Homemade Raspberry Syrup

Homemade Raspberry Syrup

One of the things I love most about summer is the glorious fresh fruit that’s available. Juicy peaches, sweet blueberries, cold slices of watermelon at a backyard barbecue. I love it! I found some beautiful raspberries on sale last week, they were just $12.99 for a case of 6 (12 ounce) packages! Can you believe it? I hardly could. I bought three cases and made a bunch of jam. (Click here for a Raspberry Jam tutorial. Please note that I use frozen berries in the tutorial, but you can use fresh just the same).

Anyhow, it turns out that I had more berries than canning jars (and the thoughts of heading back to the store in 103 degree heat for additional jars, was just plain more than I could take. What is it about walking on black top that has been baking in the sun for weeks on end. It’s like some kind of furnace, am I right!) And so my family and I ate the rest of the berries on the top of our breakfast oatmeal. Some of us had them topped with vanilla yogurt (a bite of heaven) and then finally I made some Homemade Raspberry Syrup.
Homemade Raspberry Syrup  Jamie Cooks It Up!

We poured it over the top of vanilla ice cream, oh my.

Homemade Raspberry Syrup for Pancakes

We ate it drizzled over  fluffy pancakes. Good glory, it was good. Just the right amount of tart and sweet. Hope you enjoy it! Let me show you how to make it happen.

HOMEMADE RASPBERRY SYRUP

***NOTE: This raspberry syrup will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge.***

Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

4 t cornstarch
1/2 C sugar
1 (12 ounce) package raspberries, fresh or frozen
1 1/2 t water
1 1/2 t lemon juice
1 T butter
1/2 t vanilla
dash salt

IMG_5893_edited-1

1. Grab a medium-sized sauce pan and add 4 teaspoons cornstarch to it.

IMG_5894_edited-1

2. Add 1/2 cup sugar and stir the ingredients together.

IMG_5896_edited-1

3. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons water and 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice.

IMG_5898_edited-1

Stir it  together to combine. It will look kind of pasty.

IMG_5897_edited-1

4. Find yourself 12 ounces of beautiful raspberries.

IMG_5899_edited-1

Add them to the sauce pan and stir them gently, so the berries begin to be coated. The berries will begin to break down, which is just fine.

IMG_5900_edited-1

5. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Let it bubble and boil for 1 minute. It should thicken up into a nice syrup consistency for you.

IMG_5901_edited-1

6. Remove it from the heat and add 1 tablespoon butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and a dash of salt.

Homemade Raspberry Syrup from Jamie Cooks It Up!

Pour it, nice and warm over the top of some vanilla ice cream.

Raspberry Syrup from Jamie Cooks It Up!

Or drizzle it over a lovely stack of pancakes…any way you serve it, I do believe you will love it. Be sure to store leftovers in the fridge. 🙂

Enjoy!

Pinterest friendly image below…

Homemade Raspberry Syrup Jamie Cooks It Up!

Mary Lou
    July 25, 2013 at 12:39 am

I got my raspberries for $5.99 a case. Nice big ones from Calif.

July 25, 2013 at 10:13 am

Yumolicious!

July 25, 2013 at 12:00 pm

This looks wonderful, and I am guessing it will freeze well… I’m going to try it!

Amy Burris
    July 25, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Hey Jamie,
    Can I use cherries in this recipe instead of raspberries?
    thanks

July 26, 2013 at 9:40 am

Hi Amy,
      I haven’t ever tried it with cherries. My thoughts are that you may need to chop the cherries up into tiny pieces, or even blend them up. Let me know if you try it and how it goes!

Denise
    August 3, 2013 at 8:19 pm

We just made this tonight and it was wonderful! The perfect combination of sweetness and tartness. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Kaytlin
    March 30, 2014 at 10:35 am

Can you use strawberries instead of raspberries?

April 1, 2014 at 6:52 am

Kaytlin,
      I haven’t ever tried it with strawberries, but I think it would work out great. I would chop them up into small pieces first. Good luck!

Trista Bytheway
    April 15, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I have a big bag of frozen raspberries. What are the approx. cup measurements of 12 oz. of raspberries?

Colleen
    May 6, 2014 at 8:51 am

Just made this recipe and I got jam. So thick I had to add another cup of water and it’s still got an odd consistency… wish I’d followed my instincts (which said that cornstarch has no place in a syrup) 🙁

Emma
    June 30, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I just googled a raspberry syrup recipe, and low and behold trusty Jamie Cooks it Up was the 4th recipe down. I didn’t bother to look at any others. I plan to try this tomorrow with the raspberries I just picked. Thanks!

Nancy Carlson
    July 24, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Hi Jaime,

I know this is an older post, but I was just wondering if you can freeze this??
    Sincerely,
    Nancy Carlson

July 28, 2014 at 8:41 am

Hi Nancy,
      I haven’t ever tried to freeze this syrup. I think it would most likely work, but the texture might be a bit clumpy. I would suggest reheating it slowly on the stove top. Best of luck to you!

Chris
    August 19, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Does it can well?

August 20, 2014 at 6:43 am

Chris,
      I haven’t ever tried to can it. Not sure if it would hold up to safety regulations.
      Best of luck to you,

Corina
    August 22, 2014 at 6:52 am

Hi Jamie 🙂 Can I canned this syrup for a long time?
    Thank you!

Alaskan
    August 29, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Re canning: I’ve canned (hot water bath method) a version of this syrup with just lemon juice, water, sugar and berries from my bushes. It works fine. My syrup is strained through cheesecloth, though, so has none of the seeds of pulp. Tastes great!

December 14, 2014 at 10:43 am

This is a fabulous fresh uncooked syrup from “Cooking Alaskan”. We’ve been making it for 30 years.

Raspberry Hope Stir

Equal parts fresh raspberries & granulated sugar

Stir together until mixture liquefies. Store in a cool place (refrigerator or cellar) and continue to stir every day for 14 days. Strain if seedless syrup is desired.

This delicious topping will store all winter without fermenting if stirred without fail as directed and stored in a cool place.

If I strain it, I add vodka to the remaining seeds and pulp, let it sit for several days/weeks and strain again for a beautiful raspberry vodka.

Serving suggestions:
    pancakes & waffles
    hot cereal
    ice cream
    shortcake
    beverages

Sue Lacerra
    December 23, 2014 at 9:35 pm

At Chalet Suisse restaurant in Aruba they serve Frambois Kisses — raspberry sauce over ice cream. Delicious. Thanks for your recipe.

March 7, 2015 at 4:11 am

I’ve learn some good stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for
    revisiting. I wonder how so much attempt you set to make
    one of these wonderful informative web site.

Darlee
    March 29, 2015 at 10:48 am

I just made this and it is delicious! !!! The corn starch gave it a perfect thickness and it was beautiful on our pancakes! this was my first shot for home made syrup. My Grandmother used to make delicious syrup but it was so runny.. yours is perfectly thick and wonderful! Thank you!

March 30, 2015 at 6:13 am

Darlee,
      So happy to hear it turned out well! Thanks so much for letting me know.
      Have a great day,

Kathie
    September 18, 2015 at 12:59 pm

I need to know how many raspberries in cups; because I have fresh home grown raspberries/strawberries. Thanks

Sharnya
      October 14, 2015 at 9:24 pm

That should be around 1 Cup and a 1/2 Cup.

Sharnya
    October 14, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Literally finished makings this minutes ago. Love the plup-ish consistently of the syrup

Darl Smith
    October 18, 2016 at 5:32 am

I made this last night! It’s delicious & I agree with many others-Perfect consistency! Especially for ice cream! I froze some too-so hopefully it comes out from freezer OK!

October 26, 2016 at 7:55 am

Darl,
      So happy to hear you enjoyed this recipe! I bet it will come out of the freezer quite well.
      Best,

Kai
    July 16, 2017 at 2:13 pm

I have a bunch of frozen raspberries, I’d like to make a dessert sauce and can up to for storage. Any recipe for that?