Creamy Chipotle Black Bean Chicken

Creamy Chipotle Black Bean Chicken

Well, hey there good lookin’.

Good morning, good afternoon, or good evening. Which ever it may be. Thanks for taking time out of your day to join me and this saucy, creamy, smokey, flavorful, hearty chicken filling of wonder.

Kids like it. Dads like it. Moms like it. Your dog may like it. (If I had one I would have given he or she a taste test, my apologies for insufficient data.) Your Grandma may like it (it’s not overly spicy, ok?) I bet your neighbor would like it, or your mailman, or the gal in the apartment next door.

It’s a good one, my friends. Hope you make some today.

Here’s a little shot of two ingredients used in this recipe that you may not have on hand. Let me give you a little tip. Get them on hand. You won’t be sorry. They are both fairly new seasonings to me and I can’t seem to get enough of either of them. Sometimes I go to my cupboard and just take a big sniff of the Smoked Paprika. How can a little red powder smell so good! Seriously, I am that weird. Try not to hold it against me, okay?
The Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce are also wonderful and pack a lot of flavor. You won’t ever need the whole can for a single recipe. So as not to waste, open up the can and then blend it up. (The contents of the can, not the can.) Then place the blended Chipotles into a small freezer safe ziploc bag. Label it, and pop it into your freezer. You’ll have it handy to break a piece off and pop it into a recipe or two.
Ok then, let’s cook the chicken shall we?
 Creamy Chipotle Southwest Black Bean Chicken
Time: 40 minutes
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

2 chicken breasts
3 C chicken broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can Mexican stewed tomatoes, diced or whole
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (15 ounce) can corn
1 (4 ounce) can green chillis
1 (8 ounce) cream cheese
1/2 t smoked paprika
1/2 t chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, blended
flour tortillas, or corn chips

1. Place two chicken breasts (you can use frozen) into a large skillet. Pour a can of Mexican Stewed tomatoes over the chicken.

If you are using whole tomatoes, take some scissors and cut the tomatoes into small pieces.

2. Pour 3 cups of chicken broth into the pan. Over high heat, bring the ingredients to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat to  medium high and cover the pan with the lid at an angle to so that some of the steam can escape. Let the old girl cook until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. Should take about 15-20 minutes depending on how thick the chicken is.

3. Remove the chicken to a plate and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Keep the juices in the pan cooking at a simmer.

4. Chop the chicken into small chunks with a sharp knife.

5. Carefully place the chicken back into the brothy skillet.

6. Rinse and drain one can black beans, one can corn and one single can of green chilis. Add them to the skillet.

7. Add one package of cream cheese

1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika

and 1/2 teaspoon of chopotle peppers and adobo sauce.
8. Give it all a nice stir so the cream cheese can melt and all ingredients can get incorporate.

9. Let it continue to simmer over medium high heat for about 10 minutes to allow the ingredients to heat through and the sauce to thicken up just a bit. Give it a good stir occasionally.

10. Place a nice helping of the chicken filling into the center of a large flour tortilla and fold up the sides.

Roll the other sides of the tortilla up

and vwalla. A quick dinner of wonder at your finger tips.

Or, pour some into a small bowl

and dunk some tortilla chips into it as a tasty dip. Either way, it’s good as gold my friends. Hope you enjoy it!

March 5, 2012 at 1:32 pm

These look divine! I'd love for you to share them at Mix it up Monday:

I hope to see you soon :)

March 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm

This sounds SO good! It's going on my “to make” list immediately! I have yet to make one of your recipes that my family doesn't absolutely love and I'm sure this will be another winner. Thanks for giving me so many great things to do with chicken. I get burnt out on the same old same old and we eat A LOT of chicken around here.

Marisa
    March 5, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Do you think I could crock pot this and add the cream cheese at the end?

March 6, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Hi Marisa,
      Yes, the crock pot would work well for this recipe. Place all the ingredients, but the cream cheese in, cook on high for 4 hours then add your cream cheese give it a nice stir until it melts and is well incorporated and then cook for another 30 minutes or until it's all heated through. Good luck! Hope you love it.

May 11, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I would assume it would be okay on low for 6-8 hours?

March 5, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Can't wait to make this one . . . and I do happen to have both those ingredients on hand – thanks to trying out other new recipes. They really do make a difference in the recipe.

March 5, 2012 at 8:47 pm

mmmm can ya go wrong with adding chipotle peppers?? so delish – I'm drooling on my keyboard! ewww that would be gross xo

March 5, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Yum! This would go great with my homemade chipotle flour tortillas! You are right, blend up the entire can of chipotle and freeze it; that's the way to go!

Audra
    March 6, 2012 at 9:07 pm

We had this for dinner last night and it was AMAZING!!! Another GREAT recipe Jamie! Thanks again!

March 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I made this last night and even my picky 9 year old ate it! I didn't tell him about the tomatoes (told him it was part of the spices) and he ate them :) Thanks for sharing!

February 7, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Brcnilalie for free; your parents must be a sweetheart and a certified genius.

March 8, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Jamie you are AMAZING! I Love the recipes on here! Some of them have become our family's favorites. I think you and i must have the same taste in foods ;) I can't wait to try this one too. – Jamie Hodgkin

March 13, 2012 at 12:53 am

We made this for dinner tonight!! I have little kiddos 5,4, and 1. I was surprised the kick it had to it but my kids still ate it. I only added 2 cups of chicken broth and it was plenty soupy for us. I almost would do less but it was SERIOUSLY so yummy I couldn't stop eating this dish!! I LOVE your recipes Jamie! Thanks so much :)

March 13, 2012 at 4:34 am

Hi Jamie–I really want to try this recipe but I'm having a hard time finding the smoked paprika. I've looked in all the large local supermarkets around here (I'm in Northern CA). Did you find it in your supermarket or a specialty store? If in the supermarket, would I find it with the spices or in the aisle with the Mexican foods?
    Thanks so much. Love all your recipes!

March 13, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Hi Anonymous,
      I bought my smoked paprika at Costco. I have seen it at regular grocery store chains with the other McKormick seasonings. Sorry you have been having trouble finding it! I know that can be so frustrating. Good luck!

March 13, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Thanks for the great tip about the chiles. I have bought these before and they ended up spoiling in the fridge because the can holds so many chiles. Last time I bought them I did freeze the individual chiles to use but blending them up first makes them so much easier to put in recipes.

March 16, 2012 at 12:18 am

I have this on the stove right now – can't wait to taste it! I've had a difficult time finding Smoked Paprika as well – finally located it at Cost Plus World Market.

March 20, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Hi Jamie! Thanks for this recipe – made it last night and it was great! Just kind of wondering – is 3 C of chicken broth correct? Once I had added the cream cheese and let mine cook for 10 minutes it was super thin – like a brothy soup. I ended up cooking it an additional hour and a half uncovered to let the extra water evaporate out so that it would be thick enough for a tortilla or to use as a dip. Maybe it is because I'm at sea level and you are up in the mountains? Anyway – even though it took quite a bit longer to cook than I planned, it was still yummy. :)

March 23, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Hi Julie,
      I'm so glad you enjoyed the taste of the recipe. Next time try cooking it without the lid on for the entire time. Hopefully if will give you a shorter cooking time and help the broth to reduce quicker. Good luck!

March 24, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Just want you to know I made this recipe yesterday and loved it. I wanted to know what else you use the peppers in adobo sauce for. I loved the smell of it. I also had the same problem with it being too think, but it tasted delicious. I can't wait to try out more of your recipes!!

April 8, 2012 at 12:44 am

Next time i make this i will just use salsa as the base and skip the tomatoes and broth….just like the others was too thin for my taste…otherwise pretty good

April 8, 2012 at 1:52 am

SOLUTION: 2 birds one stone…I used a slotted spoon and drained the liquid from the burrito mixture left quite a bit of liquid with chicken chunks etc…so i froze that for creamy enchilada soup for another time! Yayyyy two meals outta one :)

April 8, 2012 at 5:12 am

I eagerly made this recipe last week. It “forced” me to buy ingredients that I always want to but just never seem to buy (smoked paprika, chipotle peppers, black beans.) I, too, found that the end result as made per the recipe was too “soupy” to use as a filling for tortillas and a little drippy as a dip. Glad to see that it wasn't “just me.” Serendipitously, I found that what makes for a creamy yet overly soupy tortilla filling makes for a creamy and PERFECTLY soupy… SOUP! So I switched gear(s), ladled up a bowlful, sprinkled a crunched-up handful of tortilla chips on top, and dove in. Next time I make it, and there WILL be a next time, I will use less chicken broth and/or cook it without the lid… or maybe I'll just make soup again.

April 11, 2012 at 6:10 am

Just discovered your website tonight! (insomnia :( sucks) I will be BOOKMARKING this site! Any chance to sub lowfat sour cream? Trying to keep it on the light side…

April 11, 2012 at 7:33 pm

OMG- I've got to make this one this week. Great Job!!

February 7, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Liz, you are too cute. Why don’t you vlog more?? The Chicago Dog is adorbs and I do have to say I’m tifierred of the impending kids parties I’ll be dealing with for years to come.

April 17, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and it turned out soupy too. I am letting it simmer a bit more, in hopes that it will thicken up.

April 19, 2012 at 11:57 pm

It's definitely too soupy. Wish I would have read the comments before I made it. I think 1 cup of broth to start with would be much better.

Aubrey
    May 10, 2012 at 8:18 pm

YUM! I just found your blog and will be making these soon! I didn't see this in the comments so I'm wondering if this would be a good freezable meal? I'd make the filling and fill a tortilla and freeze them individually. I'm trying to find quick, yummy lunch ideas and wonder if this would work!

May 11, 2012 at 12:40 am

Hi Aubrey,
      This will freeze very well, especially if you roll it into tortillas first. Good luck! Hope you love it.

Kristen
    September 8, 2012 at 4:56 pm

This was a hit at my house tonight! My husband likes his food spicy, so I added some cayenne pepper and doubled the chipotle mixture. The flavor was bold and rich. It was quick and easy to make, which is perfect for our busy household. I will definitely be making this one again!

Jessica
    September 13, 2012 at 8:56 am

I don’t think that I ever commented on this recipe but we love it and I make it all of the time! Just had it for dinner last night actually. I usually make it in the crockpot–we love it in tortillas or with chips. So good!

Rebecca Richards
    January 8, 2013 at 1:52 pm

What’s the difference between smoked paprika and regular paprika?

January 9, 2013 at 6:43 am

Rebecca,
      Smoked Paprika has this amazing smokey fragrance. It’s fabulous, fabulous, fabulous.

Brandy
    March 15, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Hi Jamie! I really enjoy your website, I like how the recipes are family-friendly! Weare busy with a family of nine, so it helps when a recipe is easy, wholesome, and tastey. I’ve got a question about using the frozen chicken in your recipes: do they need thawed or can I just put them in frozen and if I put them in frozen do I need to adjust how much liquid a recipe calls for?

Brandy
    March 15, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Hi Jamie! Will I need to adjust the amount of liquid added to a recipe if I use the chicken frozen as compared to if its thawed out?

Anna
    March 22, 2013 at 10:04 am

Brandy – I’d imagine you just need to increase your cooking time or thaw out your chicken ahead of time.

I came across this recipe again on my Pinterest when I was looking for ideas for the chipotle peppers in adobo I have left from making chili last night. I’m going to try it but reduce the broth like others have mentioned!

Suzy
    April 24, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Thanks for posting this recipe! Looks great

josie
    June 20, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Gah! I made this without reading the comments first, and I to have the soup-like mixture as a finished product. I’m going to let it cook a little longer and see what comes of it. Smells nice though…

Zoe
    August 4, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I just made this without reading the comments as well, it was soupy like everyone said. I let it simmer about 30 minutes to cook it down, and although it was still a bit runny I let it cool and it thickened up as it cooled down! great flavor! I used pinto beans instead of black beans since thats all I had on hand and it was great! We’re a family of two, so I froze a good amount for a future easy meal.

Slyb
    August 21, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I think this would be great placed over a bunch of salad greens, for a change of the chicken fajita salad I normally make. Just one more way to get veggies in our diet.

Melissa
    August 30, 2013 at 6:46 am

This was delish! I tried to go low-fat and got the low fat cream cheese, and it turned out very soupy. Oh well, sometimes unhealthier is better. :) So tonight, we’re going to pour the leftovers over chips and have nachos. :)

Beckie
    December 30, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Nutrition info?

January 7, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Followed directions precisely and came out very soupy. Next time I will use 1 cup of chicken broth. Very tasty though, will make again!

Angie
    January 27, 2014 at 4:58 pm

I made this tonight. I used 1 1/2 cup of broth and a tiny extra peppers in adobo sauce. My kids and husband liked it and I had a little left over for lunch tomorrow. I gave them the option of chips or tortilla.

Karen
    January 29, 2014 at 12:10 pm

This was wonderful and so easy. I did use half of the broth and it turned out great. I will definately make this again. And thanks for introducing me to Smoked Paprika!

Katie
    February 17, 2014 at 4:43 pm

This was so delicious! I was unable to find smoked paprika at our local grocery store (I live in a very small, rural community), but I doubled the chipotle to make up for it. I’m hoping to get smoked paprika on my next trip to a “real” grocery store so I can make this again and again and again and again and again. Like, every day. Looking forward to trying more of your recipes!

Holly K
    June 11, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Like Katie, I used regular paprika, but I used WAY more chipotle (we like things spicy and smokey here). My husband is still talking about this dish. :) It was quite a hit! I think it needs some sort of side to balance out the richness, but I’m not sure what yet (we just ate it with tortillas). Rice or veggies or something. Thoughts? Regardless, thanks for the awesome recipe! Can’t wait to share it. :)

Melissa
    August 17, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Just made this today in the crock pot and it was yummy. I did not put in the chicken broth and it was still very soupy. So I dipped out the soup part and will freeze for a later day to make homemade soup with. Everyone loved this!