Fluffy Honey Wheat Dinner Rolls

Fluffy Honey Wheat Dinner Rolls

If you missed my list of 10 Wonderful Winter Reads, click here to view it and enter the giveaway.

I have been fiddling around a bit lately with my Fluffy Dinner Rolls recipe. Not because it’s broken or anything. :) For the past couple of years it has been my go to recipe for quick rolls on a weeknight or for sunday dinner. However, I wanted a great roll recipe that can be made in 60 minutes or less, tastes fabulous and incorporates some wheat flour. (Without any groans, or comments like…”Um, Mom. What are you trying to pull here? These rolls have wheat in them don’t they? They look like a hockey puck!”) Comments like that sometimes spill out of the mouths of the children living here. I try to just smile and take it in stride. I don’t like to eat hocky puck rolls either.

So, I have been tweaking and fiddling with my list of ingredients, working towards a fluffy (non hocky puck textured) honey wheat roll my family would enjoy. I am really quite superbly pleased to let you know that this final Fluffy Honey Wheat Dinner Roll recipe I have for you today has received the thumbs up from every member of my family. My crew loves them so much,  I have made them 3 times in the past several weeks. They are that good.

Hot.

Dang.

Let me show you how to make them. You, Me and your hocky puck of wonder.

Fluffy Honey Wheat Dinner Rolls
PRINT RECIPE WITH PICTURE

Time: 60 minutes total
Yield: 16 rolls
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

2 C wheat flour
2 C white flour, divided
3/4 C hot milk
3/4 C hot water
1/4 C honey
1 t salt
6 T butter, softened
1 T yeast (I use active dry)

1.  Preheat your oven to 170 degrees.
2. Into a stand mixer place 2 cups wheat flour (I used freshly ground hard white winter wheat…but any wheat flour will do).

Add 1 cup white flour

and 1/4 cup of honey.

3. Pour yourself 3/4 cup of milk and heat it up in the microwave for 2 minutes. Add it to the mixing bowl along with 3/4 cup hot water. Your hot water should be hot to the touch, but not so hot that it burns your hand when you touch it. :)

4. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 6 tablespoons softened butter. Turn the mixer to low-speed and allow the ingredients to blend together for about 1 minute.

5. Add 1 tablespoon of yeast (I use active dry). Mix for about 30 seconds.

6. While the machine is mixing add 1 more cup of white flour. Allow the dough to mix for another minute or so. The dough should start to pull away from the sides of the bowl. This is an indication that you have enough flour. If the dough remains stuck to the sides of the bowl then sprinkle a bit more flour (up to 1/2 a cup) into the bowl. Once you have the correct amount of flour added, turn the mixer to medium speed and let the dough mix for 5 minutes.

7. Grab a 9×13 pan and coat the bottom and sides with some butter.

8. Place the dough into the middle of the pan.

9. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 16 equal pieces.

Then roll each piece into a ball.

10. Place the pan into your warm oven and let the rolls rise for about 15 minutes, or until doubled in size.
11. Turn your oven up to 350 degrees. Leave the rolls in the oven while the temperature rises. Allow the rolls to bake until golden brown. Mine took about 13 minutes.

12. Remove the pan from the oven and brush soft butter over the top of each roll.

13. Allow them to rest in the pan for about 5 minutes, then serve and enjoy!

Sibyl Scott
    January 23, 2013 at 7:06 am

Those look so good, and you make it look so easy. I might have to try those later this week. I do have one question—I have tried quite a few of your breads, that you tell to let the pan stay in the oven while it heats up—when I do it, the tops look so very pretty—problem is the bottom of my rolls tend to bet over done—like almost too done. Wonder what I am doing wrong? My husband thinks I can do no wrong in my cooking—I know better. Any suggestions?

Sibyl

January 23, 2013 at 11:12 am

Sibyl,
      I don’t think you are doing anything “wrong”. :) It sounds like your oven cooks more quickly on the botton than along the top. I would try moving the oven rack up a bit, see if that gives you a better result. I recently got a new oven and have trouble getting the bottoms to of things (especially breads) to turn that wonderful golden brown color. Bummer, right. Ovens are not all created equally, it appears. Good luck! Hope they turn out well for ya.

January 23, 2013 at 7:24 am

Mmmmm these rolls look soooo fluffy and delicious!

Judy U.
    January 23, 2013 at 8:20 am

Can I do this with a hand mixer?

January 23, 2013 at 11:09 am

Hi Judy,
      Unfortunatly, a hand mixer won’t work. It’s just not strong enough to knead the dough.

January 23, 2013 at 10:39 am

What a great quest! Thanks for doing all the work. I can hardly wait to try these!

Denise
    January 23, 2013 at 10:44 am

Does it matter or change things at all if I use instant yeast? I’m going to try making these today! Thanks for sharing.

January 23, 2013 at 11:06 am

Hi Denise,
      Just use a slight bit less yeast if you are using intstant yeast. Good luck! Hope you love them. :)

January 23, 2013 at 11:13 am

Less than an hour? You have my attention!

Talia
    January 23, 2013 at 11:24 am

I am adding these to my repertoire – immediately! Thank you for the step by step directions! So helpful.

January 23, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Just fyi – I have tried twice to sign up for your follow-up comments by email and when i’m asked for confirmation, it says it is a phishing email and not safe for me to use. Just thought I’d give you a heads up

January 23, 2013 at 3:50 pm

looking for ways to make bread, etc. just a bit healthier and bet hubby won’t even know the difference

Leslie
    January 23, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Hey, I made these tonight and they were delicious!!! Thank you! I love your recipes!

Traci
    January 24, 2013 at 7:58 am

Made these last night for dinner along with your Bourbon chicken (family favorite). They were so good! I’ve also made your spanish rice and crispy parmesan chicken in the past two weeks. They were each a hit. Your blog is becoming my “go to” place when I need a recipe. I’ve never made anything that my family did not enjoy! Thank you for sharing!!

Denise
    January 24, 2013 at 11:52 am

Well, I made these last night and I did something wrong! The texture of the dough was similar to play-dough. That can’t be right. Does that mean I used too much flour? I let them rise double the amount of time requested and they were still not incredibly fluffy. Also, they didn’t shape well, they were bumpy and the dough wasn’t very pliable. Help!! I’m dedicated to making these turn out :)

January 26, 2013 at 8:29 am

Hi Denise,
      It sounds like you used too much flour, and that perhaps your flour was kind of old. Another suggestion I have is to be sure and let the dough knead in the mixer long enough. It should be kind of elastic-y and have a little bit of a pull to it. Good luck, Denise. Hope it works out better for you next time. :)

Denise Routson
    January 27, 2013 at 9:51 am

Thanks! I will give it another shot! Nope, both my wheat and white flour were brand new…so it must definitely be too much flour! I used instant yeast, and used a little less than recommended..I’ll give it another shot. Thanks!

February 7, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Kelly, I just wanted to let you know the picuerts that you took of our babies Cassandra and Avery are so beautiful, we absolutley love them! As always you did a great job, you should be proud of your awesome work! Thanks again Gina Heaton

Megan Shaw
    January 27, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I use instant yeast in these and the what fluffy dinner rolls and it always works like a charm. I even put a pinch more in because I think it helps them rise to the perfect fluffiness. I made these tonight and my kids and husband loved them…they are definitely not the typical thick, dense wheat rolls I have had before. Me, I love wheat bread but when it comes to rolls, I prefer white. I make your fluffy dinner rolls about twice a month….maybe more. I love making them because they are so fast and everyone loves them. At the same time, I am very happy to have a good wheat roll recipe available and while I prefer white, I will try to make the wheat every so often because thank heavens my kids don’t turn their nose up to wheat (credit to me for introducing wheat bread to them at a young age….when I give them the choice, they choose wheat!). Thank you, Jamie, for fiddling with this recipe so I don’t have to. You are one awesome woman!

Megan Shaw
    January 27, 2013 at 10:21 pm

The what in the first line should be white…..talk about proof read!

Melissa
    January 30, 2013 at 6:50 am

Mine were really dense. What is the possible reason for that? I can never make “fluffy” rolls.

January 30, 2013 at 6:57 am

Hi Melissa,
      You may have added too much flour. Another problem may be not letting them mix for the full amount of time, or rise enough. Hope this helps! Better luck next time.

AnnaMarie Judd
    January 30, 2013 at 9:06 am

I made these last night for my family and they were a hit! I used red wheat instead of white because that is what I had and I was nervous. My husband said they were good, my 12 year old daughter said they were better than the schools! Not much of a compliment, I admit but you gotta know her. So happy to find a wheat roll recipe that works! Plus the bonus of quick rolls! Thanks Jamie!!

Connie Pruitt
    January 31, 2013 at 9:00 am

Making these today. I make your fluffy white rolls often and everyone loves them. I love your blog and recipes! Thanks so much!

Sibyl Scott
    February 1, 2013 at 11:08 am

Wanted to let you know I made the rolls last night—put the pan on the top rack–2nd position from the top—they turned out perfect. Thank you so much for this recipe. I can see making it quite often.

Jessica
    February 11, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I made these last night! They were amazing! Thanks for all the great recipes :)

Sari
    February 12, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Made these rolls for dinner tonight with some soup….OMG they are just wonderful!!!!! The taste and texture is just perfect! I only used an envelope of yeast, which is 2 1/4 tsp of yeast and they turned out just like the picture. This recipe is a keeper for sure! THANKS!!!!
    Sari

Teresa
    March 5, 2013 at 7:12 am

Look delicious. However, do you start timing the 13 minutes once your oven hits 350 or as it is climbing from 170 to 350?

Sari
      March 5, 2013 at 8:13 am

I started the timing as it was climbing, but did take longer than 13 mins. Maybe more like 18-20. I just kept an eye on them so they didn’t get over cooked.

Lindsey
    March 25, 2013 at 10:21 am

Made these for dinner on Saturday night with homemade chicken noodle soup (with those delicious noodles from the freezer section you recommended, by the way) and the rolls were great! Perfect size, perfect fluffiness, and I especially loved how quickly they were ready. I love how realistic your recipes are where you heat the milk in the microwave and let the dough rise in the oven at 170 to speed up the rising time. You are a genius and your recipes make me and my family happy! Thank you!

Melanie
    April 15, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I have made these rolls several times using all whole wheat flour, with excellent results! I also used this recipe as a base for cinnamon rolls…..yum! Thanks for a great recipe. :)

September 30, 2013 at 10:46 am

Hi! We are starting my husband on a gluten-free diet to see if that helps some of his health problems. (This is all new for me!) Do you know of/recommend a certain type of gluten-free flour for homemade breads? Your rolls look wonderful!
    -Audrey

September 30, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Audrey,
      I don’t have any experience cooking gluten free. So sorry. Good luck!

Karen
    December 1, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Great dinner roll recipe! Super easy and fast. Made these for Thanksgiving dinner for a big group and received many compliments on them. TY Jamie!!

Anneli
    December 17, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Have you tried freezing these before or after baking them? I’d like to make some beforehand for Christmas then bring them to my parents and bake them there!

Melusine
    December 31, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I made these rolls last night and it was my very first attempt at making rolls of any variety. I’m fairly clumsy when it comes to baking and I don’t do it very often so I expected my first batch of these to turn out like hockey pucks. They didn’t. They were amazing. Big and fluffy and so soft. I took some in to work today and when I reheated them in our little oven, you could smell the honey all over the office. My employees slapped some butter on some of them and declared them fabulous. You’ve really given me an easy recipe that I can make so I can stop buying mass produced bread and start making my own. Thank you so much! My goal for 2014 is to make more stuff from scratch. This was a great way to kick it off. Happy baking!

Lina
    January 12, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I’ve tried your Fluffy Dinner Rolls and this Honey Wholewheat rolls and they are exquisite! It’s so simple and quick to put together. I’m using some of the dough for Cinnamon Rolls and I’m waiting eagerly for them to come out of the oven. I even made some flat bread in the pan, lovely.

The rolls are indeed fluffy and divine. Thanks for perfecting the recipe.

Katie
    February 3, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Ok so I am an avid baker and I have made bread several times. I have never left a comment on a recipe but I had to with this one. This bread is sooooo good and so easy! I made honey butter and brushed it on the tops for extra sweetness. This will be my go to recipe and my kids love them too! Thanks for posting it!

Annie
    August 15, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Thank you so much for sharing these rolls! I just made a batch and they are glorious!! Soft, fluffy, and flavorful!!

Kendra
    September 5, 2014 at 9:25 am

Jamie,

I LOVE your site and your recipes. I’d like to try this recipe for a party I’m having tomorrow. Do you think I could form the rolls, then put in the fridge overnight and bake in the morning (letting rise longer than normal before baking?). Thank you!

September 5, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Hi Kendra,
      Thanks for your kind words about my site. So happy to hear you are enjoying it. As for your question, I would be careful about making them a day ahead. The recipe is designed so that the rolls rise quickly. I’m not sure how this particular recipe would work rising in the fridge. My thoughts are that it won’t work out very well. I have tried doing that with other roll recipes and they have never risen quite like I am hoping they will. So (especially since you are planning them for guests) I would stick with making them the day of. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

Marilyn
    November 20, 2014 at 11:03 am

Jamie: have just come across your website and just had to try the wonderful-looking whole wheat rolls! They are in the oven now so cannot comment yet but from reading reviews I am sur ether will be scrumptious! My deliema? What do I do if I have an electric oven which heats up with an upper and lower coil which of course would burn the rolls as the oven was preheating! I used another oven to rise at 170 and then transferred to a second oven which was already preheated to 350 to cook. Did not know what else to do! Fortunately I had the two ovens! Hope they come out well!