. Pour the cornstarch mixture into your pan and stir it with a whisk. Allow it to return to a boil…
as it heats it will thicken into a nice smooth sauce of wonder and bliss…here comes your kiss. :)
13. Remove it from the heat, give it a taste and add a bit of salt and pepper to you liking.

14. Serve it over the crispy chicken and enjoy!

February 20, 2012 at 8:00 am

Jamie!!! This looks amazing! We are your latest followers and will be adding you to our blog roll! We know our readers will love your site! Cheers, Ashleigh & Tiffani, The Drinking Girls

February 20, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Aladdin. :) and it looks like another fabulous recipe. I think we'll be having this for dinner tonight.

February 20, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Yum! Fried chicken and gravy is hard to beat.

February 20, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Oh Dear – this is making me weak in the knees. Love anything with Ritz – must try soon.

Patricia

February 20, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Aladdin! :) I love this dish. I have one similar to it- very good!

February 20, 2012 at 6:11 pm

This looks wonderful! Another must try from your site!

February 20, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Delicious! Looks like I'm going to have to invite the in-laws over for Sunday dinner next week to try another new recipe!

February 20, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Now I have Aladdin stuck in my head! Lol this looks divine, thank you for sharing. Will try soon!

February 20, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Oh man,,,,I want this super bad. What a nice homey type meal. My favorite

February 20, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I'm not a big chicken fan and I'd so eat this! Looks yummy!!! I want it now. lol

February 21, 2012 at 2:02 am

OMG…this looked so good I made it tonight for dinner! It was UNANIMOUSLY a hit among all 5! Thank you thank you Thank you!

February 21, 2012 at 7:10 am

What! That picture is beautiful (yes, of chicken):) and I want to cook it up right now! So glad I found your yummy blog. Thank you!

February 22, 2012 at 11:53 pm

I made this for dinner last night too! It got a thumbs-up from everyone!

Janette
    February 24, 2012 at 9:08 pm

“Don't they look lovely, June. Love the feathers.”… Aladdin – Prince Ali :-)

February 27, 2012 at 3:46 am

Made this tonight and LOVED it! And even though it has butter and half and half in it, I think it only came out to 7 weight watchers points per serving which is awesome! Delicious!

February 27, 2012 at 11:13 am

I just ran across this recipe while browsing Pinterest with Aladdin playing in the background! I am going to try this one out this weekend :)

March 14, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Can whole milk be used instead of half and half since that is what I have on hand?

March 15, 2012 at 4:32 am

Whole milk would work very well in this recipe.
      Good luck!

April 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm

What a wonderful recipe! This looks delicious. I'm a new follower..glad to have found you!

Jennifer
    April 10, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Found this recipe via Pinterest, just made for supper tonight with mashed potatoes and corn and it was sooooo delicious! I did add a little paprika, pepper and marjoram to the cracker crumbs. Only other thing I will do differently next time is add a little more salt to the gravy. But this recipe will definitely make it's way into the dinner rotation. Thanks for sharing!

April 11, 2012 at 5:21 pm

My family LOVED this recipe! Will definitely make it again!

April 25, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Found your blog from pinterest… We tried the Crispy Cheddar Chicken for tea tonight, and this looks like another one I'd love to try, but being in Australia, some of your ingredients are American names/brands… so what is half and half? And from another recipe I'd like to try, what is crescent pastry?
    Cheers
    Jodi :)

April 26, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Hi Jodi,
      How nice to hear from someone so far away. :) Half and Half is just a dairy product consisting of half cream and half whole milk. It's a way to lighten up the recipe instead of using all cream. Crescent Pastry is a product made by Pillsbury that is a crescent roll dough. Not sure if they have that in Australia, or what you could use as a substitute. I suppose you could make your own crescent roll dough, but I think that's pretty involved and tricky.
      Hope this helps, Jodie.
      Have a good one!

May 28, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Thanks for replying Jamie

Had a good look through our shops and couldnt find a crescent/croissant style pastry. Do you think a butter puff would work ok?

Jodi :)

Caz
        June 7, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Butter puff pastry would be fine Jodi!
        Caz
        (Also from Australia)

May 29, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Hi Jodi,
      Unfortunately, I don't know what butter puff is. However, it may be as close as you are going to get. Let me know if you try and and how it works out. Good luck!

May 26, 2012 at 5:33 am

I was just about to ask what “half and half” was and thought…. read the comments… so glad I did :) going to try this one out later this week! Thanks caz (also from Australia)

May 30, 2012 at 12:19 am

Made this tonight and it was amazing. So simple and it came together nice and quick. The family LOVED it. Said it's definitely a keeper. Thanks so much.

September 17, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Someone posted a link to this recipe in response to Bargains to Bounty’s Facebook post about favorite recipes using boneless skinless chicken breast (http://ow.ly/dMdCH). I can’t wait to try this out. It looks so good, and easy to make!

Grace
    October 7, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I made this recipe for my husband last week and we both loved it! We also love the crispy cheddar chicken and the crispy chicken with Italian sauce. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes! You rock!

December 6, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Hi Jaime! I’m blogging all about this chicken tomorrow, and I wanted to say thank you for giving my a truly nostalgic meal. You are one of my favorite food bloggers. I heart your recipes!

Natalie
    January 28, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Hey Jamie-
    I have been loyally following your blog now for the last 2 months or so and I love everything I’ve tried. However…you use a lot of Thyme and as much as I LOVE thyme…my husband is getting tired of it. Is there a good subsititute that will still give it a good flavor?

Hayley
    March 6, 2013 at 11:13 am

This was SO good last night! But, I made way too much. Any ideas on how I can rework this into another recipe? The family isn’t too keen on leftovers of any kind. I know, they can’t just go hungry right? But, I don’t want to waste this yummy chicken.

March 7, 2013 at 6:35 am

Hi Hayley,
      So glad you liked the chicken! As a leftover option you could pop it in the oven to let it reheat, then slice it into strips and put it a nice crisp green salad with croutons and ranch dressing. Good luck!

ShaNae
      September 19, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Hayley, my son doesn’t do the gravy over his chicken so it’s always on the side. I heat the chicken in the oven and then slice it and make chicken tacos. My son loves them and we put lettuce, cheese, ranch and sour cream on them. He is super picky on what he eats, but he likes both these dishes.

kristip
    September 2, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Thanks for sharing looks really good! I can’t wait to try it :)

Seriously
    October 3, 2013 at 6:48 pm

This looks kinda unhealthy actually.

Kayli
    October 13, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I work for Disney so I really can’t help myself…

*Don’t they look lovely, June?
    Fabulous, Harry! I love the feathers!”

Amanda Tucker
    January 18, 2014 at 6:51 pm

I made this earlier this week. I LOVED it! It was so so so good. In fact, I am making it again tomorrow. It is now on my “regular” meal plan.

February 8, 2014 at 5:22 am

That’s a clever answer to a tricky quiosetn

Heartberry
    March 8, 2014 at 5:30 pm

I just made this tonight for myself and my husband and I was pleasantly surprised how easy and delicious the chicken turned out. The gravy/sauce turned out better than expected too! I can picture this being a main dish at a wedding. It will please all. (minus vegetarians, of course) Note: I only used 1 sleeve of Ritz and had lots left to dump out though. Also, I kept the chicken warm in a 200 degree oven while I made the sauce.

sanjee
    May 12, 2014 at 10:25 am

thank you so much your delicious recipies.
    thank you.

May 12, 2014 at 9:34 pm

The movie was Alladin. Chicken sounds great.

sharon
    June 18, 2014 at 8:24 pm

made this for dinner tonite..my son said “this is a good dish, i’m proud of you”

great recipie…a keeper

Christina
    July 18, 2014 at 11:40 am

Can you coat and cook the chicken breast then freeze it?

Jeanne1
    July 29, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I made this recipe tonight — very good! I doubled the gravy so there would be extra & the gravy set up very nicely using corn starch. Normally I use flour for making gravy, but I think I like corn starch better now. I cooked the chicken pieces a few more minutes than the time listed so it would be crunchy on the outside. For my taste, I think the gravy needs something more in it — not sure what. Didn’t want to add anything the first time. I’ll have to experiment with it. With only the Thyme, salt & pepper, it is somewhat bland. Very nice with a steamed green veggie. You could put the chicken & gravy in a pretty dish, sprinkle with parsley, & it would make a simple but delicious homestyle presentation for a party. Thanks for the recipe.

Karen
    August 7, 2014 at 10:37 am

I need the receipe for the chicken w/Ritz. Crackers and cheddar cheese. Sauce was w/cr of chicken soup. Please email me. Thanks

michelle
    August 26, 2014 at 5:06 am

what does it mean with “Add 1 cup half and half”?

Michelle
    August 27, 2014 at 12:26 am

I’m not sure if this has been asked already, but can the chicken be baked rather than fried?

Sharon
    September 9, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Hi Jamie, just found your site recently (through Welcome Home) have been browsing your recipes. Tried this one a few days ago, delicious!! Love that your recipes are down to earth and use very common ingredients, I’m sure I will be visiting this site often. Thanks