Chicken Gnocchi Soup

Chicken Gnocchi Soup

Last week, here in Utah the sun was out. It was really out, I tell you. My little boys and I went for a walk, we even hung out at the park. I pushed them on a swing for a while…and then they pushed me on the swing. (Give a moment of silence for the poor hinges on that swing, would ya? I’m hoping it’s still hanging out at the park in one piece!)

The weather last week was just plain lovely, is the point I’m trying to make here. Shiny and lovely.

And now, even as a write this post there are huge snow flakes coming down in droves outside my window. The wind is blowing and the sky is dark, man. Really dark. I’m pretty sure the park and I wouldn’t love each other as much today.

But then that’s March for you. Just a little sampling of all kinds of weather. Little bit of sun, little bit of snow, little bit of variety whipped up and trying to make everybody happy.

Lucky for you and I, there is nothing better on a cold and snowy day than a warm bowl of soup. This Chicken Gnocchi Soup is absolutely fabulous. Creamy, rich and flavorful. Comfort food at its best. It comes together quickly, you only need 30-40 minutes to make it all happen. Hope you give it a try!

Chicken Gnocchi Soup
DSC01548 resized

If you are wondering what in the world gnocchi is, let me shed a little bit of light on the subject. Gnocchi are Italian dumplings made from potatoes and flour. I found this handy little package of Gnocchi at Walmart, which means most of you should be able to find them pretty easily. Unless you live in Zimbabwe. I’m not sure if the local Walmart there carries Gnocchi. Just putting that little disclaimer out there.
Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Time: 30-40 minutes total
Recipe adapted from Freida Loves Bread and Allrecipes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and grated
4 stalks celery, chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2-3 T olive oil
1 Rotisserie Chicken + 1 C reserved broth from the bottom of the chicken container
7 C water
8 chicken bullion cubes
1 (16 ounce) package Potato Gnocchi
4 C half and half
1 1/2 C spinach, chopped
1 t thyme
1/8 t nutmeg
1 T sugar
1/4 C cold water
5 T cornstarch
salt and pepper
2 T butter
DSC01535 resized

1. Get your onion and garlic peeled and chopped, your carrots peeled and grated and your celery chopped.

DSC01537 resized

2. Heat a large pot up over medium high heat. Pour 2-3 tablespoons of Olive Oil into it.

DSC01538 resized

3. When the oil is hot toss your chopped veggies into the pan. Cook them over medium high heat, stirring occasionally for about 5-8 minutes or until the onions are translucent.

DSC01543 resized
4. Take the lovely rotisserie chicken out of the package and set it on a plate.

DSC01542 resized
5. Pour the broth that is left in the bottom of the chicken package into a large measuring cup. You should have about 1 cup of broth from the pan.
6. Pull the skin off of the chicken, and take the meat off of the bones. Chop it up with a sharp knife.
DSC01551 resized
7. When your veggies are done cooking pour the broth from the chicken and 7 cups of hot water into the pot. Add 8 chicken bullion cubes and give it a nice stir.
DSC01552 resized

8. Add the chopped chicken

DSC01554 resized
and bring the soup to a boil.
DSC01555 resized
9. Open up the package of Gnocchi and pour it into the pot. Let the soup come to a boil again and allow the gnocchi to cook for about 3-4 minutes. The gnocchi will be cooked  through when they float to the top of the broth. It should happen pretty fast.

DSC01556 resized

10. Chop yourself about 1 1/2 cups of spinach and toss it into the pot.
11. Pour in 4 cups of Half and Half, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 tablespoon sugar and 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir it around a bit and let it come to a boil.
12. In a small bowl combine 1/4 C cold water and 5 tablespoons of cornstarch. Mix it well and pour it into the soup pot.
13. Bring the soup to a boil, while you stir. It will thicken as the soup reaches a boil.
14. Taste it and season it to your liking with salt and pepper.
Enjoy!
DSC01588 resized

nichole
    January 16, 2013 at 8:56 am

What do u do if there isn’t a cup of broth in the bottom of the chicken container?

Trisha
      September 10, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I just make chicken broth from “Better than Bouillon” chicken base and make 8 cups worth. It works fine.

Sylvia Jaquez
    January 16, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Made this recipe for my family today! Thought,
    It was Awesome! I’ll definitely do again!!????
    Thank you so much! By the way it taste better than
    Olive Garden’s!! It must be that extra love that goes
    In to it!!! Thx. Again Sylvia

Lea Ann
      January 8, 2014 at 11:35 am

I was just going to write the same thing. I made this around Thanksgiving time and last week on New Year’s Eve we went to Olive Garden and I ordered it there with high hopes….it was good, but nearly as good as this recipe is!! Thank you Jamie, this soup is awesome and I am making it again tonight!!

Kim
    January 27, 2013 at 7:17 am

I have the same question what if there is not a cup of broth? Not even close….

January 30, 2013 at 6:54 am

Kim,
      Make yourself some chicken broth by combining 1 cup water and 1 chicken bullion cube (or 1 teaspoon of chicken bullion granuals). Then use this to make up for the missing broth from the Roasted Chicken. Good luck! Hope you enjoy the soup.

Mechelle
    February 14, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Finished making this soup about an hour ago and it is phenomenal!! So far it is a hit with my family! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe!

Lauran
      March 6, 2014 at 7:38 am

So the only reason why I go to olive garden is for the soup. Found this recipe last night and made it. It was wonderful made homemade rolls to go with it. My children loved.

Brittany M
    February 15, 2013 at 12:40 pm

do you think it would be impossible to freeze this?? its got so much dairy in it.. but it makes so much, and we LOVE it.. but with just two of us this litterally lasts an entire week.

June 21, 2013 at 11:25 am

The squash is in place of some of the poetaots about half poetaots, half squash. Delicious blasphemy, if you ask me I have to admit, I saw one of those gnocchi boards somewhere the other day, and the first thing that crossed my mind was, There’s one of those silly single-use products. Why do I need a special board taking up space in my kitchen JUST for gnocchi? I guess if you really make a lot of gnocchi . . . . Anyway, I can’t really argue with thrift store finds

Colleen
        September 6, 2013 at 6:32 am

Uhh…yeah. Sure.

Trisha
      September 10, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I haven’t froze it yet, I love it so much I’ll eat it every single meal for several days until its gone, but I’m sure it’d freeze fine.

March 2, 2014 at 5:25 am

Life assurance policy. Life assurance policy, as QuotesChimp unquestionably understand, pays cash, occasionally large bundle, when anyone whose lifestyle was covered &number3 4;kicks the pail,&number3 4; &number3 4;attacks the dirt,&number3 4; &number3 4;satisfies his Creator,&number3 4; or whatever euphemism you would rather utilize to characterize the natural means of perishing. Some kinds of life assurance policy additionally become an investment chance as rates are compensated, worth that may be lent against or banked in through the entire life of the covered by accumulating worth. As you can find several several types of life assurance policy (duration, lifetime, mortgage, etc.), many individuals look at the topic beyond understanding. But consider center, Portion 5 should wash these doldrums apart.

Karen
    March 9, 2013 at 3:38 pm

OMG…absolutely fabulous!!!! Definitely a keeper!!! Yummm!!

Lindsey
    March 24, 2013 at 9:50 pm

This is an amazing recipe! I am a terrible cook and this soup turned out to be amazing. my boyfriend could actually eat something I made for once haha. I didn’t have enough broth from the rotiserrie chicken but the bullion cube and water method worked perfectly. Tons of leftovers, I’ll definitely be making this again, thank you for this post!

May 23, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I am making this recipe for the second time, my husband and I love it! Very simple to make and leaves tons of leftovers for the two of us!

Aaren
    May 23, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe, I made it tonight for dinner. This is my husbands favorite soup at Olive Garden and he told me that this was Better!!

heidi
    August 6, 2013 at 11:49 am

Love this recipe….it is the best!! Can it be frozen? I made a batch today in hopes it can be. Thanks!

Trisha
      September 10, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I haven’t froze it, but I’m sure it can be. I usually just eat it for every single meal until it’s gone, it’s so yummy!

heidi
      November 22, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I did end up freezing it and everything but the gnocci was perfect. The gnocci was pasty like. I would make a batch without the gnocci, freeze it then add gnocci when heating it up since it doesnt take long to cook. This is my favorite recip!! Love this website/blog so much!!

Pat Busch
    August 13, 2013 at 5:54 pm

This is an excellent soup! I made it tonight and we think it’s better than Olive Garden’s! Thank you!!

Bonnie Chew
    August 27, 2013 at 11:50 am

Thanks for posting this recipe, I make it all the time. I cheat, we eat most of the chicken breast for dinner and use what’s left to make the soup. I also varied the ingredients, sometimes I use a 1/2 or a whole box of frozen spinach, sometimes I use a carton of chicken broth, sometimes I use left over turkey, sometimes I use 1/2 heavy cream and 1/2 milk, I always use less thyme. I’ve discovered that you can substitute these other ingredients and the soup always come out great.

August 28, 2013 at 10:05 am

Bonnie,
      Thanks for these great tips!

September 6, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I don’t know about Zimbabwe but I just found that brand of gnocchi right here in Bangalore, India :-) will try it out tomorrow!

Milla S
    September 9, 2013 at 12:38 am

I made this for dinner today and It was so delicious my husband loved it so much he said it had such good flavors and that its the best soup he has ever had and I agree!!

Trisha
    September 10, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe! I found it through pinterest. I’ve made it a ton of times and most recently tonight. I use 2 cups half and half and 2 cups milk so it’s not quite as rich. I also use 2 packs Trader Joe’s sweet potato gnocchi with butter and sage. I think it’s better than Olive Garden. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe :)

Nancy R
    November 2, 2013 at 2:34 pm

It’s raining in Michigan today for the Michigan vs. Michigan State game (GO BLUE!!). Made this for game time and it was very good! The only thing I will do different is cut back a little on the thyme, it was a little over powering for us. Love when a recipe goes together and looks exactly like the one posted. Thanks for sharing!!

Jane J
    November 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I made this today. Seemed perfect for a chilly day! My twists: frozen chopped onion, frozen sliced carrots, 2, 10 oz cans of chicken, and a box of frozen chopped spinach. I cut the liquids in half (broth and half and half), and used the 16 oz of gnocchi. did not half the spices. Came out great! I’m trying to think of ways to incorporate more shelf stable foods when possible. Thanks for the recipe!

Debra
    November 8, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Another hit. Great flavor, makes a huge amount! Used Kale as it was what I had on hand. Put it in before the gnocchi to give it a little more time to cook.

Amy
    December 5, 2013 at 7:02 am

This my son’s favorite soup at the Olive Garden and I’ve been trying to find a recipe for it. I can’t wait to try it. Your recipes are the best!!!

Lea Ann
      January 8, 2014 at 11:37 am

This is better than Olive Garden.

February 8, 2014 at 4:52 am

I hope you like it! It’s not as hard as I thought it would be, but it does take a ltltie time. Worth it, thought. I’m happy to provide reason for procrastination. It is one of my many gifts Thank you for asking about the storm! We weathered it pretty well. Some damage to a wall under a leaky window, but just cosmetic, I think. We never lost power, either, which was such a blessing!Were you in the path of Sandy?

Jackie
    December 20, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I’ve made this several times and every single time I’ve made it, it has been a hit. My mother-in-law even asked for the recipe. I’ve tasted the Olive Garden’s version and I actually think this one is better.

I don’t use rotisserie chicken (too messy and too expensive), so I just use an extra cup of water and an extra chicken bouillon cube with regular, skinless, boneless chicken breasts either baked or fried without seasoning.

Another way to cut corners is to use frozen spinach…you can’t even tell the difference.

Finally, this recipe makes so much that I usually eat half and freeze the rest. It freezes and defrosts just fine. Don’t worry about the half and half or gnocchi. Sometimes the pasta gets soggy, but it tastes just as good!

Great recipe. Thanks for sharing!

February 3, 2014 at 7:37 am

I made this recently. I had never had gnocchi and I, truthfully, wasn’t a fan. I did, however, find the soup quite delicious! I did leave out the nutmeg but it was still so flavorful and creamy. And I used chicken breasts sauteed in olive oil and seasoned with lots of salt, pepper, and a bit of garlic powder.

Sara
    March 6, 2014 at 7:41 pm

I love this soup! My boss made it for dinner, and I had it leftover later in the week… to die for! Yum! I am probably going to tweak it a little, but overall it was delish. I’m going to omit the carrots, and cook up 4 ounces of bacon, save the fat, and use it to cook the veggies. Then I’ll garnish it with the bacon to serve.

Erika
    April 18, 2014 at 10:31 am

I’m not much of a soup person but oh my goodness, I LOVE this soup! Thank you for a great recipe!