Vanilla Cupcakes with Raspberry Filling

Vanilla Cupcakes with Raspberry Filling

If you like to make cupcakes….make these.

Make them today, and tomorrow and next week.

Enjoy the sweet moist vanilla cake, the tart raspberry filling and the smooth cream cheese frosting. They are absolutely divine. Heaven in every bite. Earth shattering bliss to be savored with each delectable taste. Trust me. I’m no liar.

But if you don’t like to make cupcakes…I get that. Truly I do. They do take a bit of work and I can understand completely if cupcake crafting is not your calling in life. However if you still want cupcakes, and you are a local reader and would like to order cupcakes, special occasion cakes or other baked goods check out Cake Adoration. The blogger there is one creative lady, who I’ve just recently had the opportunity to learn of. She can put together some amazing things for you. Check it out if you are interested in that sort of thing.

If not…make these cupcakes, my friends. They are worth every minute.

Vanilla Cupcakes with Raspberry Filling
1 1/2 C water
1/3 C oil
1 t almond extract

FROSTING:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 C butter, softened
3 T shortening (I use butter flavored Crisco)
5 1/2 C powdered sugar
4 T whipping cream
1 t vanilla
dash salt

RASPBERRY FILLING

1. Place 2 heaping cups frozen raspberries, 1 1/2 T cornstarch, 2 T lemon juice and 1/2 C sugar into a medium sized sauce pan. Stir it around with a whisk to combine.

2. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly. The raspberries will break down very quickly. Continue to stir while the mixture boils for about 2 minutes.

or until the filling becomes glossy and thick…like this.

3. Remove the pan from the heat, add 1 tablespoon butter, 1 teaspoon almond extract and a dash of salt. The filling is a bit sour if eaten plain. However, remember that we are going to pipe it into a sweet cupcake and top it with an even sweeter frosting. The sweet and tart will work nicely together.
4. Set the filling aside to cool .

CUPCAKES
1. Into your stand mixer add 1 box white cake mix, 1/3 C flour and 1 small box of vanilla pudding. Toss it around with a fork to combine.
2. Add 4 eggs, 1/3 C sour cream, 1 1/2 C water, 1/3 C oil and 1 t almond extract to the dry ingredients. Mix on low for about 1 minute. Then scrape the sides of you mixer with a rubber spatula and beat on medium speed until the batter is smooth and a bit thick. 2-3 minutes should do the trick.
3. Line your muffin tins with cupcake liners and spoon the batter into them. Now…a word to the wise here. I always tend to fill them too full. Don’t make my same mistake, ok? Fill the liners just a bit over half way full. This will give you a nice round domed cupcake. If you fill them too full like I always seem to do, you will have cupcakes with more of a mushroom shape.
4. Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Remove the pans from you oven and allow the cupcakes to rest in the pans for about 5 minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack and let them cool completely.

6. When your cupcakes (and filling) have cooled completely, place a large cake decorating tip into a pastry bag. Carefully fill the bag with the raspberry filling. This can get a little bit messy. Be sure that when you are filling the bag you turn the tip end up a bit so the filling doesn’t run out.
7. Pipe the filling into each cupcake.

FROSTING
1. Place 1 package softened cream cheese,  1/2 C softened butter and 3 tablespoons shortening into your stand mixer. Beat on medium speed until well combined and smooth.
2. Add 5 1/2 C powdered sugar, 4 tablespoons whipping cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla and a dash of salt. Mix until well combined. If the mixture is too thick, add a bit more whipping cream. If it gets too runny, add a bit more powdered sugar.
3. Fill another pastry bag with the frosting and pipe it onto each cupcake. I used tip 4B.

Might be fun to add a few sprinkle hearts or something…since Valentines Day is just around the corner. :)

Enjoy!

February 9, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Oh yum. I love raspberry filled sheet cake from Sam's Club so I need to make these! Thanks. Cute pics with the sprinkles :)

February 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm

these look delicious & your photos are gorgeous!

February 9, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Thanks Jamie! I was just trying to decide what kind of cupcakes to make for my daughter's birthday. :) You are indeed the bomb.com…

February 9, 2012 at 5:21 pm

These are so cute, and I love the raspberry filling idea. Perfect idea for valentines day.

February 9, 2012 at 5:51 pm

My daughter wants them and she wants them NOW! Hahaha.
    Guess we will be making them this weekend.
    Thanks for sharing another fantastic recipe

February 9, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Hi Jamie
    What is the texture of the cupcake ? is it dense or fluffy? i am looking for a cake made from scratch or box preferably scratch which is fluffy than dense.

February 9, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Pearse,
      This cupcake is more fluffy than dense, however the added ingredients (more than just the box mix calls for) makes them have more substance than if they were made with just the mix. Does that make sense?
      Hope you give them a try!

February 9, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Oh mylanta, these look so dang good! I am pregnant with my 3rd, and cupcakes are all I seem to be craving. I am so glad you posted this! Looks so delicious :-)

February 9, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Thanks jamie
    That is what i was looking for. Somewhere between cake mix fluffiness and pound cake denseness. I will gibe it a try. Your blog is mouthwatering. With all the step by step pictures
    Good job

February 13, 2012 at 9:44 pm

When filling the cupcakes do you need to make a hole first or do you just push the filling into the cupcake?

February 14, 2012 at 9:30 pm

No need to cut a little hole if you are using a piping bag to fill the cupcakes. If you are just trying to spoon the filling into the cupcakes, then yes…cut a little hole. Good luck!

February 14, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Thanks, they turned out great. My family and I love your website!

-Stacie

February 19, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Made these for all my Valentine's. They were a hit!!!

February 7, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Hi! Love your site and love your fondant capkuces.Sorry but this is a long one; I need some help! I made some fondant figurines (I used the recipe on your site)to put on top of my capkuces that I want to distribute during CNY. But the ants keep getting to them!!! I tried putting them on a tray, then creating a moat so that the ants can’t cross the water. It works but how do I prevent the other insects from flying on top of them?Then I tried putting the whole thing in the oven, but after a few days, the figurines got so humid that the black parts seeped into everything.Next, I just cling-wrapped the whole thing but today, the ants managed to find a way in AND the black parts are starting to seep into the other parts.How can you make the figurines ahead of time without it being attacked? I can’t put it closely together in a box cause the figurines are sticky. So, when I want to use them, I have to scrap it out, therefore I need a bit of space to do that.Sorry again for such a long comment but I really need help. CNY is coming soon and if fondant figurines are not going to work, I have to bake something else to give away.Thanks!

February 22, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Hey these look awesome, I was just wondering what tip you used to frost the cupcakes?

February 23, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Hi Katie,
    I used tip 4B. Good luck! Hope you love them.

April 11, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Hey Jamie, made these for my mom's 60th birthday party and they were a hit. So delicious!!

Cara Jones
    October 29, 2012 at 8:35 am

My daughter wants to make these “gory” for halloween by sticking candy knives (from Wilton) in the middle of the frosted cupcake and then she’s going to use a NEW toothbrush to SPLATTER BLOOD (cake decorating gel!!!) all over them. My QUESTION IS does this frosting lend itself to being spread instead of piped on? Thanks! Happy fall y’all!

October 29, 2012 at 9:01 am

Hey Cara,
      Sounds like you have a lot of fun planned. :) This frosting will spread on to the cupcakes nicely for you. Good luck!

November 22, 2012 at 10:03 am

These cupcakes look beautiful, they must be so delicious. I’m delighted with them! I’ve featured this recipes on my blog! I hope you don’t mind! If you don’t agree with that please contact me and I will remove it. All the best.

Christina
    February 2, 2013 at 11:41 am

I made these and they shrunk down and looked ugly :(
    What did I do wrong?

Audra
    February 17, 2013 at 10:21 pm

AMAZING!!! You have done it again with another GREAT recipe! Thanks for all your hard work. To the lady in the post above me I think that your cake mix was old…if not I don;t know.

Emily
    October 15, 2013 at 9:28 am

I had the same problem that Christina mentioned earlier… just checked my cake mix and it is good until 2015 so that is not the problem. I used Pillsbury instead of Duncan Hines. I’m wondering if they needed to cook longer… when I cut into one it isn’t gooey but it definitely fell/caved in and is dense almost sticky.

sarah
    February 11, 2014 at 10:53 am

Can I just use raspberry preserves for the filling?

Gina
    August 24, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I was going to make raspberry filling and my husband bought fresh raspberries other then frozen.. Could I pack the raspberries in sugar and freeze them? Would it be the same or should I just run out and grab frozen raspberries? Thanks :)

August 25, 2014 at 6:51 am

Gina,
      Fresh raspberries will work out great. Best of luck!