Some food is more photogenic than others, is it not? I have to admit I loved taking pictures of these cute little desserts about 100 times more than I enjoy taking pictures of…say, beef stroganoff. Not that beef stroganoff doesn’t have some sturdy features of its own to offer, it just doesn’t pack as much curb appeal as this pretty little dessert. Just sayin’.
These Strawberry and Cream Napoleons are very easy to make, my friends! Yes, you read right and no, I am not kidding. You can make these! They are easier (and take less time!) than sugar cookies, are so pretty to look at, and would make your valentine grin from ear to ear. Whomever they may be. My kids love them, MyHandsomeHusband loves them, the ladies I go to lunch with love them, your grandma, her uncle, your neighbors brother…I bet they would all give them two thumbs up!
A flaky puff pastry is filled with a heavenly whipped cream cheese mixture, loaded with strawberries and drizzled with chocolate.
It is simply…
happiness on a plate.
They are just as wonderful cut into practical squares as well.
Strawberries and Cream Napoleons (with Puff Pastry)
Time: 1 hour
Yield: 24 pastries
Recipe adapted slightly from my sweet friend Cindi Schut
1 (17.3 ounce) box frozen Puff Pastry
2 C whipping cream
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 C powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 pounds strawberries
1/2 C semi sweet chocolate chips
1. Grab some frozen puff pastry sheets. You can find these at most grocery stores, usually along with the frozen fruit, and frozen whipped topping. You’ll want to let them thaw on the counter for about 20 minutes before you are ready to use them.
2. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
3. Spray your counter with cooking spray and lay each of the pastry sheets carefully onto it.
4. Open the sheets and remove the parchment paper. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut the pastry into shapes.
Or you can use a sharp knife to cut them into squares.
5. Spray two large baking sheets with cooking spray and carefully place the cut pastry onto it.
6. Bake (at 400 degrees) for 12-15 minutes or until the pastry has puffed and is golden brown along the outside.
7. Remove the to a wire rack and allow them to cool for 10 minutes. Then carefully split each pastry open, making a top and a bottom.
10. In your mixing bowl beat 1 package cream cheese until smooth. Add 1 C powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and a dash of salt and mix to incorporate. Add the cream cheese mixture to the whipped cream and fold it together.
11. Place the cream filling into a cake decorating bag with a large open tip. If you don’t have a cake decorating bag, don’t worry! You can use a gallon sized ziploc bag. Just carefully cut a hole into the edge of the bag once it has been loaded up with the filling.
11. Pipe the filling onto the bottom half of each pastry.
12. Slice some strawberries and place them on the filling. Now, if you want more berries, you can place some under the filling as well.
Cover with the other half of the pastry.
13. Place a little dollop of filling on top of the Napoleon and add another strawberry or two on top.
14. Sift a bit of powdered sugar over the top…
for a pretty presentation.
15. Into a small bowl place 1/2 C semi sweet chocolate chips. Melt them in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each cooking interval. When the chocolate is smooth…
Place a quart sized ziploc bag into a small cup and fold the sides of the bag over the edge of the cup. This will make it easier to get the chocolate into the bag! 🙂 Pour the melted chocolate into the cup.
16. Remove the bag from the cup and twist the top making a handle for your fingers. Snip a very small cut into the edge of the bag. Drizzle the chocolate over the Napoleons.
Like this. 🙂
Serve immediately, or pop them into the fridge until you are ready to serve. They can be made a few hours in advance.
Pinable photo below…