The winner of the $100 Amazon Gift Card is Susanna Williams comment #252. Congratulations to you! I will contact you shortly for your shipping info. Thanks to all those who entered!
A couple of weeks ago I bought the ingredients to make a batch of S’more Cookies, fully intending to take them along to a backyard barbecue at my sister in law’s house. The afternoon of the party proved to be that Special Kind of Crazy where wild things happen every few minutes and the time to bake cookies simply evaporates into thin air.
You’ve seen that kind of thing happen, haven’t you?
Anyhow, I was left with only small window of opportunity to make a marvelous dessert. I opted to use my ingredients to make Chocolate Chip Cookie S’more Bars, instead of the cookies and boy howdy! It was the right thing to do. Not only did making a bar version save time…but they were super delicious. My siblings, nieces and nephews and I gobbled them up in a hurry.
I made them again yesterday so I could take some pictures for you all. I thought a few of you might be all over this recipe, seeing as summertime is upon us and that Special Kind of Crazy might be visiting you soon.
I’m pretty sure it has moved into my house to stay.
Pass the Diet Coke. 🙂
Chocolate Chip Cookie S’more Bars
2 1/8 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 C butter
1 C brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla
1 (12 ounce) package milk chocolate chips
9 whole graham crackers
4 T butter, melted
1 T milk
1/2 (16 ounce) bag mini marshmallows
4-6 (1.55 ounce) Hershey chocolate bars
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
2. Into a medium-sized mixing bowl, place 2 1/8 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Toss it all around a bit to combine.
3. In a separate bowl place 3/4 cup butter. Pop it in the microwave and melt it down.
4. Add 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar. Stir to combine.
5. Into a small bowl place 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk. Whisk them together with a fork.
Then, add them to the butter/sugar mixture. Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla as well and stir it in to combine.
6. Grab 9 whole graham crackers…
and place them in a gallon sized Ziploc bag. Crush them into crumbs with a rolling-pin. Just pound the ever lovin’ daylights out of ’em. Release your aggression on the crackers, man. They can take it. 🙂
7. Add 4 T melted butter and a dash of salt to the bag and then just smash the bag a bit to mix the butter into the crumbs. A classy technique, right. 🙂 Why dirty another bowl! Just mix it in the bag.
8. Pour half of the graham cracker mixture and half of the flour mixture into the melted butter mixture.
Give it a stir…
and add 1 tablespoon milk and the rest of the graham crackers and flour. Stir just until combined.
9. Add 1 (12 ounce) package of milk chocolate chips and stir until combined.
10. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and dump the dough into it. Don’t worry if it’s a little crumbly. 🙂
11. Press the dough into the pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until the top is slightly crispy. You don’t want to over bake these. They taste much better if they are a little underbaked.
12. Take the pan out of the oven and pour half a bag of mini marshmallows on top of the partially cooked bars.
14. While your bars are baking, grab 4 Hershey bars…
and break them into pieces.
15. When the cookie bars are still warm from the oven, press the bars over the top of the marshmallows. Allow the bars to cool for a few minutes and then dig in. Just a word of caution to those of you who are worried about presentation. 🙂 They will look a lot better if you let them cool completely before cutting. However, the Hershey bars will have melted quit a lot. A great thing in the taste department, yes?
I like the look of the Hershey bars on top, so once the bars were cooled I pressed more chocolate over the melted chocolate. Adding more chocolate never hurt a cookie bar, right?