Homemade Pancake Mix with Printable Tags

Homemade Pancake Mix with Printable Tags

I have been making a lot of pancakes lately. My kids are out of school and home for the summer and man do they love a nice hot breakfast. Can’t say I blame them. :) I’m a sucker for a good breakfast myself and admit to caving more times than not when they ask for one. In an effort to speed things up in the hot breakfast department, I put together a Homemade Pancake Mix recipe. The mix will make about 5 batches (8 pancakes per batch), and will keep for up to 3 months.  All you have to do is add milk, egg and melted butter to the mix and vwalla…heavenly pancakes of wonder, in a quick fashion.

Homemade Pancake Mix in a Jar

I made some printable tags to go along with the mix as well. :) No need to search for a recipe once you put this mix together. Just whisk the ingredients up together and cook them on a hot skillet.

Let me show you how to make it happen!

Homemade Pancake Mix

HOMEMADE PANCAKE MIX
PRINT PANCAKE MIX TAGS

Time: 15 minutes
Yield: About 5 batches of pancakes (8 pancakes per batch)
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

***Before you make the mix, check the expiration date on your baking powder to be sure it is stated to last quite a while. Store the mix in your pantry for up to 3 months.***

PANCAKE MIX:

1. To make the Pancake Mix find a large bowl and add 6 cups flour,

IMG_4853_edited-1

4 tablespoons baking powder,

IMG_4854_edited-1

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda,

IMG_4855_edited-1

1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 6 tablespoons of sugar.

IMG_4856_edited-1

2. Grab a fork and toss everything together. You want to be sure it gets well combined.

IMG_4921_edited-1

3. Find a couple of quart sized canning jars (or a gallon sized ziploc bag) and carefully place the mix inside.

IMG_4922_edited-1

4. Print off some handy labels (PRINTABLE FOUND HERE) and attach them to your jars, or ziploc bag…

IMG_4926_edited-1

Like this. Then you will be sure to remember what you need to make this mix into some  glorious pancakes. :) Here’s what you need to know to make that happen.

FABULOUS PANCAKES

IMG_4859_edited-1

1. Grab a small mixing bowl. Add 1 1/3 cup of pancake mix,

IMG_4860_edited-1

and 1 cup milk.

IMG_4862_edited-1

2. Crack and egg into a small bowl or measuring cup. (I reused the cup from measuring out the milk…why create extra dirty dishes, right!)

IMG_4863_edited-1

Take a fork and whisk the egg up until it’s nice and frothy. Add it to the bowl. Whisk the ingredients together just until combined.

IMG_4866_edited-1

3. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add them to the bowl. Whisk them around until everything is well combined.

IMG_4867_edited-1

4. Heat up a skillet and rub just a bit of butter over the top of it.

IMG_4871_edited-1

5. Pour the batter out (about 1/4 cup for each pancake) onto the hot griddle. Allow the pancakes to become golden along the bottoms. Flip them over and let them cook on the other side as well.

IMG_4874_edited-1

Serve them up hot…

IMG_4885_edited-1with butter and maple syrup.

Enjoy!

Stacey
    June 17, 2013 at 8:45 am

I have been doing this since I was in college! Easy and much cheaper than buying the mix. I like to substitute some whole wheat flour for white. When I first started I did just a little, like 1:5 and then gradually increased the wheat till my family was eating almost 100% whole wheat pancakes and didn’t even know it. Also, if you want to use up any pwd milk from your food storage that may be going bad, (it does!) add some of that to your mix and just add water instead of milk. The pancake batter covers up the funky old pwd milk taste that no chocolate milk ever could!

June 17, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Stacey,
      Great ideas! Thanks for sharing them with us. :)

Kristy
    June 17, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this come in to my e-mail! Just yesterday I was looking for a dry pancake base to make pancakes with! You are a mind reader! Thanks so much for posting! I can’t wait to try this!

Andrea
    June 17, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Could you also store this in your freezer? Say, if I doubled the recipe and only had half in my pantry at a time?

June 17, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Hi Andrea,
      Yes, by all means you can double the recipe and store half of it in the freezer. Good luck! Hope you love how they turn out.

June 18, 2013 at 7:25 pm

First of all – I haven’t been here since the redesign – I love it!! And we eat pancakes so often is almost embarrassing – what a great way to stay prepared!

Courtney
    June 18, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Hi I can’t wait to try this recipe! Have you tried making waffles with it?

Stacey
      June 19, 2013 at 8:31 am

I make waffles with my recipe like this all the time. It works great!

Rebecca
    June 20, 2013 at 1:32 pm

So I just made this mix exactly as the recipe called for, and the pancakes were AWFUL! I can’t figure out what I must have done wrong. They just tasted like baking powder and salt. At first I thought maybe I wrote it down wrong and was supposed to put 4tsp for baking powder instead of 4T, but I am pretty sure I did it the exact way you directed. Even my 4 year old wouldn’t eat them, and she has eaten soap and liked it! Help!

Although, of course now that I am worrying about it, I am wondering if I only put 5 cups of flour instead of 6… I am so easily distracted that it’s possible… The pancakes cooked up really nicely though, great texture, just salty icky taste…

July 1, 2013 at 4:23 pm

These were wonderful for brunch this past weekend. Thanks so much!

TLE
    August 31, 2013 at 9:55 am

Hi,
    I’ve been craving pancakes and haven’t made them because I ran out of mix. I saw your post and just made these this morning for my daughter. I halved the recipe and used egg white since I didn’t have eggs. They were delicious. Thank you for sharing.

Heidi Buytaert
    September 3, 2013 at 6:31 am

Made these for the first day of school – loved them. Perfect consistency.

Amber G.
    April 11, 2014 at 5:40 am

Can you use this recipe to make waffles also?

April 14, 2014 at 8:38 am

Amber,
      Yes, you can use it for waffles. Best of luck to you!

July 9, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Thank you! I was looking for. Pancake recipe to make for us and my daughter. ( she has two college kids, boy I thought they ate in their teens, now they’re bottomless pits:). But I love ‘em.