Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

Do you like chocolate?
How about peanut butter?
Together even!
Me too, oh my…me too.
So does my friend Pam, which is why I made them for her birthday back in May (4 months ago!). Don’t be mad that I have waited to long to share this dynamite recipe with you all, okay? I got sidetracked by my grill and ended up making this and some of these and then the world turned all golden and cool and I had a serious urge to make a few fruit crisps and Pumpkin Whoopie Pies and well…these Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes got left behind for a while.
But now, here they are just for you…and I sure hope you are glad, because they are made of peanut butter and chocolate, as I previously touted. A moist chocolate cupcake gets baked right over the top of a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. Then a silky-smooth, peanut butter and cream cheese frosting is swirled over each cupcake and topped with a mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. They are absolutely divine!
 Let me show you how to make them…before another 4 months up and passes us by. :)

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

Time: 1 hour
Yield: 36 cupcakes
Recipe for cake from the lovely Cindy Schut…frosting recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

CUPCAKES:

1/2 C creamy peanut butter
6 C powdered sugar
1 t vanilla
dash salt
5 T milk
1 (8 ounce) bag mini peanut butter cups

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. To make the cupcake batter, place 1 devils food cake mix,  1/3 cup flour and 1 small package of chocolate pudding into your stand mixer or large mixing bowl. Toss the ingredients together to combine.
2. Add 1 1/2 C water, 4 eggs, 1 t vanilla, 1/3 C oil and 1/3 C sour cream. Mix on low speed for 1 minute. Scrap the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula to make sure all of the dry ingredients are getting incorporated. Then mix on medium speed for 2 minutes, or until the batter is nice and glossy. Glossy batter is a beautiful thing to behold. :)
3. Line your muffin tins with cupcake liners. Unwrap 36 Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and place one in the bottom of each liner.
4. Scoop some batter into each liner, just about half way full, please. You don’t want them to overflow when baking. Pop them into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the top of the cupcakes spring back when lightly tapped.
5. Remove the pans from the oven and let the hot cupcakes rest in the pans for about 5 minutes. Then remove them to a wire rack and let them cool completely.
6. To make the frosting, toss 1 package of softened cream cheese and 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter into your stand mixer. Beat it until it’s nice and smooth.
7. Add 6 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 5 tablespoons of milk and a dash of salt. Beat until all ingredients are incorporated and the frosting is smooth.
8. Find yourself a pastry bag and a large star tip, 1M is the size I used.  (You can buy both of these at Walmart in the cake decorating section. They can also be found at cake decorating supply stores, and most craft stores.) Snip the end off of the pastry bag and drop your tip into it. Spoon the frosting into the bag and swirl the frosting on top of a cupcake.
9. As soon as the frosting has been piped onto the cupcake, add a little mini peanut butter cup. (These can be found on the candy aisle at most grocery stores).
If you frost all of the the cupcakes first, and then try to attatch the little peanut butter cups, the frosting will have dried a bit and they will be hard to fasten into the frosting. Just a little word to the wise, here. :) Only frost one at a time.
Store the cupcakes in the fridge until you are ready to serve. If you need to make them a head of time for a party or gathering, they freeze really well. Just be sure to keep them in an air tight container.
Enjoy!

Danielle D.
    September 28, 2012 at 6:57 am

I seriously read this whole post with my mouth open haha. I’m a peanut butter lover and these make my heart go pitter patter. Too bad I’m the only one in our house that loves it this much.

Amy
    September 28, 2012 at 9:26 am

Oh, so tempting. No combination of foods in this world can beat peanut butter and chocolate! So glad I am too busy to make these anytime soon.

GJ
    September 28, 2012 at 10:52 am

Are the peanut butter cups full size? Where do you find 36 of them that doesn’t cost a fortune? These look wonderful!

September 28, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Hey GJ,
      I found some great peanut butter cups that come 8 to a package for $1 at Walmart. I think they may be just slightly smaller than a regular cup. I would imagine they are the same as the “fun size” bars. Good luck! Hope you love them.

Kellie
    September 28, 2012 at 4:36 pm

YUMMY! I just made some of these and instead of the big peanut butter cups, I just pushed in a miniature one after they came out of the oven. Delicious!

Joan
    September 28, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I cannot wait to try this recipe!!!! One question though…does the peanut butter cup stick to the wrapper when you peel the wrapper off?

September 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Joan,
      Once the cupcakes have cooled, the chocolate sets up nicely. I didn’t have a problem with them sticking. Good luck!

Valerie
    September 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm

When you call for pudding, is is premade or a mix, instant or cook n serve?
    I can’t wait to try these!

September 29, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Hi Valerie,
      Thanks for your question, you need instant pudding (it’s a powdery mix).
      Thanks,

Betty
    October 10, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Peanut butter & chocolate! Great idea! Now, do they actually freeze well – frosted and decorated??? Wow this is definitely a recipe I will try!!

October 10, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Betty,
      Yes, you can freeze them decorated, frosted and all. Good luck!

February 7, 2014 at 11:49 pm

It would be very hard for me to not eat all those cookies mylesf. I love blimp sightings. I’m sure I can count on one hand all of them my entire life.

Janelle
    October 21, 2012 at 5:57 am

What do you use to put your frosting on? They look so perfect!

Nancy
    June 10, 2014 at 7:54 am

I finally got around to making these and now make them with a slight variation. That frosting is to “die for” so instead of a peanut butter cup at the bottom (which I don’t always have on hand) I used the frosting as a filling then add a mini peanut butter cup on top. What a hit these turned out to be. Thank you so much for such a fantastic recipe!