Cheesy Spanish Rice

Cheesy Spanish Rice

I have a wonderful little side dish recipe for you all today. This fabulous Cheesy Spanish Rice can be made in 30 minutes or less and goes perfectly with many delicious Mexican dishes like Creamy Chicken Enchilada Casserole, Ground Beef Enchiladas or the tasty Sweet and Hot Shrimp Tacos I posted this past Friday. The rice is flavorful, without being overly spicy. If you want to leave out the cheese (fewer calories, you know) then please do. It’s still delightful! Hope you enjoy it!

I also wanted to tell you about a great giveaway I have posted today sponsored by Rubee Lane. Click here to read all about it. :)

Have a great day!

Cheesy Spanish Rice
PRINT RECIPE WITH PICTURE

Time: 30 minutes
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

2 T butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 C chopped onion
1/4 C chopped red, orange or green bell pepper
2 C rice (I use short grain)
1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
3 1/2 C chicken broth
1/2 t cumin
salt and pepper
1 T butter
1 C shredded mexican blend cheese

1. Heat a large, deep skillet up over medium high heat. Toss 2 tablespoons of butter into the not pan and let it melt.

2. Add 3 cloves of garlic (minced), 1/4 cup chopped onion and 1/4 cup chopped red pepper. Allow the vegetables to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent.

3. Add 2 cups of rice. Give it a nice stir to combine and then and allow the rice to cook a bit. You want some of it to turn a beautiful golden brown color. This really enhances the flavor of the rice. Be carefull not to let it burn. We are just looking for some of the grains of rice to turn golden brown. Not all. Just some. :)

4. Add 1 can of tomato sauce

and 3 1/2 cups of chicken broth. (I used 3 1/2 cups of hot water with 3 1/2 teaspoons of chicken bullion mixed in).

5. Toss in 1/2 teaspoon of cumin and stir everything together.

6. Reduce the heat to medium low and cover the pan. Allow the mixture to simmer and cook for about 12-15 minutes,

or until the rice has soaked up the liquid and is no longer crunchy.
7. Sprinkle the rice with a bit of salt and pepper and toss another tablespoon of butter in. Stir it all together to combine.

8. Turn off the heat and sprinkle 1 cup of mexican blend cheese over the top of the rice. (The cheese is optional. If you are looking for a rice dish with less calories, just skip the cheese. It’s still super yummy without it.)

Cover the pan and let it sit for about 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Serve and enjoy!

Ria
    January 7, 2013 at 5:37 am

I love your website and the beautiful pictures.

denise
    January 7, 2013 at 11:28 am

Looks delicious. A perfect side for some upcoming burritos ! Thanks.

Teresa
    January 7, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Hi, love your site, I am new to it. Did you use white or brown short grain brown rice? Do you find that with regular rice or is it a bulk item? Thank you. Looks delicious.

January 9, 2013 at 6:51 am

Hi Teresa,
      I used short grain white rice. Good luck!

ZZ
    January 8, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Hi, how do I register to receive new recipes?
    Oh, and THANK YOU for having a crockpot section!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :-)
    Z

January 9, 2013 at 6:42 am

ZZ,
      If you look up at the top of the page, under my header you’ll see four gray circles. Click on the envelope to register to get email updates. Hope this helps! :)

Sibyl Scott
    January 10, 2013 at 1:50 pm

This look so good—It looks like it would be a good recipe to have as a standard with Mexican food—and we tend to eat quite a bit of it here.

One question I do have—I am looking at your skillet–it looks like a real nice one–I am so fed up with my skillets I use–seems so many of them once they are good and worn in they get rockety (you know rock on the stove). That one looks like it has a good solid bottom. May I ask what kind you have. I do have cast iron type—but for cooking like this I prefer something similar to what you are using.

Clover
    January 12, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I made this to go with your creamy chicken enchaladas the other day, and both were great, but I have to say I really loved this rice dish. The cheese on top was so yummy.

Amy
    January 14, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I made the rice with the Creamy Chicken Enchilada Casserole over the weekend. Everyone loved it……Thank you so much for a new go-to meal.

jana
    January 20, 2013 at 3:52 pm

made this for my parents today – they loved it! will definitely cook this again :)

Jenni
    February 4, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I made this for supper and let me tell you….it was delish!!!! Better than our local restaurant. I was feeling very proud of myself, even shared some leftovers with our youth pastor–he and his family loved it also. Jamie I love your recipes!! I have made many, many of your recipes and they have all been delish! You have never let me down! :-) Thank you!!!

Sharon
    February 4, 2014 at 8:08 am

Do you have a printed cookbook? If not, why not? Your recipes are great!!!!!!!

Jae
    August 13, 2014 at 6:14 pm

So I am in the process of making this, but I was just wanting to make sure of something first. The ingredients say 6 oz of tomato sauce, but the picture is 8 oz. Which one should I follow?