Sweet and Sour Chicken

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Simple and Delicious.

The very words just ring with satisfaction, don’t they? A love a good meal that can be made in 30 minutes and puts a smile on the face of all individuals present at the dinner table. (Simple and Delicious…did, I mention how wonderful that combination is? I think I may have, in the recent past.)

This Sweet and Sour Chicken has a wonderful tangy-sweet, bubbly sauce that simmers away over tender chunks of chicken. Pour the whole concoction over white or brown rice, and just you go ahead and watch while Simple blossoms into Delicious. Keep the memory close to your heart, won’t you.

Let’s make it, man.

You, me and the 4 chicken breasts you’ll need to be taking out of your freezer. :)

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Time: 30 minutes
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

4 large chicken breasts (about 3 pounds worth)
2 T olive oil
1 1/4 C sugar
3/4 C vinegar
1 C cold water
1 t chicken bullion granules (or 1 bullion cube)
7 T ketchup
2 T soy sauce
1/4 t ginger
1/2 C pineapple or apple juice
2 1/2 T corn starch

1. Cut your chicken breasts up into medium-sized chunks, 2-3 inches will do. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. When it’s nice and hot pour 2 tablespoons olive oil into the pan, allow it to get hot and then place your chicken carefully into the pan. Sprinkle it with a bit of salt and pepper. Let the chicken cook, stirring occasionally and pouring any excess liquid from the chicken into the sink. Sometimes if you have chicken that is really wet from defrosting, it can be hard for it to get nice and golden brown on the outside. If this is the case for you and your lovely pan of chicken, just drain the juices into the sink and all will be well.

2. While your chicken is cooking make the sauce. You’ll need a medium-sized mixing bowl and 1 1/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup vinegar, 1 cup cold water, 1 teaspoon chicken bullion granules (or 1 bullion cube), 7 tablespoons ketchup, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 cup pineapple or apple juice and 2 1/2 tablespoons of corn starch. Pour it all into your bowl and stir it around with a fork until all ingredients are combined.

3. When your chicken is nice and golden brown on the outside (should only take about 10 minutes)

pour the sauce over the top of it. Give everything a nice stir.

4. Turn up the heat just a bit and let it come to a boil, it should start to thicken up pretty easily for you. Turn the heat back down and let it simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is nice and thick.

Serve over white or brown rice and enjoy!

September 26, 2012 at 3:05 am

I love making homemade sweet and sour chicken at home. Your dish looks fantastic. I love your chopsticks! Be careful with crossing them, though. It is a sign of bad luck and bad manners in some Asian cultures :)

Kim McCann
    September 26, 2012 at 6:58 am

Way to curse yourself with the chopsticks Jamie! :) It’s ok…I still love (and slightly worship) you…don’t worry!!

Jenn N
    September 26, 2012 at 7:02 am

Jamie, it just cheers me up to see your recipes. Thanks for putting so much effort into your blog. It makes me happy to read it, and I have never had a recipe fail me yet!

You really are awesome. I’m going to try this on date night!

Tina
    September 26, 2012 at 11:40 am

Jamie,
    This looks good. We will have to try it. I was wondering what type of skillet you use. I need to get a new one and this looks exactly like what I want. Thanks.

September 27, 2012 at 8:35 am

Tina,
      My husband picked the skillet up at Costco. They generally carry them in the fall and winter. (Couldn’t find one there this summer)
      Good luck!

Tori
    September 26, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I’m not a big fan of sweet and sour chicken, but the boyfriend is, so I’ll file this one away with all the rest of yours! Thanks!
    Also, your mixing bowl is both adorable and functional with the handle AND the spout. Wherever did you get it?

–Tori

September 27, 2012 at 8:34 am

Hi Tori,
      I friend gave me that little bowl for Christmas. I have loved it, but don’t know where she got it. Sorry!

Debbie
    September 26, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I just made the chicken gnocchi soup. My husband loved it and even went back for the 3rds. We don’t use much salt, so I used salt free chicken stock and salt free chicken bullion. I just discovered your blog last week and love it. You have lots of great recipes. Thanks for the great ideas! Fall is in the air here in Florida, it’s only cooled down to the mid 80′s. Pumpkin baking season coming up!

Linda Taylor
    September 26, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I just love all your recipes and can’t wait to get all and any recipes that you have. Thanks for all.

Tina
    September 27, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Jamie,
    Thanks for replying back. I appreciate it. I will keep on the lookout. I think your husband did a good job picking that out.

Chelsea
    October 3, 2012 at 7:45 am

I made this last night for dinner, it was delicious! The sauce was perfection.

Alys
    October 3, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I have been browsing your blog for good recipes to freeze (pregnant and dues in 5 weeks, so the panic has hit). Have you tried freezing this before? I wonder how the sauce would do…

October 4, 2012 at 6:48 am

Hi Alys,
      I haven’t ever tried freezing this recipe. My first thought is that it would work out okay. It may not taste as fabulous as is does freshly made. Good luck and best wishes for you and new little one. :)

Melissa
    October 15, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Thank you! You saved my dinner tonight! :) had something else planned, but got home late and chicken wasn’t all the way thawed. I had all the ingredients on hand and was able to throw this yumminies together in a jiffy. I think I fou d a new sweet/sour recipe! Thanks!
    Btw, found you on pintrest.

Haley
    October 16, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Made this last week exactly according to the recipe and it was AMAZING. I love Jamie’s simple and straightforward directions, thanks to her I suddenly feel like an Iron Chef champ. My friends and family have now gotten hooked on this site as well. Jamie, you deserve the accolades, thanks for your wit and humor and your practically infallible recipes!

Kelli
    November 5, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Jamie,

I have ginger paste in a tube, can I use that and if so, same amount?

Joddi
    November 6, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I made this for dinner tonight! It was easy and my family really liked it!! Thank you!!

Victoria
    July 10, 2013 at 6:39 am

Wow, this recipe was really good! I was worried that the taste of the vinegar was too strong, but after it cooked it tasted reaaally great! Thanks

October 2, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Awesome sauce! Loved it!Made as directed but next time will just pour the sauce over breast and bake for our Rotary and Kiwanis dinners which our church serves weekly.

Jan
    November 7, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Added pineapple chunks, snap peas, water chestnuts – Incredible! Due to a requirement of low sodium, used no salt ketchup, low sodium soy sauce and no salt chicken bullion granules. It’s been suggested I throw in roasted cashews next time. A successful meal – Thank you.

Marcie
    November 24, 2013 at 4:33 pm

My Family loves this recipe. I even add cut up pineapple and celery! Thanks for the recipe!