Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich

Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich

Holy, cow. I hope you make this sandwich. It is out of this world scrumptious…that is, if you are in to things like juicy chicken, caramelized onions, grilled pineapple and melted cheese all covered in a knock your socks off teriyaki sauce.

Are you into those kind of things?

I am.

I am today, tomorrow, next Friday.

And ten years from now.

This sandwich won’t take you too long to prepare. The teriyaki sauce can be made in a jiffy while your grill heats up outside. Then it’s just a matter of grilling the chicken, while the onions and pineapple cook and caramelize on a nice sheet of tin foil, next to your chicken… right on your grill. It really does come together pretty quickly, and did I mention that it’s scrumptious?

I’m talking…eyes rolling around in the back of your head, scrumptious.

Hope you make it.

Hope you love it.

Hope your life is just a bit grander because of it.

Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich

Time: 40 minutes

Yield: 4 sandwiches

Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

PRINT RECIPE WITH PICTURE

Teriyaki Sauce, recipe and tutorial found here

4 chicken breasts

olive oil

salt and pepper

4 pineapple rings (more if you like a lot of pineapple)

1 red onion, sliced

4 slices mozzarella or provolone cheese

4 slices lettuce, romaine or iceberg lettuce

4 hamburger buns

1. Stoke up your grill, won’t you? You want to heat it up until it reaches between 350 and 400 degrees.

2. While its heating, prepare the teriyaki sauce…which is super easy and should take you less than 10 minutes. Full tutorial with pictures and instructions found here.

3. Drain the juice from the pineapple rings and set them aside.

4. Slice your red onion and the cheese.

5. Carefully lay a medium sized piece of foil over your hot grill. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top and spread it around a bit with a spatula.

6. Lay your chicken out over the top of the oil and sprinkle it with a bit of salt and pepper. Close the lid to the grill and turn the heat down to low.

7. When the chicken has cooked for about 8 minutes, lay another piece of tinfoil out on the grill. Drizzle olive oil over it, spread the oil around a bit and then lay the onions out over the oil. Sprinkle them with some salt and pepper. Close the grill and let everything cook.

8. When your chicken has cooked almost all the way through, move the onions to one end of the foil they are on, drizzle a little more olive oil on the foil and toss the pineapple rings onto it. Be careful not to let your onions get too dark, you are looking for a nice caramelized golden color…not black. Take the onions off the grill and set them aside when they are done.

9. Once the chicken is browned along the bottoms turn it over and let it get browned on the other side, should only take about 5 more minutes, depending on the heat of your grill and the thickness of the chicken.

10. When the pineapple gets grill marks along the underside (should only take a few minutes), flip them over and brush some of the teriyaki sauce all over them. Keep a close eye on them, so they don’t burn. Once the teriyaki sauce has warmed through and caramelized a bit, (really just a minute or two) remove them from the grill.

11. When the chicken is done (it should no longer be pink on the inside), brush each piece with the teriyaki sauce and then cover each piece of chicken with a slice of cheese. TURN THE HEAT TO THE GRILL OFF, and then close the cover. It will stay plenty hot inside allowing the cheese to melt and get bubbly. Once this has been accomplished, remove the chicken to a clean serving plate.

12. Brush both sides of each hamburger bun with teriyaki sauce, add a cheesy chicken piece, a slice of juicy pineapple and some caramelized onions. Place a pretty piece of lettuce on for good measure and there you have it…

A Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich of wonder and heavenly bliss.

It might even earn you a kiss…

wouldn’t that be nice.

Everyone likes kisses.

At least that was the case, the last time I checked. :)

Which was about 5 minutes ago.

September 4, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I had some turkey burgers that I subbed for the chicken and it was great! This is definitely a keeper recipe. Can’t wait to try it with chicken, even though the turkey burger was delicious.

Stephanie
    September 8, 2012 at 9:35 am

These were wonderful! We had them last week for Labor Day! The teriyaki sauce is to done for!

September 24, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I was soooo craving this exact yumminess on Friday! So glad Mary E. told me about your site! I will be trying this out tomorrow!

danielle d
    November 7, 2012 at 2:25 pm

this looks like the sandwich fron red robin, which is delicious!

Karen Wolff
    December 31, 2012 at 4:33 pm

looks so stinkin’ good-must pin this!

Stacy
    January 3, 2013 at 8:04 pm

AWESOME! My family wasn’t too sure about the pineapple. All but one tried it and those who did liked it. Yummy!!

January 29, 2013 at 12:12 pm

This looks wonderful!!!! However, where I live we can only grill a few months out of the year. Has anyone tried another method?

May 7, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I made these but sprinkled on a little bit of McCormick Caribbean Jerk Seasoning. HOLY MOLY! They were so delicious!!!

Amie
    May 24, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I don’t have a grill but made these in my oven using the broiler and they were fantastic and very flavorful . You have to cook the chicken for a longer time but be careful not to overcook. Didn’t have pineapples on hand but will try that next time. The teriyaki sauce recipe is amazing.

Kathy Powell
    June 28, 2013 at 9:00 am

I couldn’t find recipe for teriyaki sauce??? Love your site and your personality..

Linda F
    August 11, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I also am having trouble finding the recipe for the teriyaki sauce. It says it can be found here, but there is not a link to click on.

August 12, 2013 at 8:26 am

Linda,
      Thanks for letting me know the links were broken. I have fixed them now. Good luck!

Toni
    January 23, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Your grilled chicken teriyaki sandwich looks fantastic. Two questions, can I make it in the oven (no grill). Also, your teriyaki sauce has sesame oil, my sister is highly allergic to sesames, can I make the sauce with regular oil without changing its goodness? Thanks.

January 27, 2014 at 8:23 am

Toni,
      You can leave the sesame oil out, without if being too effected. It will still taste great. I haven’t ever tried it in the oven, but imagine it would work out well. Best of luck to you!