Do you have two bananas sitting on your counter?
Go ahead and look. I will wait right here.
You have a couple brown spotted beauties, don’t ya? Join the club. I feel like there are brown spotted bananas sitting on my counter 90% of the time! I’m always looking for new ways to use them up. Buttery Blonde Banana Bread is one of my favorites, as well as these amazing Glazed Banana Bars. Earlier this week I went on a search to find a great recipe for Banana Streusel Muffins. I adapted a recipe I found at Taste of Home, and the result were fantastic. The muffins are moist and sweet, the streusel topping crisp and sugary. They made a great after school snack.
Hope some of you get a chance to make them!
Banana Streusel Muffins
Time: 15 min. prep + 20-25 min. baking
Yield: 18 muffins
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
2 C flour
1 C sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 C sour cream
2 bananas, ripe with brown spots on the peels
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C butter, melted
1/4 C sugar
3 Tb flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 Tb butter
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Into a large mixing bowl place 2 C flour, 1 C sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Toss it all together with a fork to combine.
3. Into a medium-sized mixing bowl place 2 eggs, 1 C sour cream, 2 ripe bananas and 1 tsp vanilla.
Blend them together with a hand-held mixer. (Or use your stand mixer, if you so choose). Make sure all the bananas get mashed up and well incorporated. You don’t want any big banana chunks. 🙂
4. Pour 1/4 C melted butter into the bowl. Mix it just until combined.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix it with a wooden spoon, just until incorporated. You want to be careful not to over mix here. You don’t want dry muffins.
6. To mix the streusel topping, place 1/4 C sugar, 3 Tb flour and 1/4 tsp cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Toss it together with a fork to combine.
7. Add 2 Tb cold butter and cut it in to the mixture. It should be a bit clumpy.
8. Scoop the banana batter into muffin tins. Fill them about 2/3 full.
9. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the top of the batter.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
11. Take the pan out of the oven and let it sit on your counter for 5 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan and let the cool on a wire rack.