Creamy Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake

Creamy Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake

Today I’m sharing a very simple, easy to prepare, dinner recipe that is sure to put a smile on many (if not all) of the faces at your dinner table. Penne pasta and roasted chicken pieces are covered in homemade alfredo sauce and then sprinkled with mozzarella cheese and panko bread crumbs. Pop it into the oven letting the cheese bubble up and the bread crumbs get toasted…and you have fabulous dish on your hands, my friends.

Hope you love it!

PS…the whole thing can be made in 30 minutes or less. :) An important feature, wouldn’t you agree?

Creamy Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake

Time: 30 minutes
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

***Note: This recipe is best served immediately after it’s prepared.***

1/2 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
4 T butter,
2 C whipping cream
1 C whole milk
2 C parmesan cheese, grated
3 C rotisserie chicken, chopped
1/2 C chicken broth
1/8 t granulated garlic
1/2 t thyme
1/2 t oregano
salt and pepper
1 C mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 C panko crumbs (optional)

1. Boil yourself some water, salt it generously and cook half of a 16 ounce package of penne pasta.

2. In a large skillet melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat.

3. Add 2 cups whipping cream and 1 cup whole milk.

Sprinkle in 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese

and stir it in with a nice wisk. Bring the mixture to a simmer, over medium high heat, stirring occasionally. The sauce will start to thicken after several minutes. Turn your oven on to the broil setting.

4. Find yourself a nice rotisserie chicken.

Remove the skin and take out the breast meat. Chop the chicken into medium-sized chunks. Toss the chicken into the sauce. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic, 1/2 teaspoon thyme and  1/2 teaspoon oregano. Give it all a nice stir, taste it and add salt and pepper to your liking. Let it come to a simmer again and let the sauce cook for about 3-4 more minutes. You want the chicken to get nice and hot and the sauce to thicken just a bit.

5. Spray a 4 quart casserole dish (or a very deep 9×9 pan) with cooking spray. Place your cooked pasta into the dish and pour the sauce over the top.

6. Grate 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle it all over the top of the saucy pasta.

7. If you like your pasta with a crispy top, then sprinkle 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs over the top of the mozzarella cheese.

Like this. :)
8. Turn your oven to broil. When the oven is hot, pop the dish in.  Watch it carefully here, you want to be sure not to let the panko crumbs get burned. When the cheese is bubbly and the crumbs are toasted (should only take about 5 minutes) remove the pan from the oven and serve immediately.

October 22, 2012 at 8:46 am

Yum! I know what I’m making for dinner tonight as I just happen to have everything I need for this recipe. My kids will probably groan but I think I’ll add some mushrooms and a bit of spinach to this. Think if I prepare it this morning and put it in the fridge it will keep? You are a talented woman.Thanks for the inspiration and all the wonderful recipes. I check your site almost daily to see what goodies you’re creating. Your blog is a treasure trove!

October 22, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Hey Sarah,
      Wow…spinach and mushrooms sounds divine. I may try that myself, thanks for the idea. :)
      As for making it ahead of time…it doens’t work out very well. The sauce tends to separate and get absorbed by the noodles. This one is best to serve fresh.
      Good luck! Hope you love it!

October 22, 2012 at 11:49 am

Oh does this look YUMMY!!! LOVE it when I find a recipe that is easy to prepare, yet something my whole family will love :) Thanks Jamie!!

October 22, 2012 at 11:49 am

This sounds yummy. Can’t wait to try it!

October 22, 2012 at 11:51 am

You could just cook and cut up your own chicken if you want to be ambitious one day though, right?

October 22, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Yes, you can cook up your own chicken to go with it. Good luck!

October 22, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I made this tonight for my family and they loved it! However, I’ve never used whipping cream before, and I couldn’t seem to get my sauce to thicken up enough. I ended up not putting in very much of the broth to keep it from thinning out even more. What did I do wrong?

October 22, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I made this tonight as well, along with the Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies! Devine!! Thanks for teaching me to cook Jamie!!!

Az smith
    October 29, 2012 at 10:43 am

Cant wait to try this.

October 29, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Oh the kids love Alfredo, this looks yummy, cheap and easy. I am always needing quick meals.

Bonnie N
    October 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Why use the breast when the dark meat is so much more flavorful? I use chicken quarters for any chicken recipe. Breast is too dry and bland. Otherwise, this recipe is just super!!!

October 30, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Loved the recipe, I thought the leftovers were just as good as when it was fresh.
    Everything I’ve tried from you has been good!

October 30, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I had the same issue as Tracy the whipping cream never thickened up. I typically use heavy whipping cream for sauces. I will use it next time.

November 1, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I just made this for dinner and it is really good! It tastes like a cheese pizza. I will definatly make this again. I decided not to use whole milk and used 1%. It was a bit soupy. It may not be a problem when it comes to reheating leftovers.

Mom of 4
    November 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Made this over the weekend and must say it pleased my pickest child! Thank you so much! Loved it and will never buy package alfredo mix again! LOVE your blogs! thanks!!

November 8, 2012 at 12:40 pm

The sauce in this recipe does not thicken as easily as it seems in the directions. The sauce was simply too thin and pasta turned into mush when you baked it. So, I added 2 tablespoons of flour to the 1/2 can of chicken broth and made it into a light paste. When adding the broth paste to the sauce it begins to thicken immediatly! Worked out great!!! Also, to save the other 1/2 can of chicken broth, I added it to the water used to boil the pasta. This adds chicken flavor to the pasta even after it has been drained. Loved this recipe!!!

November 19, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Just ate this for dinner and it was AMAZING!! I added a little flour and seasoned salt and didn’t put any cheese on top and it was sooo good! Great recipe! I’m pretty sure every recipe on here is delicious.

Kim Huffman
    November 26, 2012 at 11:24 am

What oven degrees do you cook the Chicken Alfredo at for 5 min.??

November 27, 2012 at 7:01 am

Hi Kim,
      Thanks for your question. Turn your oven to broil, and then watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn. Good luck!

December 15, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I added some sauteed broccoli, garlic and onion to mine. Mmm!

February 9, 2013 at 2:31 pm

We just had it for super it is yummy and good

February 27, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I’ve made this 3 times since you posted it!
    Thanks so much!

May 20, 2013 at 3:22 am

Dear Jamie,
    We live in Kuwait and while searching for a good pasta receipe I came across ur receipe and it looked exactly like what I had eaten in one of the restaurants here. Only what I did was, I added broccoli, carrots, spinach and corn cornels to the chicken and did exactly except the panko bread crumbs (have not seen those around here) what you have suggested and gave it a lil bake and it came out to be awesome and just so yummy.
    Thank you so much for sharing this AMAZING!! receipe.
    Regards Vrushali

June 16, 2013 at 9:40 am

I tried this recipe and the sauce was too thin to be thickened…when I added the cream it just became very thin and couldn’t come together…any ideas why?

October 2, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I’ve always had that issue. best to use heavy cream for sauces in my opinion. it thickens up great and is a great substitute.

July 1, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Hi I’m not a good cook, ok I don’t cook, but I feel this is an easy,quick recipe for me. The only thing is I have a very basic stove which doesn’t have a broil setting that I can see on it. So please tell me at what oven temp do I bake at?

August 29, 2013 at 11:27 am

My oven temp at broil is 500.

August 30, 2013 at 6:52 am

That should work out fine. Just watch it closely. :)

August 19, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I prepped this last night. Doubled the batch and put in 13×9 aluminum pans to heat up tonight. How long would u suggest I cook to get it baked to serve after it being refrigerated over night?

August 25, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Teri, she says above it doesn’t work out well when prepared ahead of time.

August 26, 2013 at 11:16 am

As mentioned above I did prep most of this the night before since I had 40 hungry soccer players to feed and they loved it!!!

Amy Andrews
    September 5, 2013 at 7:14 am

Do you have any suggestions for making this a “lighter” dish? Looks delicious but am concerned about the heavy cream sauce. Thanks!

November 6, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Made this for a church potluck and it went over very well. I got many compliments and requests for the recipe. I did make one alteration–instead of using a rotisserie chicken, I cooked two chicken breasts and cut them into cubes.

November 19, 2013 at 11:33 am

As stated before, the sauce didn’t seem thick in the pan so I added just a little bit of mozzarella, 1/2 c. to the sauce. After broiling the consistency was perfect. My oldest was convince that I’d ordered it from a local Italian eatery. Awesome recipe!!

December 26, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Just looking for a little clarification. The ingredient lists calls for grated parmesan but in the instructions you use shredded. Which works best?

January 4, 2014 at 6:41 pm

I am also concerned with the nutrition facts, could you offer suggestions on how to make a lighter sauce without the cream?

January 18, 2014 at 6:12 pm

First time on your page, recipe was amazing! Can not wait to browse through and see what else I can find :)

January 20, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Just made this for dinner and added sun dried tomatoes…absolutely fantastic! Will certainly make it again. Thanks for the recipe.

January 22, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I made this tonight – it was delicious!!! Only change I made was to add eight slices of cooked, crumbled bacon to the sauce when I added the chicken (I love bacon!). But otherwise, I made it as-is. It was full of flavor and really great to eat on a freezing night. :)

February 2, 2014 at 8:02 pm

My boyfriend lovvvvvvvved this

February 22, 2014 at 3:56 pm

My sauce did not get thick at all. I don’t know why.

March 4, 2014 at 6:46 pm

This was incredible! Did not thicken up even at med/high temps and it was bubbling a lot. Still tasted amazing. Will add broccoli, onions next time

September 5, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I was also wondering why the ingredients listed grated cheese but the cooking instructions states to use shredded cheese. What do i use?

Ronda Trepagnier
    February 10, 2015 at 9:14 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and it was so yummy. The kids kept going back for more. My sauce didn’t thicken but it was still very good. Next time I will add some frozen broccoli and maybe some onions. You have a great site. Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes :) !

February 21, 2015 at 8:03 pm

I made this and my hubby and 2 boys loved it. My husband hates Alfredo sauce, and he had 2 servings. My 3 and 6 year old ate all of theirs. Will make again for sure.

October 30, 2015 at 12:28 pm

I was a little concerned with my version of the recipe, I wasn’t sure if the dish would taste or cook the way yours did.

I made a whipping cream substitute made of 2Cups soy milk, 4TBSP of cornstarch and 2TBSP of self rising flour.

I originally added 1/2TSP of basil as an oregano substitute, since I didn’t have any. Although, I later bought oregano and added 1/2TSP as directed.

Also, I only used only 1TBSP of a “buttery” substitute.

These were my only changes and the dish is still great!

October 30, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Forgot to mention, I only had small penne available.
      Used 2Cups of that.