Fluffy Strawberry Salad

Fluffy Strawberry Salad

Today, I’m as pleased as a great big bowl of pretty pink punch to be participating in a virtual baby shower for Melanie from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. Several food bloggers and I will be sharing a recipe today that would be perfect to serve at a pink baby shower. We wanted to honor Melanie, her soon to be arriving daughter…and her wonderful blog. And it really is wonderful, I’m not going to lie. Her blog has a nice clean look, with beautiful pictures, great commentary and scrumptious recipes. It’s always a pleasure to visit her site.

If you feel like blog hopping a bit today, I hope you’ll pay a visit to Melanie and the other fine gals participating in the shower with me. They are Your Home Based Mom, Real Mom Kitchen, Deals To Meals and The Sisters Cafe

Now, let’s talk Fluffy Strawberry Salad, shall we? This recipe is always a hit this time of year as strawberries are so easily accessible. It makes a great side dish for a baby or wedding shower because it comes together quickly, feeds a crowd and is so light and pretty. However, light and pretty are not its only features. I have seen many a male family member scarf this pretty number up on any given occasion. It’s great to take to a  BBQ, Day At The Park, Come And Hike In The Mountains, Splash In A River, Eat Out In The Open or Church Potluck Of Wonder. It’s versatile, is what I’m trying to say here.

This salad can also be made into a Fluffy Orange Salad by trading the strawberry jello for orange jello, omitting the fresh strawberries and adding mandarin oranges. Versatile as can be, isn’t it?

Fluffy Strawberry Salad
Time: 15 min. hands on + 1 hour chilling time
Yield: 15 generous servings
Recipe from my sister in law Ember Storrs
1 (6 ounce) box strawberry or raspberry jello
1 C boiling water
1 C crushed ice (or 1 C cold water)
1 (5.1 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
4 C mini marshmallows
1 (12 ounce) container cool whip, thawed
1 (16 ounce) container strawberries

1. Get yourself a large  package of strawberry or raspberry jello and pour the contents of the box into a medium sized bowl.

2. Heat one cup of water up in the microwave until it boils. Should take about 2 minutes. Pour it over the top of the jello.

3. Stir it well, until all of the little jello granules have dissolved.

4. Pour 1 cup crushed ice into the bowl. If you don’t have crushed ice easily accessible (like in the door to your fridge) then just use 1 C cold water. It will just take a little bit longer to set up.

Stir the ice (or cold water) around until the ice has melted. Pop the bowl into the fridge for about 10 minutes

or until the jello is slightly set up. It should be as thick as pudding, but will still work well if the jello is totally set up.

5. While the jello is setting up pour one can crushed pineapple and it’s juices into a large mixing bowl. Pour 1 large box of vanilla pudding over the top of the pineapple and stir to combine.

6. Add 4 cups mini marshmallows,

and one 12 ounce container of thawed cool whip.

Stir it all together with a wooden spoon.
7. Pop a spoon into your pretty red jello and stir it all up. Pour it into the cool whip/marshmallow mixture and stir it in to combine.

8. Wash your strawberries, cut off the green tops and slice the berries. Add them to the big mixing bowl and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.  You can make this recipe up to 24 hours in advance.

Serve and enjoy!

April 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm

That salad looks delicious Jamie!! You always do such a great job ;)

Hope you are feeling better! Angela was telling me how awful your surgery and recovery is. I am sorry!! Feel better soon ;)

April 24, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Yum! This looks great!

Danielle D.
    April 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm

yum! I will be making this soon!

April 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm

My mom used to make this when she needed a little bit of leftover jello to go a long way (we had a big family!). She'll love that you make it on purpose. It was always one of my favorite things. It works well with canned fruit coctail, also.

April 24, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I just love the way you clearly go step by step with the recipes and showing each ingredient as it is used…takes away doubt in preparation. I really look forward to getting my Jamie Cooks It Up emails!

April 24, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Jamie – thanks for the post honoring our baby! How sweet – I am so flattered you would take the time to put together a pink recipe and I'm not going to lie, I wish I had some of that fluffy strawberry salad sitting right in front of me right now. Thank you, thank you!

April 24, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Looks delicious! I'll have to remember this for summer time, will be perfect for any potlucks we attend!

April 24, 2012 at 9:17 pm

We love jello at our house!! This looks so pretty and delicious. Can't wait to give it a try.

April 24, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Hi, just found your blog and I must say, not only does every thing look delicious, it is stunning. I think I may have gained ten pounds just looking through some of your scrumptious recipes. Your newest follower, Connie :)

Cassandra
    April 25, 2012 at 5:52 pm

OK….. The Fluffy Strawberry stuff looks good, but I love those little flowered bowls! I'll admit that I have an obsession with little bowls, ramekins and the like, so I have to ask where you got them. But it will only help to know if they are a recent find, because it won't do me any good to know where they came from if you've had them for years. LOL!!! Thanks!

April 25, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Hey Cassandra,
      I did actually buy them this year, but I think they may have been and Easter item. Not sure if you live in my area, (I'm in Herriman, Utah) but I purchased them at Smiths Grocery Store. Good luck! Hope you can still find them.

Cassandra
      April 26, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Hi Jamie!

I live in southern California. We had a Smith's near us many years ago, but it's been gone for several years. I really liked that store too. Oh well…… I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks for the reply.

Cassandra

April 26, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I wonder if you might know of a substitute for the canned pineapple? I've wanted to try this salad so many times at parties, showers, potlucks, etc…but I'm allergic to pineapple so I never have.

April 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Anonymous,
      I think you would be fine to omit the pineapple all together. In fact, I think my sister makes it that way and it's still really, really good. If you are worried about it serving less people without the pineapple, just take about 1 C of strawberries and mash them with a fork or potato masher. Use this to replace the the pineapple. Good luck! Hope it turns out well for you.

April 26, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Sounds great – thank you! I always thought that was an essential ingredient. Good to know it isn't. :)

February 8, 2014 at 8:27 am

oh my goodness, Cole is a hsmadone boy! He is going to have the girls trailing after him with their hearts throbbing when he gets older! Love the layered jello, very pretty dessert! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

May 28, 2012 at 2:15 am

Would pears work for a substitute?

May 29, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Pears most likely won't be your best bet here. Little bit too mild of a flavor.

May 29, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Hi, please know that I bake and love to use your strawberry salad as a cake filling an then cover the whole cake in coolwhip…so yummy! The cake will be similar to your orange cake. Perfect cake for Spring and Summer… I also add berries.

Linda
    May 29, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Hi Jamie,

I had to pop you an e-mail to tell you…I love you! This Jello was the HIT of our Memorial Day picnic. Everyone kept calling it “the pink stuff”. The only bad part was that our guests ate so much of it, there was hardly any leftovers to enjoy. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, and for all of the hard work you do on your blog. As one who loves to cook, I LOVE to poke around your site, and drool.

Blessings,

Linda

Lois
    June 27, 2013 at 9:52 pm

My mom has been making this with orange jello for (wow) over 30 years! Strawberry would be VERY yummy, I may have to try it this weekend. I am in a cooking mood.

August 8, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I know this must be good…I make one similar…but using fresh cranberries, real whipped cream, and it is awesome..this would be wonderful for Summer. The Cranberry salad is just for Holidays. Keeps it special.

Steph
    August 20, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Where so ever did you get that cute bowl from? Jen told me about your site. I teach Foods and we love your recipes!!

Tania Smith
    August 21, 2013 at 9:11 am

Oh boy … I’m definitely going to give this one a try, it looks yummy.

November 27, 2013 at 11:43 am

Very easy and absolutely delicious!! It was loved by everyone at Thanksgiving. Thank you for easy directions.

Alicia
    December 28, 2013 at 1:07 am

Thank you for this easy and delicious recipe! I’m rather forgetful as a cook, and this recipe didn’t leave room for mistakes, even for me. It was a hit at Thanksgiving and was requested again for Christmas!