Easy Toffee Pretzel Bark

Easy Toffee Pretzel Bark

This might be the easiest candy you will ever make. It’s MUCH easier than Homemade Caramels and more simple than regular English Toffee.  No need to stand at the stove and stir and you don’t need a candy thermometer! It’s also made with a very short list of ingredients, most of which I would bet my bottom dollar you are in possession of right this very minute.

There is one thing, however…that will not be easy, should you attempt this fine recipe within the walls of your own home.

It will not (I repeat…IT WILL NOT) be easy to resist eating the whole pan all by yourself.  The combination of sweet toffee goodness and the crunchy saltiness of the pretzels are a match made in candy heaven. This stuff is addicting with a capital A.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Grab a girdle, and make this recipe at your own risk, man. Then please bring me some. I like a little bit of risk now and then.  :)

PS…it would make a great Mother’s Day treat to give to those you love…or a fun Teacher Appreciation gift.

Let’s make it!
IMG_3596_edited-1

EASY TOFFEE PRETZEL BARK

Time: 20 min. + time to cool and set
Yield: 1 large cookie sheet full
Recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe

8 ounces mini pretzels (enough to spread out onto a large baking sheet)
1 C butter
1 C brown sugar, packed
2 C semi sweet chocolate chips
sea salt (optional…I didn’t end up using it. The pretzels had enough salt for me.)

IMG_3562_edited-11. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

2. Grab a large cookie sheet (mine is 11×17) and line it with tin foil.

3. Spread 8 ounces of pretzels over the top of the foil.

IMG_3563_edited-1

4. Break the pretzels into chunks. You can leave them whole if you like as well.

IMG_3566_edited-1

5. Toss 1 cup butter and 1 cup packed brown sugar into a medium-sized sauce pan. Bring it to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally to make sure everything is blending together nicely.
6. Once you have a rolling boil going, keep the heat at medium and stop stirring. Let it bubble away for 3 minutes.

IMG_3569_edited-1

7. Immediately pour the hot candy over the top of the pretzels.

IMG_3572_edited-1

If you have a few gaps that’s ok. The candy will fuse itself together when you bake it.
8. Pop it into the oven and bake for 5 minutes.

IMG_3576_edited-1

Take the pan out of the oven to cool.

IMG_3580_edited-1

9. Immediately sprinkle 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips over the top of the hot candy.

IMG_3581_edited-1

Allow the chocolate to sit for about 5 minutes while it soaks up the heat from the candy, then spread the melted chocolate out over the top of the bark.
10. If you like sea salt, go ahead and sprinkle some along the top of the melted chocolate.
11. Allow the candy to set up. You can pop it into the fridge to speed up the process if you so choose.
12. Cut into chunks and enjoy!

Store leftovers in an airtight container.

IMG_3613_edited-1

The winners of last weeks giveaway (Let It Go by Chris Williams) are #68 Cottage Girl and #51 Elizabeth. I will contact you shortly to get your mailing addresses. :)

Candace
    December 17, 2013 at 12:28 am

Can I omit the tin foil and just use a heavily greased baking sheet?

December 17, 2013 at 7:14 am

Candace,
      Yes! That would work out fine.

Erica
    December 17, 2013 at 10:52 am

Do you think you could substitute margarine for butter?

December 18, 2013 at 6:21 am

Erica,
      Butter is the best choice here (and everywhere) :) Best of luck to you!

SA
    December 18, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Agree with you wholeheartedly on the butter. I’ve been making this recipe for years with saltines and wanted to substitute pretzels and find it just as delicious! I would say that I found the foil to stick at the seam b/c I needed 2 sheets so would advise against that unless you can just use one. Butter and sugar melt off a baking sheet when soaked so cleanup isn’t difficult. Also I tried it once with butterscotch chips and they don’t melt as well and look chalky/gross. Thanks for sharing this recipe!!

Kathy
    December 18, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Scrumptious and so easy!

Zeni
    December 18, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Bake at what temperature?

Judy
    December 20, 2013 at 10:09 am

Jamie! This recipe is super-delish. Finally, a candy I can make without a mixer or endless hand-beating like with fudge. I made it yesterday with waffle-style pretzels, 50:50 milk and semi-sweet chocolate chips, and put chopped, toasted almonds on top (I know that untempered, melted chocolate never sets up smooth, so I like to put a buffer between it and people’s fingers). I made two batches. The first batch of sugar/butter mixture I let boil for about 8 minutes after I had what I thought was a rolling boil, and it came out perfect. With my second batch, I let boil for 3 minutes, and like others who obviously under-cooked the mixture, it never became toffee, just a damp, sugary layer. So, my QUESTION is this: For those of us who don’t have good sugar cooking intuition but who do own cooking thermometers, do you know what the temperature should reach on the toffee mixture to achieve success?

Judy
    December 20, 2013 at 10:15 am

I just read your English Toffee recipe and think I just answered my own question regarding temperature. But given that the English Toffee looks harder and with a different sugar crystal structure, I’m thinking 260F for the pretzel bark toffee mixture? I think I might just do some small-batch experimentation over the holidays. ;)

BarbC
    December 21, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I cooked the toffee for three minutes and then five minutes in the oven. The toffee tastes great, but it is gooey and won’t firm up. It also has a lot of extra butter that has added a greasy coating. Not sure how to fix it, maybe cooking it longer either in the sauce pan or in the oven would help. Too late, I added the chocolate already. :-(

I do like the salty sweet and will tinker with this one a bit before throwing in the towel.

JOJO
      December 10, 2014 at 10:14 am

If you have butter separating you started the cooking at too high a temperature and it causes the butter to shock. Better to start on a low temp and gradually increase to the boil.

Wendy L
    December 22, 2013 at 9:54 am

Made this yesterday and it’s delicious. So easy to make. I’ll never make my English toffee again. Thanks for the great recipe Jamie. Merry Christmas !!

Vanessa
    December 22, 2013 at 11:42 am

I made this recipe for our family Christmas cookie exchange…big hit! I will say however after making it twice with foil, a large silpat works way better!! Didn’t stick at all and was so easy to pull off and then cut into pieces…Delicious!

Sherry
    December 22, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I made this recipe twice now. First time, it stuck to the foil. It was still delicious and everyone loved it. Second time I made it,I used parchement paper. No sticking and it came out perfect! Thank you for the oh-so-addicting recipe!

December 22, 2013 at 12:39 pm

made this last night to bring to a party. SUPER easy and delicious. came out perfectly. I ate a ton before it was even ready, omg so gooood! thank you for the idea.

Barbara
    December 23, 2013 at 12:54 am

Just made this for the first time and since it’s Christmastime and I had extra on hand, I used cherry chips. It turned out great, very festive looking and tasted even better! Thanks Julie!

Nicole
    December 24, 2013 at 4:14 am

Can u substitute the pretzels with gluten free ones and use ghee butter ( lactose free)

Judy
    December 25, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Okay, I just made my third batch. Cooked the toffee to 255F and it turned out just dandy.

I would note that if your oven is small and you don’t have room for an 11×17 pan, split the recipe onto two smaller pans, as the candy really is better thinner than thicker, unless you’re breaking it into really small chunks.

And for those who aren’t die-hard dark chocolate fans, 50:50 dark and milk chocolate turns out really well. My friends really loved the batch I made with toasted almonds and a blend of dark and milk chocolate.

Stacy H from MO
    December 31, 2013 at 8:02 am

I made this for work and it was THE BEST THING EVER! I had never attempted toffee, let alone caramel, and this Christmas, with your instructions and photos, I attempted both and was successful!! Thank you so much for the great recipes and EASY to follow instructions! Happy New Year!

Jan
    January 3, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Any reason why you can’t boil this in the microwave in an 8 cup pyrex glass measuring cup? I make fudge that way, as well as peanut brittle.

Lynn
    January 4, 2014 at 12:41 pm

My first try of making this, the chocolate never really set up. It’s too messy to eat unless I keep it in the refrigerator which isn’t easy to serve for the party I was making it for. Any suggestions on what I may have done wrong?

Valerie
      November 17, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Lynn…did you use soft marg by any chance?
      I am wondering if i could use coconut oil????,

Sherry Johnson
    January 7, 2014 at 12:46 pm

I don’t see any difference in the 2 recipes at all. What am I missing?

Josh Villa
    March 21, 2014 at 8:49 am

Excuse me! i would please really like to know what the nutritional facts or information about this toffee. I used it for a class assignment and it was amazing!! but now i need the nutritional facts

Candace
    June 10, 2014 at 7:10 pm

This stuff is amazing… I have made it so many times I have lost count. Made it for teachers Christmas gifts, and as potluck contributions. I have yet to meet a single person who doesn’t love it

Cynthia
    November 16, 2014 at 9:41 pm

I am going to try a gluten free version to see how it works.

Valerie
    November 17, 2014 at 12:52 pm

—what can I use in place of a girdle? ????????????

Valerie
      November 17, 2014 at 12:54 pm

The question marks were supposed to be smileys..lol

November 19, 2014 at 11:17 am

Valerie,
      If I only knew…

Brooke
    November 26, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Can I use Nutella instead of choc chips?

Alison
    November 30, 2014 at 6:40 am

This is my second time making this recipe and neither time did it turn out – the toffee will not harden. Sad that I wasted our entire stock of butter, haha

Jennifer
    December 11, 2014 at 8:04 am

Question: does it matter if the brown sugar is light or dark? (Inexperienced cook here) :)

December 15, 2014 at 9:11 am

Jennifer,
      Either would be fine. I used light for this recipe. Dark sugar would make it a bit sweeter. Best of luck!

Donna Falbe
    December 13, 2014 at 11:44 am

You can use 1 8oz. bag of “Great Value Gluten Free Pretzel Sticks” & have an easy gluten free Christmas treat!

December 15, 2014 at 9:02 am

Donna,
      I haven’t ever tried it with Gluten Free Pretzels, but imagine it would work out fine. Best of luck!

Debbie Calvert
    December 14, 2014 at 11:39 pm

I make English Toffee every Christmas, but this was the first time I’ve made it with pretzels and it was a huge success. Thanks for including photographs of a ‘rolling boil’ and specific cooking time info.

lisa
    December 15, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I used parchment paper and clean up was a breeze and nothing sticks.

Sarah
    December 17, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Made this twice and the caramel wasn’t right either time so I have a few questions:
    1) I melted the butter and then added the brown sugar. Should I have added the brown sugar while it was melting?
    2) I used Blue Bonnet and I don’t know if that’s real butter or margarine. Could that have affected the toffees setting up?

Shawn
    December 18, 2014 at 7:51 am

What temp do you bake at ?

Katelin
    December 18, 2014 at 9:23 am

I am wanting to try this recipe tonight. I was hoping to make it in a bunch of metal Christmas cookie cutters at the same time. Do you think they will pop out without difficulty? Thanks so much for your help and for sharing this wonderful recipe!