Easy Overnight Cinnamon Sticky Buns

Easy Overnight Cinnamon Sticky Buns

I have mentioned a time or two that making bread and heavenly cinnamon rolls has to be one of my favorite ways to spend time in the kitchen. Truly it is. There is just something magical about the smell of homemade cinnamon rolls baking in the oven. Love it today, tomorrow, in the good morning and half past good night.

But sometimes, taking time to make cinnamon rolls from scratch just can’t be managed. (Like on Chirstmas morning, right?) So I put this little recipe together for you and I and all of the FreshBreadFromTheOvenLovers out there who can’t seem to find two extra minutes to rub together this holiday season. :)

These yummy Cinnamon Sticky Buns only take 10 minutes of prep work. I’m not kidding. (Rhodes Frozen Roll Dough is going to lend us a helping hand. Please don’t judge me too harshly. We are going for simple and easy, remember?) The frozen roll dough is placed in a bundt pan with a heavenly concoction of butter and sugar poured right over the them. The rolls rise (for 6-8 hours) while you are nestled snug in your bed. When you wake up in the morning, pop the pan into the oven to bake…and warm Cinnamon Sticky Buns are yours to be had, ladies and gentlemen. Not the EXACT replica of Cinnamon Rolls, but pretty darn close.

MyLittleTwinBoyAaron perhaps said it best when he had a mouth full of sticky buns…

“Taste these, everyone! They are so good.  They are like Moms Cinnamon Rolls…only they’re not.”

He’s a very eloquent boy.

Hope you enjoy the recipe, guys. If you are looking for something savory that can be served with these sticky buns, give this Breakfast Casserole a try. It can be prepared the night before as well.

Easy Overnight Cinnamon Sticky Buns
PRINT RECIPE WITH PICTURE

Time: 10 minutes prep + 6-8 hours rising time + 15 minutes baking time
Yield: 18 sticky buns
Recipe adapted from my sweet Aunt Kathy Jacobs

18 frozen dough rolls (I used Rhodes)
1 C butter
1 C brown sugar
1 t vanilla
dash salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1 T maple syrup

1. Grab your bundt pan and spray it generously with cooking spray.

2. Find yourself some frozen roll dough. I like to use Rhodes dinner rolls for this recipe.

3. Place 18 balls of frozen roll dough into the pan.

4. In a small mixing bowl, or large glass measuring cup, place 1 cup of butter. Melt it in the microwave.

5. Add 1 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla,

a dash of salt,

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. Mrs. Butterworths will do, no need to get fancy. :)

6. Stir the mixture until all of the ingredients are well combined. Pour the ooey goodness over the top of your frozen roll dough.

Like this!

7. Cover the bundt pan with plastic wrap. Spray the plastic wrap with cooking spray

then carefully turn the plastic wrap over (so the sprayed side is facing the sticky dough) and lightly cover the pan.

8. Set the pan aside and allow the rolls to rise for 6-8 hours or until they are about 2 inches above the top of the pan. Please be aware that the temperature of your kitchen will greatly determine how fast the rolls rise. If you get up in the morning to find your rolls haven’t risen as much as you hoped, just heat your oven up to 170 degrees, remove the plastic wrap and pop the pan into the oven. The warmth of the oven will quicken the rising of the rolls. Once the rolls have risen enough follow step 9. (You can leave the rolls in the oven while it increases in temperature).
9. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Remove the plastic wrap, carefully place your pan in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown and cooked through.
10. Allow the sticky buns to rest in the pan for about 5 minutes, then invert them onto a large plate.

Serve and enjoy!

Trina
    December 18, 2012 at 8:02 am

I’m a “bake it from scratch kinda gal” but this Christmas Eve and Christmas Day is going to be a little hectic. How I got tricked/conned/hoodwinked/bamboozled into Christmas Eve dinner on top of Christmas Day dinner, I’ll never know. I think it has something to do with my husband’s love of strays (cats/dogs/ducklings/goslings and even the human variety). This is going to make Christmas morning soooo much easier. Reminds me of the Monkey bread my mom makes (with those nasty canned bisquits) but with a more sophisticated twist. Thanks!

susan
    December 18, 2012 at 10:48 am

Could I add some pecans?? If so, should they be on the bottom?

December 18, 2012 at 11:57 am

LOVE this recipe!! Thanks Jamie for sharing :)

Barbara
    December 18, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Hi, Susan,

I make something similar and do put pecans on the bottom of the pan. Lots and lots of them…..for me, you can never have enough nuts!!

Hope this helps!

Barbara

susan
    December 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Yes! Thanks so much!

Danielle
    December 18, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Got a recipe or short cut for a quick icing??

December 19, 2012 at 9:51 am

Yum-love your sons response to these! I have a similar recipe, but think this one is better, especially with the maple syrup added. I’ve made them many times for Christmas morning and always a hit!

Shelby
    December 19, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Do you think this would work as well in a 9×13 pyrex?

December 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Hi Shelby,
      Yes, it will work in a 9×13 pan. Good luck! Hope you love them.

February 7, 2014 at 7:19 pm

It’s always a relief when someone with obvious exsrteipe answers. Thanks!

Hillary
    December 25, 2012 at 8:24 am

Hi there. I tried this recipe and the top rolls rose so nicely but the bottom never did and they didn’t really cook either. I followed your instructions to a T- except that they rose on the counter longer than 8 hours…. Any ideas as to what i did wrong?

Melissa
    January 6, 2013 at 7:16 pm

i grabbed biscuits instead of rolls will it work still?

Emily
    February 17, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Hi. I had the same experience that Hillary had. The top rolls rose great and browned nicely. After the 15 minutes, I took them out, left them out 5 minutes and when I turned them over, they collapsed because they hadn’t cooked all the way through. I’ll try again, maybe covering them with foil when the top is done? Any other ideas?

Jaimie K
    February 25, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Emily, I suggest making in a 9×13 pan. Then they all rise and cook a lot more evenly. I’ve been making these for years. My recipe calls for the bundt pan too, but I’ve converted over to 9×13.

Cathy
    April 4, 2013 at 5:25 am

I made this for my Easter breakfast, and it was a huge hit. Everyone loved it. Thanks so much for this wonderful and easy recipe.

Judy
    December 24, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Not done in 15 min and fell out of the pan and collapsed not happy with this receipe

February 8, 2014 at 12:19 am

?????????? 3.4 ?????? (? ?????????):”Render PAN, at minimum, uadaernble anywhere it is stored… by using any of the following approaches:- One-way hashes based on strong cryptography;- Truncation;- Index tokens and pads (pads must be securely stored);- Strong cryptography with associated key-management processes and procedures.”?????? ????? – ???? PAN ???????? ? ?????????? ?? ???????? ???????, ?? ??????? ?????????.????????? .

Gayle
    January 1, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Hi, so I make a similar recipe and to shine a little light on how to resolve the “not cooked on bottom” issue. My sister said she flips the bundt pan, immediately after the 15 min of baking, onto a jelly roll pan or 9×13 (then removing the bundt pan of course) and bakes for another 5-7 min, this bakes the ones on bottom thoroughly and keeps the top ones from getting too brown, dry and hard. It’s not in the pretty bundt pan shape anymore but it helps a lot! :) The recipe I use is a butterscotch one: sprinkle 1/2 pkg of Cook & Serve (HAS to be Cook & Serve, not instant!) butterscotch pudding powder over the frozen dough balls then melt 1/2 cube of butter with 1 cup of brown sugar and evenly pour over dough & pudding. The rest of the instructions are the same for rising & baking as Jamie’s Cinnamon Sticky Buns (plus the extra step we added to bake the bottom rolls) Enjoy, they are amazing!!!! Prepping a batch right now for coworkers to enjoy tomorrow morning! :)

Lynn Johsnon
    March 6, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I think what the people don’t realize about your recipe is that you don’t have a “top and bottom” layer of biscuits. If you look at the pictures and the way you put the frozen dough in the bundt pan; you have a row on the outside and a row on the inside. The picture of them as you are putting them in the oven shows the same thing. I think the solution is the ration of rolls to the six of your bundt pan. Use a many rolls as it takes to fill the bottom of the bundt pan with a inner and outer row of rolls. I hope this helps!

March 7, 2014 at 7:18 am

Great tip, Lynn. Thanks for sharing it!