SocialBoost 728×90 ATF

Puffy Taco Casserole

Puffy Taco Casserole

A few days ago MyLittleTwinBoysAaron sat down at the kitchen counter, rested his chin in his hands and simply said…

“Mom, I want you to tell me a story.”

“Oh yeah?” I said. “What kind of story would you like?”

“I want one about you. Tell me how it was when you were in your PRIME.”

I chuckled. Can you blame me? What kind of 7-year-old asks that kind of question. A boy who listens to his 16-year-old brother talk, I would suppose.

“Sure, I can tell you a story about me, but isn’t this my PRIME! I think I’m in my prime right now, wouldn’t you say?”

“Oh, no way Mom. You are totally past your prime. You’re like Prime-less.”

I laughed so hard, I almost cried. He was pretty proud of himself for thinking of such a funny joke the whole family got a chuckle out of.

After we had a good laugh with Aaron and his comedic personality, I had to ask myself with all of the seriousness I could muster…am  I Prime-less?  Has my life passed me by while I wasn’t looking! When I signed up to be a Mom, I totally expected it to be really, really great. Significantly great. I was naive of just how busy, exhausting, occasionally frustrating, and down right chaotic motherhood is. But at the end of every day, I can honestly say that being a Mom is the most amazing and wonderful thing that has ever happened to me.  A challenge? Yes. Laden with grunt work? You betcha…dirty toilets here I come.

When all is said and done, loving on these kids of mine…watching and helping them grow, learn, develop, make mistakes, successfully tackle challenges and blossom into capable individuals, well. It’s quite simply the privilege of a lifetime.

Even if it appears to some that I am past my PRIME.

I do believe, I am smack dab in the middle of it.

Puffy Taco Casserole from Jamie Cooks It Up!

If you are looking for a kid pleasing, family friendly meal, this Puffy Taco Casserole is it!  All of my kids gave it the thumbs up. Love it when that happens.  It’s chuck full of puffy biscuits, hearty taco meat and melted cheese. Top it with sour cream, salsa, crisp lettuce and juicy tomatoes for a meal that is sure to please. It’s a fun twist on regular tacos. 🙂

Let’s make it. You and me, baby. While we are still in our PRIME…

Puffy Taco Casserole from Jamie Cooks It Up!!

Puffy Taco Casserole

Time: 20 minutes prep + 30 minutes baking
Yield: 6-7 servings
Recipe from sweet Amber Moleff

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 (10.75 ounce) condensed tomato soup
2  T taco seasoning (or a 1 ounce package)
3/4 C water
1 (16.3 ounce) package Pillsbury Homestyle Grand Buttermilk Biscuits
2 C Mexican Blend Cheese, grated

TOPPINGS:
Sour Cream
Salsa
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Green Onion
Olives

IMG_8689

1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Into a hot skillet place 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef. Cook it over medium high heat, stirring frequently until the meat is browned. Drain any excess fat from the meat.

IMG_8690

3. Add 1 can tomato soup, 3/4 cup water…

IMG_8692

and 2 tablespoons (or 1 package) taco seasoning. Give everything a nice stir and let it simmer on the stove top for 3-4 minutes.

IMG_8693

4. Grab a can of Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits.

IMG_8696

Chop each biscuit into 8-9 pieces.

IMG_8697

5. Drop the biscuit pieces into the taco meat

IMG_8698

and gently stir them in, so all the dough is covered in some of the meat.

IMG_8700

6. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and spread the mixture into it.

IMG_8718

7. Bake for 20 minutes, of until the meat mixture is bubbly and the biscuits are golden brown.

IMG_8720

8. Cover the casserole with 2 cups shredded cheese. I used a Mexican Cheese blend, but just plain cheddar would work as well. Toss the pan back into the oven and bake for 8 more minutes or until the cheese is melted.

IMG_8773

9. Let the pan sit on your counter and cool for 5 minutes, then cut it into slices.

IMG_8776
Top each piece with whatever suites your fancy. I opted for sour cream, salsa…

IMG_8702

and all of these fine treasures. You can add whatever you like.

Enjoy!

IMG_8779

Rebecca
    October 23, 2013 at 8:49 am

This looks so yummy! I can’t wait to make it for my family.

October 23, 2013 at 9:02 am

I don’t think that you can get package Pillsbury Homestyle Grand Buttermilk Biscuits in the UK. What could you use as an alternative? also, when you use chocolate pudding, is that the same as chocolate instant whip over here

Rebecca
      October 23, 2013 at 10:39 am

I’d like to make this recipe, too, but I plan on making my own biscuits from scratch, and even adding some wheat flour, and probably adding a little less butter than called for for a healthier biscuit. It’s more work, but biscuits are easy and it’s worth the effort to eat healthier.

Km Koesler
      October 25, 2015 at 11:27 am

American biscuits are a bread leavened with baking powder. A quick search on google should bring you up a workable recipe.

Katrina
    October 23, 2013 at 9:40 am

I love your story! I have been having some rough days as a mom to 4! The other day I wondered what happened to my life and would I do this again now that I know what I know!? I needed to be reminded of what a gift it can be to be a mother! Thanks!!

Susan
    October 23, 2013 at 10:29 am

Jamie: Trust me–you are in your “Prime” and probably will be for quite a while!!! 🙂 (we just keep getting better and BETTER!!)

Susan
    October 23, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I think Prime starts early and never really ends for creative people! We don’t stop getting better.

Heather
    October 23, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Jamie your son is hilarious! We have those moments with a family of 3 girls. We are silly and loud. Your not primeless 🙂 your receipes are amazing. This is an example of a great family dinner choice.

Lauren
    November 5, 2013 at 7:49 am

Yum, yum, yum, and YUM!!! We made this the last week and everyone loved it! I Substituted the tomato soup for diced tomatoes though (because that’s what we had on hand). Also omitted the water to adjust and it was fantastic! Definitely making this again! Like tomorrow. 😉

Denise
    November 6, 2013 at 6:50 pm

This was super easy and my picky seven year-old boy actually ate it. Yahoo!! Thanks for the great, easy recipe.

Julie
    January 10, 2014 at 1:11 pm

This was delicious! We had it for dinner last night. Thank you so much, Jamie, for sharing your talents & recipes with us!

Teresa R.
    February 26, 2014 at 8:06 pm

thanks Jamie for another great recipe. made this the other day. and loved it. gave my son some for him and my DIL to try. my DIL loved it. DIL ate it all. she got the recipe so she can make it and my son can try it.

Julie J
    July 8, 2014 at 7:57 am

My 18-year-old son made this for dinner last night (because I’m laid up right now). We used 16 oz. tomato sauce instead of the soup and water. It was a hit!!!

Stargazer
    February 19, 2015 at 5:57 am

Pillsbury GRANDS biscuits have a high amount of trans fats!