Easy Homemade Twix Bars

Easy Homemade Twix Bars

I have to admit, sometimes when I am searching the vast internet (especially pinterest) for recipes, I am always baffled when I see a recipe for homemade candy bars. (Excepting these fabulous Homemade Peanut Butter Cups, which are truly to DIE for). Aside from the a fore mentioned pbcups, why spend the time to make a homemade peppermint paddy/milky way/snickers/twix, when you can just pick one up from the store for 50 cents and then you don’t have to wash extra dishes, you know what I am saying here? Hershey seems to have pretty much mastered the art of candy bar making, was my thinking.

But then.

Oh, baby.

Was I ever wrong.

My eyes have been opened.

My friend Colette brought these FABULOUS Homemade Twix Bars to a Relief Society gathering we had a couple of weeks ago. People were swarming them, truly. I may or may not have secretly loaded a few onto my plate to bring home and eat in my closet the next day share with my wonderful family.  They are slightly salty with a wonderful layer of caramel and chocolate. They are not hard to make (don’t worry about spending hours hand dipping little homemade cookies into caramel and chocolate…this is not that kind of recipe). It’s an easy to make, crowd pleasing, run-an-extra-15-miles kind of recipe.

Let me show you how to make them happen!

Easy Homemade Twix Bars Jamie Cooks It Up!

Easy Homemade Twix Bars

Time: 15 minute prep + 40 minutes to cool and set
Yield: 1 (9×13) pan, cut them as large or small as you like
Recipe adapted from my sweet friend Colette Braithwaite

48 Club Crackers (about half a 13 ounce box)
1 C crushed graham crackers
3/4 C brown sugar
1/3 C white sugar
1/3 C milk
1/2 C butter
3 C milk chocolate chips (or 1 1/2 C milk chocolate chips &  1 1/2 C white chocolate chips)

IMG_9951_edited-1

1. Spay a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and grab a box of Club Crackers.

IMG_9952_edited-1

2. Lay 24 crackers over the bottom of the pan.

IMG_9953_edited-1

3. Into a gallon sized ziploc bag place about 10 whole graham crackers.

IMG_9954_edited-1

Close the bag securely and crush the crackers into fine crumbs.

IMG_9955_edited-1

Pour 1 cup of the crushed graham crackers into a medium-sized sauce pan.

IMG_9956_edited-1

4. Add 3/4 C brown sugar, 1/3 C white sugar, 1/3 C milk and 1/2 C butter.

IMG_9961_edited-1

5. Get it to the stove top and bring it to a boil over medium high heat. Allow it to boil fo 5 minutes while you stir constantly.

IMG_9962_edited-1

6. Carefully pour the hot caramel over the top of the crackers.

IMG_9964_edited-1

Like so…:)

IMG_9965_edited-1

7. Gently place 24 more Club Crackers over the top of the caramel.

IMG_9968_edited-1

Press them into the caramel just a bit. Pop the pan into the fridge for at least 30 minutes so the caramel has the chance to set up a bit.

IMG_9974_edited-1

8. Place 3 cups milk chocolate chips (or 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips and 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips) in a bowl. Pop it into the microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. Repeat heating the chips in 30 second intervals until they are smooth and melted.

IMG_9977_edited-1

9. Pour the chocolate over the top of the crackers.

IMG_9978_edited-1

Then smooth it out. Pop it back into the fridge for about 20 minutes to let the chocolate set up.
10. Cut them into bars before they are all the way set up. You don’t want to leave the pan in the fridge for too long, lest the caramel layer turns too hard.

Serve and enjoy!

Easy Homemade Twiz Bars from Jamie Cooks It Up!!

Pinterest friendly image below…

Easy Homemade Twix Bars for Pinterst

September 24, 2014 at 7:39 am

Oh man those look good and easy…will have to try those soon!!!

Judi
    September 24, 2014 at 11:08 am

You are my new hero!!! I even think I may love you… Thank you!

Denise
    September 24, 2014 at 11:39 am

So how long do you suggest they stay in the fridge? an hour ?

September 24, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Denise,
      Mine had set up enough after 20 minutes of being in the fridge.
      Good luck!

Tracy
    September 24, 2014 at 3:03 pm

What’s the substitute for club crackers…I’m in Australia.

Glenda
      September 24, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Yes I’d like to know what to use instead of Club Crackers. I’m in Canada.

September 24, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Hi Glenda,
        Any kind of butter crackers or saltine crackers that are square or rectangular in shape would work. Good luck!

September 24, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Hi Tracy,

Dorie
    September 24, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Hi! I love your website and am making these as I type…is it 32 or 24 Club crackers per layer? I count 24 in the pics and that’s what I could fit in there but I didn’t know if you doubled them up at some point. You do an amazing job providing ideas for comforting family friendly food, keep up the great work!

September 24, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Hi Dorie,
      Thanks for catching my error. 🙂 You need 24 crackers per layer…as the pictures depicts. Thanks for writing in to make me aware of the mistake.
      Hope you love them!

September 25, 2014 at 2:31 pm

after i cut them froze them on cookie sheet then bagged them.they loved them frozen. cut in about 1/2 inch like regular ones

Bethany in Boone
    September 26, 2014 at 7:17 am

These are so incredibly good. Thank you for passing this recipe along.

gecota
    December 20, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I gave the recipe a hairy eyeball when it said club crackers instead of instructions for shortbread cookies…but this is a fantastic clone of Twix. Making them for Christmas.

December 20, 2014 at 8:10 pm

my chocolate didn’t set up so they were messy so i froze them now everyone heads for the freezer they loved them

Lee Batrincha
    September 26, 2015 at 10:16 pm

I made these today and they are great! I was skeptical about using saltine soda buscuits, but the salt works very well with the sweet…….. I accidentally added too much white sugar,but no one could tell……
    I added a teaspoon or so, of vegetable oil to the choclate chips in the microwave, as I used white chips too, and it was not melting so well, and I was afraid the chocolate would seize.
    The recipe turned out perfect, though, and hubby is still eating them. Thanks so much for the recipe…… I am always looking for and trying copycat recipes.. This one was easy and I will make them often……. Thanks again Jamie!

Lianne Jayne Faulkne
    May 19, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Hi wondering what c means in ingredients can’t understand how much of stuff needed !? Thanks Lianne

Ruth McCormick
    May 26, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Can I use dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate? It’s my fave!

June 2, 2016 at 7:49 am

Ruth,
      Dark chocolate would work out great!
      Best,

October 15, 2016 at 9:36 am

I made these for my son’s high school bake sale this week…and they LOVED them! All of the moms were asking me for the recipe. This is a favorite! Making them again for a trivia night tonight!