Simple Skillet Breakfast Potatoes

Simple Skillet Breakfast Potatoes

A couple of weeks ago MyTeenSonMark came to me and said…

“So, um…hey, I kind of told my Young Mens Group (for those of you unfamiliar with The Mormon Church, Young Mens is a Youth Church Group of 14-16 year old boys)  that you might be willing to…you know. Like, teach us how to cook. You know how we are all planning to serve missions in the next few years and we will need to…you know. Know how to cook. But not anything fancy, Mom. We just need to know how to make French Toast and Breakfast Potatoes.”

In my boys mind, all problems can be solved with French Toast and Breakfast Potatoes.

How could I refuse his request!?

IMG_4538_edited-1

Could you?

IMG_4530_edited-1

So they came, and I put them to work. I am happy to report that only one of them cut his finger off.

Ok, I’m kidding. No one sustained the slightest cut of any kind. Not a drop of blood was seen on any persons person. A minor disappointment to some of the boys, I am sure. You know how a little bit of blood can turn any outing magically “wicked awesome”.  At least when you are a boy. Or so I’m told. 🙂

IMG_4535_edited-1

They chopped and whisked and chuckled at  funny jokes.

IMG_4544_edited-1

I showed them how to  make french toast, which to my surprise ALL of them had attempted before!  All but one. All but my own son Mark. Felt a little bit sheepish about that, I tell you. Personal note to self on that subject.

IMG_4536_edited-1

It was an hour well spent. Love these cute boys. I can’t believe that some of them are just a couple of years away from serving missions. Makes a mama’s heart hurt with loneliness just a bit. If one of them knocks on your door someday, be kind won’t you? I bet they would be willing to come in and make you some French Toast and Breakfast Potatoes. In fact, I’m pretty sure they would love to now that they are officially well trained on the subject.

Now, let’s me show you how easy these potatoes are to make.

Simple Skillet Breakfast Potatoes

These Simple Skillet Breakfast Potatoes are soft on the inside with a slight crispness to the outside. They are buttery and flavorful and are fabulous served with Everyday French Toast. Just ask any of the boys previously mentioned.

Let me show you how to make it happen…

IMG_4546_edited-1

1. Find yourself 7-8 russest potatoes. Get them into your sink and scrub them clean.

IMG_4547_edited-1

2. With a sharp knife cut the potato into 1/2 inch strips.

IMG_4549_edited-1

Turn the slices over so the skin side is up.

IMG_4552_edited-1

Cut 4-5 more half-inch slices.

IMG_4553_edited-1

IMG_4557_edited-1

Repeat with the other potatoes.

IMG_4555_edited-1

IMG_4558_edited-1

Allow it to melt down.

IMG_4560_edited-1

4. Add your potatoes and give them a nice stir or two so that all of the potatoes have some butter on them.

IMG_4561_edited-1

5. Add 1/2 teaspoon (or more if you love it like me) smoked paprika.

IMG_4562_edited-1

Toss in 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt and a generous helping of salt and pepper. Give everything a good stir, making sure the seasonings are distributed evenly.

IMG_4563_edited-1

6. Cover the pan and let the potatoes cook through. Should take about 15 minutes. You’ll want to check on them several times to be sure they aren’t burning. Make sure to stir them each time you check on them.

IMG_4566_edited-1

7. When the potatoes are soft on the inside remove the pan from the heat. Taste them and add more salt and pepper to your liking.

Serve and enjoy!

IMG_4576_edited-1

Here’s the handy printable…

Simple Skillet Breakfast Potatoes

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

6-7 servings

***NOTE: You can also add chopped onion, or green pepper if you like. Additional seasonings that would be wonderful are dried Thyme, Rosemary or Parsley.

Ingredients

6-7 russet potatoes (about 5 cups chopped)
4 T butter
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 T seasoned salt (I use Lawry's)
salt and pepper

Instructions

2. With a sharp knife cut the potato into 1/2 inch strips.Turn the slices over so the skin side is up.
Cut 4-5 more half-inch slices.Then starting at the bottom of the stack cut half-inch slices going up to the top. Repeat with the other potatoes.
3. Heat a deep skillet up over medium high heat. Add 4 tablespoons of butter to the pan. Allow it to melt down.
5. Add 1/2 teaspoon (or more if you love it like me) smoked paprika.
6. Cover the pan and let the potatoes cook through. Should take about 15 minutes. You'll want to check on them several times to be sure they aren't burning. Make sure to stir them each time you check on them.
Serve and enjoy!

Pinterest friendly image below…

Simple Skillet Potatoes from Jamie Cooks It Up!

May 17, 2013 at 9:24 am

Mmmm these potatoes look like pure comfort-I’d loove to have these in the morning! Totally going on my must make list!

Mary
    May 17, 2013 at 11:07 am

I like to add chopped onions towards the end and if I have it chopped green pepper too, YUM!

Denise
    May 17, 2013 at 11:08 am

What a good mama you are ! Delicious potatoes. Must put it on our list of ‘to do’s ! Thanks for sharing your time, talents, and recipes. A glimpse into your home was also wonderful. What a beautiful place to work, live and laugh in !

May 17, 2013 at 11:35 am

That was such a sweet post. Thank you for sharing. Made me smile.

Pat
    May 17, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Brings back memories! A wonderful gift for your son and others would be to make a small book of missionary helps… Eggs, french toast, egg in a frame, mac and cheese, tuna casserole, hamburgers, spaghetti, and a fast and cheap dessert. You may want a chart of foods that fill a basic requirement for calories. Dont’t forget the basic spices… salt, pepper, cinnamon, etc. ( a little goes a long way…) Deseret Books or Smiths used to have one like this but it is not available now… So one from mom! You are very creative it will be wonderful… A little chapter on sewing on a button, ironing shirts and pants would be helpful. Good luck to him and his friends.

May 17, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I love to add chopped onion and lots of pepper (and a pinch of garlic powder). Yum, yum, yum. I haven’t made them for a while…. I better do something about that soon ;).

shron
    May 17, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I would probably starve to death if it weren’t for you. Well, maybe not, but I wouldn’t eat NEARLY so well and have so much fun doing it and have such an easy time planning it. I know I have told you a version of this note before but I can’t help doing it again! Thank you so much for your generous sharing on your site. You have made my days so much better! 🙂

Cathy
    May 17, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I only discovered your wonderful blog a short while ago and you have quickly become an important part of my day. Such wonderful sharing and recipes. I have tried many and have loved them all. Thank you for brightening up my days and my meals!

Niari
    May 19, 2013 at 5:40 pm

My step dad makes these similar with green onion and crispy bacon. Love them. thank you for showing me how easy they are to really make as I am always asking him to make them for me.

October 21, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I discovered your site from someone else’s. What a jewel. I am loving it. You’ve made my cooking so much easier and manageable. My family has been wonderfully delighted with the new meals. Thank you so much for being so gracious to use your time in posting and sharing.

December 24, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Made these this morning for our Christmas Eve Brunch! So simple, but some of the best I’ve ever had!! Simplicity definitely wins with breakfast potatoes! Thanks!!

ShaNae
    April 9, 2014 at 10:56 am

For a bday dinner, my son requested French toast and these potatoes with the addition of bacon. They are excellent both ways. We make them several times a month.

November 22, 2014 at 11:43 am

Thanks for the great photos, recipes and inspiration. I made these this morning on our sailboat in La Paz, estaba delicioso!
    Will definitely be a repeat.
    Nancy

November 24, 2014 at 6:23 am

Nancy,
      Wow! You are on a sailboat in La Paz! That’s amazing. So happy to hear the potatoes worked out well for you. They are one of our favorites as well. Hope you are having a great time!

November 27, 2014 at 9:11 am

Gracias Jamie! And Happy Thanksgiving. I just whipped up an extra big batch of your Great potatoes to share with my in laws for our pre turkey day breakfast. We are both on boats in the Marina at La Paz.
        Nancy

Lola
    December 22, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Been following your recipes for year now never fails my family my grandkids request it throughout the day.

Emily
    December 6, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Potatoes burned. Despite use of butter and a high quality All Clad pan.

September 24, 2017 at 12:55 pm

I got the recipe from Mashup Mom and boy can I say these potatoes were sooo good. I really couldn’t believe that these potatoes were ready in about 20 minutes. I will be adding this to my standard menu. Thanks for sharing!