Chicken Noodle Soup

Last weekend my dear Grandma Barbara passed away. She was one of those ladies a girl feels lucky to have in her life. Not because she was a brilliant scientist, won the Nobel Peace Prize, or invented electricity…or anything like that. :)
But because she was so wonderful to visit with, and chat with and tell stories to. She cared about every single part of my life. She could whip up the best made to order eggs and bacon breakfast this side of the Rocky Mountains. And, her homemade Raspberry Jam could make you down right weak in the knees, people. I’ve never tasted any better. I think she put Something Magical in it. Seriously.

She loved hugging my babies and hearing the details of their lives. She liked to tell us stories about growing up on a farm in the 1930s and 40s. Can you imagine how much things have changed during her lifetime!

Several months ago she and I were talking about Chicken Soup. She told me I would never believe how wonderful chicken soup tastes when made with a chicken fresh from the farm.

“Wow!” I said. “I just make mine with frozen chicken breasts.”

“Oh, no honey. Use a whole chicken. It’s the only way to make chicken soup. You’ll be able to tell a big difference.”

And so, last weekend while I was remembering all of the things I loved about her and thinking of how much I’ll miss her and counting my lucky stars that she was my Gram…

I made the soup.

And she was right.

It’s down right amazing when you use a whole chicken.

Chicken Noodle Soup
Time: 1 1/2 hours
Recipe adapted from My Dear Grandma Barbara
1 (5 pound) chicken
1 1/2 C celery
1 C chopped onion
1/2 t celery seed
1 t thyme, dried
1/2 t poultry seasoning
1/2 t rubbed sage
2 bay leaves
10 t bullion granules or 10 bullion cubes
water (about 20 cups or enough to cover the bird)
salt and pepper
1 (16 ounce) package Grandmas Frozen Noodles
2 C carrots, chopped

1. Get your self a nice bird, about 5 pounds in weight. Unwrap it over a large cookie sheet so the juices don’t run all over your counter.

2. Put the chicken in a large pot and add 1 1/2 cups chopped celery,

1 cup chopped onion,

1/2 teaspoon celery seed, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1/2 t rubbed sage, 2 bay leaves and 10 teaspoons bullion granules (or 10 bullion cubes).

3. Pour enough water into the pot so that the chicken is covered up, or almost cover up. Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat to a strong simmer and let the chicken cook for about an hour. Turn the chicken over about half way through the cooking time.

4. When the chicken has been cooked through and is no longer pink in the center remove it to a pan and let it cool for several minutes. Then remove the skin from the chicken and gently the pull the meat from the bones.

Grandma’s Egg Noodles can be found in most large grocery stores. They are most often kept in the freezer section with the frozen dough.

5. Fill a large pot full of water and bring it to a boil.
6. Poke a few holes in the Egg Noodle package with a fork. Pop the package into the microwave and heat it for 1 minute.
7. Drop the noodles into the boiling water and allow them to cook through. Should only take about 10 minutes. Drain the noodles and set them aside. I often cook the noodles right in soup pot along with the broth. However, be warned that the broth will thicken up a bit and the noodles will get a bit gummy.

8. Add 2 cups chopped carrots

and the shredded chicken to the soup pot.

9. Bring the soup back up to a boil and let the carrots cook until fork tender. Should take about 10 minutes.

10. Add the cooked noodles to the soup and then, my friends. Taste it. Adjust the salt and pepper to your liking. You can even add more bullion if it is lacking in flavor at all. If it tastes a little bit strong, add a touch more water.

Serve and enjoy!

Donna
    April 9, 2012 at 8:08 am

Jamie,So sorry on the loss of your Gram! I know she will be missed greatly by all in your family. Grandmothers are really special ladies.I will be making her soup for sure. It's made a little different than mine and it sounds better. I will think of you(and her) when I make it.

April 9, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Sorry to hear about Gram. There is nothing more comforting and loving than a pot of homemade chicken soup. Whoever said it was good for the soul wasn't kidding.

April 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Jamie, I'm sorry you have lost your Gram. It sounds like she was an amazing woman and will be very missed. Her soup recipe sounds amazing and I will be trying it very soon. She left you many memories and the gift of her recipes, rejoice in those. Love your blog, and follow it faithfully.
    Catherine

April 9, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Im so sorry to hear of your loss. Grandmothers are so special!
    My Grandmother passed away almost 2 years ago, I miss her very much..

Your Gram's chicken soup recipe sounds so good! thank you so much for sharing!

Cheryl
    April 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma. Your Grandma's soup reminds me of my Grandma. The recipe is just like hers. Thank you for bringing back wonderful memories of her.

April 9, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Sorry about your grandmother's death, Jamie. My own mother died on November 13, 2011 at 92 years old. This is a year of “firsts” without her. First Thanksgiving, first Christmas and now first Easter. I am missing her very much. The chicken soup looks delicious, and I will be making it. I love the frozen noodles in chicken soup. A little hint: if you do not want to do a whole chicken, than add some chicken thighs to your chicken breasts. The dark meat has a lot more flavor than the white. This is what I do when I am cooking up a batch of bones from making boneless chicken breasts. May all you memories of you grandmother be happy one.

Melissa
    April 9, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Faithful blog follower here.

Your story about your grandma brought tears to my eyes. I'm very close to mine, and when I lose her, I'm going to miss her talking about when she was growing and her chicken and dumplings (not the same thing, but close).

The recipe sounds delish.

Patty Keyes
    April 10, 2012 at 12:21 am

Jamie,

I'm sure you're much younger than I but I lost my Mother a few months ago and she reminds me of your Grama so much. She taught me how to cook and cooks very similar to you. I only know how to make chicken soup from a whole chicken. :) So sorry to hear about her passing. It sounds like you and your kids have some wonderful memories and I'm sure everytime you make chicken soup you will feel her standing next to you…smiling! I wish you strength… and your Grama peace in the heavens (she's prolly making a pie for God right now… God Bless…

April 10, 2012 at 2:05 am

So sorry to hear about you loss, hope you are doing well girl!

April 10, 2012 at 4:13 am

Jamie, You are blessed to those sweet memories of your gram…. love the sound of this soup!

April 10, 2012 at 7:47 am

That's so wonderful that you were able to have your grandmother with you so long, what a blessing!

Doreen
    December 12, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I made this tonight for my kids. FABULOUS! And bonus, my house smells so great. Thanks for sharing your recipes.

Mel
    March 7, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I made this last week using chicken breast/ribs (bone-in) and it was delicious! It really hit the spot for the wintry weather and cold season we’re in. Thanks for sharing your grandmother’s recipe and your sweet memories!

Carli
    December 20, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I tried your recipe a while back and it blew me away!!! It was sooo delicious- exactly how I envision the perfect chicken noodle. Anyway, I book marked your page. Since then, my hard drive crashed ????????????. I don’t know how but I found it again. And I’m SO excited to make it for my family’s Christmas party. Thank you for the recipe and sorry about your grandma. I’m sure you miss her, even now. (My grandma is my best friend. I had a baby and named my little girl after her. I can’t imagine losing her.) sorry for the novel but wanted you to know how grateful I am for your sharing this recipe ????????????

Carli
    December 20, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Ps sorry for the question marks. They were supposed to be emojis