Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Spring has sprung here in Utah, my friends. In my neck of the woods Spring means you might get a nice sunburn planting flowers one day while the next you shiver your self silly (while wearing your winter coat) at the kids’ soccer game.

And so, soup can still hop onto the menu now and then. Even in Spring. At least here in Utah.

And, I would be quite ashamed of myself if I let the last of the chilly weather pass without sharing this fantastic soup recipe with you. The ingredients are simple…butter, flour, half and half, bacon…hello and cheese! These flavors come together perfectly to make this soup an instant family favorite. Love it when everyone gobbles dinner up in a hurry, with oooo’s and ahhhhhh’s and this is so fantasticccccccc.  I’m going to go ahead and wager that you enjoy that kind of thing, too.

Let’s make the soup, man. You and me and your chilly winter coat.

Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Time: 30 minutes hands on + 90 minutes total
Recipe from the lovely Stephanie Schaugard

8 russet potatoes
1 (16 ounce) package bacon
1 C butter
1 1/2 C flour
4 C milk
4 C half and half
10 chicken bullion cubes (or 10 tsp. bullion granules)
salt and pepper
cheddar cheese, grated
green onions, chopped

1. Scrub your potatoes clean with water and then set them out on a baking sheet.

2. Press a fork into each potato several times. Pop them into a 400 degree oven and let them bake for about 1 hour.

3. Let the potatoes cool for at least 20 minutes before you try to handle them. When they are cool enough, peel them

and then chop them into pieces.

4. Line a large baking sheet with tin foil and lay your bacon out onto it. Bake it at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until crisp.

5. Remove the bacon from the hot baking sheet to a plate lined with paper towels. Dab the excess grease from the bacon with another paper towel. Once the bacon has cooled, cut it into pieces.

6. Into a large pot melt 1 cup of butter.

7. Add 1 1/2 cups of flour to the butter.

Quickly whisk the butter and flour together forming a nice thick paste (this is called a roux).

8. Add 4 cups of milk,

4 cups of half and half,

and 10 bullion cubes or 10 teaspoons bullion granules.

9. Whisk the soup ingredients together over medium high heat. Keep on stirring until the soup comes to a boil and gets thick. Should take about 5 minutes is all. If the soup is thicker than you like add a little bit of milk to thin it out.

10. Add the baked potato chunks and allow them to get heated through.

11. Taste the soup, add a bit of salt and pepper to your liking. Serve it with the bacon crumbles, cheddar cheese and green onions.

Enjoy!

May 7, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Looks great and super easy…I think I'm going to try it today.

JennE
    May 7, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I live in Washington state and we actually have sun today. I can now look forward to the next wet, cloudy, nasty (normal for us) day because I have this soup to make. Thank you.

May 7, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Looks delicious. My son has been wanting some baked potato soup. Thanks

May 7, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Oh, does this look good! I am a big fan of potato soup and I make it quite like this, but I am a big fan of rosemary in my potato soup, so I add about a teaspoon of dried crushed rosemary or more fresh.

May 11, 2012 at 2:48 am

Hi there, this is a really nice post. It would be great if you linked to it in my Food on Friday series. Food on Friday – Bacon

May 14, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Hi Jamie! I love your recipes; this will be the 4th or 5th dinner recipe I make, not to mention all the desserts and sides I've used! I was curious,could you add measurements to the serving sizes?

May 17, 2012 at 12:18 am

Another winner!!! My 9 year old daughter even gave me permission to make this one again. Thanks!

May 23, 2012 at 12:50 am

nice idea.. thanks for posting..

September 24, 2012 at 10:18 am

It looks really good,I can’t wait to try it. Can you use fat free half and half?

September 24, 2012 at 11:15 am

Hi Barb,
      I haven’t ever tried using fat free half and half with this recipe. My thoughts are that it might be a bit grainy, but…it would be more healthy. :) Let me know if you try it and how it turns out.

Debbie
    October 3, 2012 at 8:40 am

I’m making this tonight. You have some great recipes. Thanks for all the great ideas.

February 7, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Be a trendy and yuippe k Seriously, is that iPad wonderful thing, but if you want out there, a paper for a pattern or spend a significant amount of time to sit in front of a? It seems they have docking stations for it (the tiny keyboard apple small) but I prefer a laptop with full-size keyboard and screen 17 (thats just me though). Thats not to mention my laptop has a graphics card dedicated and I can play it (Apple sucks-not applications ). Was this answer helpful?

Rebecca
    October 16, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Hi, Jamie! We made this soup last night, and it received a 5 star rating from my family.

Mom of 4
    December 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Made this today for lunch! It was very filling and EXCELLENT! We will make again and again! Thank you Jamie!

sherilsl
    December 23, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Wonderful recipe, Thanks! On a side note, where did you get the cute bowls?

Suzanne
    January 13, 2013 at 9:39 am

As you know, there are russet potatoes, and tthen here are russet potatoes. The ones in my grocery store appear to have been on steroids (i.e., HUGE!). About how many cups of baked potatoes should we have when making this soup? Looks delicious — can’t wait to try it!

Suzanne
    January 13, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I just made this soup with six steroid-size russet potatoes, and that was about right. In fact, so right that my husband said this was the BEST potato soup he’d ever had. (And, um, he’s not just a young pup.) Thanks for sharing this recipe. Delicious comfort food.

Carole
    February 20, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Made today and followed recipe. Maybe I did something wrong but tasted like too much flour. I did use white whole wheat flour, but do not understand why that would make any difference. I will add more milk or half and half to try to to change taste. Maybe cheese and bacon would also make a difference. Any suggestions?

melissa
    September 18, 2013 at 9:35 am

I have had the same problem with a lot of potato soup recipe’s tasting too much like flour. I now skip adding flour entirely, instead I simply put some of the finished recipe into a blender. this thickens the soup without the overpowering flour taste.

Mit-Mit
    October 8, 2013 at 11:21 am

So you only cook it for a total of 5 minutes?

December 27, 2013 at 8:51 am

This looks so yummy, but I was hoping it was a crock pot version haha! This mama lives on her crock pot! Have any suggestions how I could make this recipe in my beloved slow cooker?

December 31, 2013 at 6:55 pm

It’s not like the restaurant, Houston’s but I can see it getting there with a few more tries! Thanks for the easy recipe! Happy New Year!

Stacy Adams
    May 10, 2014 at 3:32 pm

This was fantastic! Now my go to tater soup, I leave the peels on mine btw…easier and full of flavor!